What's new

Just purchased this 1924 ER Shovel head razor-Silver toned? Or Nickel plated?

The only razor type I shave with are “shovel heads “. I just purchased this one from eBay. Originally $16.50. I got it for $14.50 + $5 S & H. Excellent price I think. What would you say? Fair price?

Question

The plating, silver tone or nickel plated?

The advertisement said it is silver tone. I thought “Shovel head’s” were nickel plated. Which is it?

Correct, they are brass razors?
Brass heads? and brass handles?

Any comments on “Shovel head’s”? I would appreciate comments, positive or negative. There are very few current reviews are this razor. I hear they are not popular and well liked. Can anyone share, why?

It is not a perfect razor. For a vintage razor almost 100 years old +/-, with a GEM PTFE coated blade it provides an excellent shave.

Attachments

• IMG_4225.png
    IMG_4225.png
    399.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4199.png
    IMG_4199.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4200.png
    IMG_4200.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4208.png
    IMG_4208.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4209.png
    IMG_4209.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4206.png
    IMG_4206.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4205.png
    IMG_4205.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4204.png
    IMG_4204.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Nice razor. The plating is nickel, unless lt was replated by somebody.

These require a different angle than other Gem razors, with the head tilted slightly away from the face.

Don't know anything about the case, sorry.

Nice razor. The plating is nickel, unless lt was replated by somebody.

These require a different angle than other Gem razors, with the head tilted slightly away from the face.

Don't know anything about the case, sorry.
I thought so.

Thank you very much. Have nice day.

Do you know if there is an easy way to tell the difference between silver and nickel plating? If not I understand.

I thought so.

Thank you very much. Have nice day.

Do you know if there is an easy way to tell the difference between silver and nickel plating? If not I understand.
The appearance is a little bit different, with silver being a bit brighter, but the main thing is that silver tarnishes very quickly. A silver finish on a razor like that would have a fair bit of black on it within a few months, at most.

Top Bottom