What's new

Just purchased some AOS pre-shave oil!

I've been using Caswell Massey's Sandalwood for a while now. It is much less thick and goopy than AOS, which I used for a bit. I also used TOBS. After my current batch of stuff runs out I'm must going to make my own with a mix of Castor Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil and Olive Oil.

Pre shave oil makes a big difference to those of us with sensitive skin who shave every day. I use Anthony For Men because I have a bottle of it, but prefer pure Argan oil, to be honest. Big difference post-shave if I use it.

I found AOS shave oil to thick. When I did use shave oil I used Argon oil. Much thinner.
Yeah, you're right. The AOS pre-shave oil is too thick indeed and creates additional difficulties with the usage of it prior to shaving procedure. I've already got used to it although I doubt that I would ever buy a pre-shave oil again. Awaiting when time comes ....

Yeah, you're right. The AOS pre-shave oil is too thick indeed and creates additional difficulties with the usage of it prior to shaving procedure. I've already got used to it although I doubt that I would ever buy a pre-shave oil again. Awaiting when time comes ....

I started using AOS pre-shave oil when I first started shaving with a double edge and also found it to be way too thick. It would leave all sorts of residue in the sink. I have since moved on to Caswell Massey’s pre-shave oil which is far better. I will say that AOS Sandalwood oil is an amazing scent. But the consistency just ruins it for me. I have no intention of buying anymore pre-shave oil after this last bottle is finished and if I continue to use pre-shave oil I will mix my own.

I started using AOS pre-shave oil when I first started shaving with a double edge and also found it to be way too thick. It would leave all sorts of residue in the sink. I have since moved on to Caswell Massey’s pre-shave oil which is far better. I will say that AOS Sandalwood oil is an amazing scent. But the consistency just ruins it for me. I have no intention of buying anymore pre-shave oil after this last bottle is finished and if I continue to use pre-shave oil I will mix my own.
Totally agree with you and your opinion. I might continue playing on with pre- shave creams and/or shaving creams for skin preparation purposes.

I tried glycerin soap today for the first time. Has anyone tried that instead of pre-shave oil? My initial impression of the glycerin soap is favorable.

I tried glycerin soap today for the first time. Has anyone tried that instead of pre-shave oil? My initial impression of the glycerin soap is favorable.
Hey dmshaver,
I used glycerin soap(Ach. Brito Lemon) as pre-shave and the peformance of that soap was good enough. The only thing I really disliked in this soap was the scent - awfull scent of animal fat. If you don't care about the smell, proceed...

Thanks for the heads up Alexander. My first use yesterday I didn’t notice any bad smell but I will be more aware of it these next few times to see if my nose can detect it. I may not have noticed it the first time, or I wonder if there was a formulation to mask the smell of the brand of soap I bought.

hey dmshaver,
You're welcome. One thing that you have to remember, that you do no have to nose/ hunt out the scent which you do not feel and which initially does not bother you. If it suits you, enjoy and don't listen others....

Any oil diminishes the surfactants in a shave soap and the ability to lather up as good as they would without using anything but the soap by itself so thats why I never use any oils but if you want a pre shave product a glycerin soap or a pre shave soap like Stirling makes works much better in my opinion. Oils can also add build up of gunk in a razor and especially to a TTO or an Adjustable.

Top Bottom