What's new

Just received my first ever DE shave set up. NEWB!

I would like to introduce myself and start by saying that I have been extremely intrigued with shaving with a SR or DE for a while and I finally pulled the trigger on getting my first set up. I'm so new to this whole thing, I didnt know what sandlewood smelled like until I received my soap today.:blushing:

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blades(for now): Derby Extras
Brush: Omega 10049 Boar Hair
Soap: 30 Degree Sandlewood Shave Soap

I've done some searching around in my area and CANNOT seem to find any VIBR. Any idea on locations I could possibly find it? I just don't want to wait around for it, and I dont really know what Clubman smells like. Only reason I know what VIBR is like is because my old barber used to use it on my neck after a straight razor.

Another question is do you guys have any tips for a new DE shaver? Maybe lathering tips or really just anything. It is all appreciated.

Be patient, and I've found that more lather is better. I face lather. It saves me a step and also sinks the lather between individual whiskers.

Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Practice makes perfect. That's why we practice. I shave every day, even weekends. Not just to practice but because I enjoy it now!

Sounds like a solid starter kit. I use the EJ8911, which is real similar. I've about six different styles and the EJ stills reigns supreme. I would say, don't be shy with the lather. More is better. Err on the side of too much, because too little is not so fun. Enjoy the shaves and welcome.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Zilvia forums are not even close to this inviting. Though I'm new and 4 nicks and counting haha, this is honestly now more of a hobby than a chore. Thanks again!

Welcome and enjoy! I lumped my tips into a guide (link in my signature).

The Edwin Jagger is a very commonly recommended razor for beginners and experts alike.

Welcome to B&B. Soak the bristles of that boar brush real well before loading. Shave wiki... mantic59 videos on youtube... don't chase all the whiskers on every pass, trust the next pass to reduce whiskers more than you're getting on the current one. And this means do not press the razor into your skin, just so long as the blade is touching, that's enough pressure.

Have fun!

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

You can order VIBR from many on-line vendors. West Coast Shaving comes to mind. While waiting for that, go to your local drug store and get some Aqua Velva Ice Blue. Classic and inexpensive. If you have a Family Dollar close by, they sell an Old Spice knock-off that is good also.

Thank you all again for such the warm welcome. I fully intend to provide any knowledge I can. This forum seems like a plethora of knowledge with a bunch of people willing to share it. Thanks again!

Sometimes a local pharmacy will have the VIBR, the one up the street from me does as does the beauty supply store. And, Welcome!!

Welcome! I started off with the same razor and brush and they're both still in my rotation. I just ordered some VIBR and it's set to arrive tomorrow. :w00t:

Top Bottom