What's new

Just received my omega 49

Taken delivery of my first boar brush and actually my 2nd ever brush first one I've been using is a supermarket brought Wilkinson brush which has done the job for a complete newbie over the last couple of months although always loosing bristles and ending up on my face ...

So after reading many a view opted to buy a omega 49 and at 8 quid a bargain .. opened it up and sniffed it after all I'd read was the smell it comes with and to be honest I couldn't smell a thing maybe it's just my nose lol but decided to wash it washing up liquid just to remove any factory dirt grime and loose bits and then load it up from my puck and clean it of just as a extra... It's now sitting in a mug of cold water in the fridge for the next 24 hours before a 10 min rub on a towel and repeated for another 2 times as recommended to break in the brush ... All I'm knowing is I'm looking forward to my first shave with a boar brush ...

Marc

Break it in on your face like a real man.
The WS brush is hot garbage. I binned mine after it went bald and knotted up.

Congrats! My Omega 49 was my second shaving brush but the one that got me hooked on this hobby, the first was a cheap chinese synth that broke in pieces and was stiff and rough. The 49 felt immediately like a step up. The knot just is getting better and better. The handle broke during a fall and i put the fantastic knot on a RazoRock 400 handle. I just can´t stop using it.
IMG_Femme_20190414_205812_processed.jpg

Cheers

@Atinofpeas the ws def will be binned once my omega is sorted and did think about going straight in with omega but it speeds up the process from what I've read and videos I've watched...

@rreynoso I'd actually read about the handles easily breaking but for 8 quid but I must admit that handle looks damn good and it's the first I've heard about changing knots onto different handles is it a hard process ??

Marc

Congrats on a fine shaving brush. I used mine right out of the box and it had no smell that I could detect, and it has been a joy to use right from the start.

@rreynoso I'd actually read about the handles easily breaking but for 8 quid but I must admit that handle looks damn good and it's the first I've heard about changing knots onto different handles is it a hard process ??

Marc

Well mine broke after about two years of use and it was a big fall, the process of reknoting isn´t hard if you have a Dremel to remove the RR400 knot. I tried to use heat to remove it but the glue won´t budge and have to cut the synth knot and then remove the solid glue by drilling and burring. It´s the 2nd RR400 that I re-knot, for the first I used a 2 band badger knot but I gifted it.

Cheers

Been in fridge for 24 hours and done the 10 min rub on a dry towel damn does it makes a difference couldn't believe how much softer it felt and how much it splayed out .. gonna do it for another couple of days and gonna look forward to using the beast , I'll probably end up with my whole face covered in shaving soap the size of it lol

Marc

Congrats! My Omega 49 was my second shaving brush but the one that got me hooked on this hobby, the first was a cheap chinese synth that broke in pieces and was stiff and rough. The 49 felt immediately like a step up. The knot just is getting better and better. The handle broke during a fall and i put the fantastic knot on a RazoRock 400 handle. I just can´t stop using it.
View attachment 992071

Cheers

...but that shave bowl...where does one acquire one of those ??

Taken delivery of my first boar brush and actually my 2nd ever brush first one I've been using is a supermarket brought Wilkinson brush which has done the job for a complete newbie over the last couple of months although always loosing bristles and ending up on my face ...

So after reading many a view opted to buy a omega 49 and at 8 quid a bargain .. opened it up and sniffed it after all I'd read was the smell it comes with and to be honest I couldn't smell a thing maybe it's just my nose lol but decided to wash it washing up liquid just to remove any factory dirt grime and loose bits and then load it up from my puck and clean it of just as a extra... It's now sitting in a mug of cold water in the fridge for the next 24 hours before a 10 min rub on a towel and repeated for another 2 times as recommended to break in the brush ... All I'm knowing is I'm looking forward to my first shave with a boar brush ...

Marc

For bowl-lathering, it's hard to beat those monster Omegas!

I used mine today. It is a bit of a beast, excellent lather with the MWF. I'm breaking it in on my face, only because I didn't know any other break in methods!

...but that shave bowl...where does one acquire one of those ??
It's the Pereira unbreakable bowl, I got it on their Indiegogo campaign for $20 shipping included. The design is very good, the finishing not so. Feels plasticky and shiny, lots of flash to deburr and sink marks. For what I paid it wasn't so bad but not what they promised. Teached me about getting on another crowdfunding!

Cheers

I used mine today. It is a bit of a beast, excellent lather with the MWF. I'm breaking it in on my face, only because I didn't know any other break in methods!

Oh there is the MBBM method lol.
Mawashi Patented 15 min Boar Busting Method lol.

It's the Pereira unbreakable bowl, I got it on their Indiegogo campaign for $20 shipping included. The design is very good, the finishing not so. Feels plasticky and shiny, lots of flash to deburr and sink marks. For what I paid it wasn't so bad but not what they promised. Teached me about getting on another crowdfunding!

Cheers

Same here about my G-ro luggage, I paid close to $500 for a check in and a back pack... The check in is 4 plus kg and has less space than my cheap $80 Eminent 27"

The best lather bowl is just a simple $2 Daiso wooden Japanese rice bowl for me or my face lol.

The WS brush is hot garbage. I binned mine after it went bald and knotted up.
Sorry, I have to disagree.
My 49 is relegated to "display purposes only" because it's way too long and floppy, while the WS boar is still in rotation.
It's still in great shape, with no shedding beyond the first few shaves.
I'm assuming you're talking about the black oval handle WS boar brush?

You must have gotten a dud.

The 10049 is a wonderful brush! After 30-40 shaves you’ll be in heaven once all the ends split. Mine showed up pretty gamey smelling but it was worth powering through!

Sorry, I have to disagree.
My 49 is relegated to "display purposes only" because it's way too long and floppy, while the WS boar is still in rotation.
It's still in great shape, with no shedding beyond the first few shaves.
I'm assuming you're talking about the black oval handle WS boar brush?

You must have gotten a dud.

Hey John,

It could be you got a dud 49 too cos I broke mine in the MBBM way and it still has the backbone of a cane chair, plus I swapped mine for a 1800 with Rosseforp and he loves it.

I quote
"My notes say great lather, I never had to go back to the puck or water mug. The 49 sure is one big boy with a ton of backbone, but felt very nice on my face. Keeper!"

If you are looking for boars with serious backbone, the 10104 26/56mm, the 10051/10290 24/48mm are great. I only wished omega made a 25/48 in their banded hair.

Btw the 49 I swapped with Rosseforp is the same one in this post.
Mawashi Patented 15 min Boar Busting Method lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Last edited:

Cheers

Thanks for the info!

Marc
Great brush! If it splays too big, pinch the base of the knot. I loved the break in on mine. Very fun to feel the progression. I face lather and the 49 will make soaps tremble! A true lather monster. Congrats

Top Bottom