What's new

Just purchased some AOS pre-shave oil!

I am excited to try it and see how much difference it makes as I have never used pre-shave oil. Also, purchased the Oud Cream as well. What are the boards thoughts on it?

Nice! I've tried their pre-shave gel, but not the oil. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Oud cream
Just shaved with the pre-shave oil this afternoon and I don't think I will ever go back. It provides a noticeably smoother, easier and closer shave. The Oud is nice. It reminds me a little bit of their Sandalwood. Very woodsy with little bit of amber! It is deeper than the Sandalwood and doesn't have the sweet vanilla of it as well.

Just shaved with the pre-shave oil this afternoon and I don't think I will ever go back. It provides a noticeably smoother, easier and closer shave. The Oud is nice. It reminds me a little bit of their Sandalwood. Very woodsy with little bit of amber! It is deeper than the Sandalwood and doesn't have the sweet vanilla of it as well.
Glad you liked them both! Pre-Shave Oil is a very controversial subject around here...but you can't argue with results. Glad you found something that works for you!

All I can tell you is that it has worked extremely well for me and someone saying it doesn't work doesn't change the performance for me. I am sold on it because the results for me speak for themselves.

If I'm going out I use the tub of pinaud barber cream I ordered as a preshave. I ordered it not knowing that it was brushless. It's very slick and gives you an extra close shave with soap but by itself it's pretty bad.

Many of us believe that with good technique and a high quality soap that preshave oil is an unnecessary step. I used it at first myself and have gotten away from it.

Also note that many preshave oils are nothing but oils you can find in your kitchen with a little fragrance added to them. The old school Italian Barbers used to use olive oil as a preshave oil some here have used the same.

I've also mixed some grapeseed oil and castor oil along with some lemon fragrance oil and ended up with pretty much the same thing that I could buy at Art of Shaving for $30. The castor oil was used to thicken the grapeseed oil up a bit to hit the same consistency as the AOS product. The biggest difference between mine and theirs was that for about eight bucks you can make enough to last you ten years.

If you like it , great. For me, I did not notice much of a difference on it , so not really worth the cost. I just like a good slick lather from a good cream or soap.

It's also the price, because you can make your own for much less with the same ingredients.
Gotcha but like most items up you can find it cheaper on eBay with no tax and free shipping. Found 2 bottles of AOS 2oz unscented preshave oil on eBay for $13.00 each with no tax and free shipping. Also found AOS Sandalwood cream for $18 with no tax and free shipping. Also found AOS Peppermint facial wash for $14.00 with no tax and free shipping.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It's a great product, Sir. Lately, I have been using the Floid pre-shave oil, which I find just as great but much less expensive.

I have tried it, and did not notice much of a difference. I thought it added unnecessary steps including having to wash it off my hands before attempting to hold my razor. I used the bottle until gone and gave it up. I don't need it.

I use pre-shave oil and AOS was the first one I tried. I find it to be good smelling (sandalwood) but way too heavy and thick. I found it collected on the bowl of the sink and required wiping it off. It's also very expensive. I've been using Caswell Massey and like the performance far better. It's also about half the price. I do like the scent of the AOS better but that's not as important as performance for me.

My first experience with pre-shave oils and it fell on Art of Shaving(AoS) Lemon.

Since I’ve never used pre-shave oils before it would be hard to judge precisely the good/bad parts of the product, but

First

As for the newbie and at first glance it is of very thick density and difficult to know the optimal volume of oil needed for the right pre-shave procedure.

Not well clear how much oil shall be consumed more/less. That’s a big minus considering the high price of the product.

Second

The oil has a nice subtle scent of lemon, nothing special but not irritating, overpowering cheap, chemical scent. That’s a plus.

Third

Performance of this pre-shave oil in comparison with pre-shave creams/soaps used by me in the past did not surprise me and I have not received any “wow” or any similar effect.

Moderate slickness. Did not prepare skin for shaving procedure well.

If you need a pre-shave product think twice, there are tons of better and cheaper alternatives.

Top Bottom