What's new

Just purchased my first electric razor in decades - would appreciate help!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I recently purchased a Panasonic Arc 5. It is really a great shaver so far. Almost as close as the best DE, and about 500% easier.

I have a few random questions about how exactly to use it and care for it. I am hopeful that someone more knowledgeable than myself will be able to help me.

First, the cleaning station. I seem to be in the minority in that I actually like this. The set it and forget it ability appeals to me. My question is, do I have to dry my Arc 5 off before using the cleaning station? (I shave in the shower.)

For the rare occasions I shave at the sink, what preshaves would you recommend? Would I shave before or after a shower?

Can I use my regular creams and soaps? If so, could you confirm that the lather should be wetter like in the below picture? Is there any difference in how you would go about making the lather?

proxy.php

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have and like my Arc 5. They are great electrics. I haven't used it in probably two years as I like using a razor, but they are a great shaver for sure.

I never liked using any electric wet. For pre-shave. Williams 'Lectric shave all the way.

I never liked the cleaning station at all and think the Arc-5 had the best idea wherein you put some hand soap on the screen and then press the power for a couple seconds and it does a high speed vibration, then take the screen off and do it again. To me this beats messing with any cleaning system ever invented. But if you like the station, use it.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 172018.png

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have and like my Arc 5. They are great electrics. I haven't used it in probably two years as I like using a razor, but they are a great shaver for sure.

I never liked using any electric wet. For pre-shave. Williams 'Lectric shave all the way.

I never liked the cleaning station at all and think the Arc-5 had the best idea wherein you put some hand soap on the screen and then press the power for a couple seconds and it does a high speed vibration, then take the screen off and do it again. To me this beats messing with any cleaning system ever invented. But if you like the station, use it.

View attachment 1622694
Silly question, but this intrigues me.

Do you reapply soap after you take off the outer foil, before running again?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Silly question, but this intrigues me.

Do you reapply soap after you take off the outer foil, before running again?
I have, but when doing it that way, I usually use the foaming hand soap type. There will be foamy soap inside when you take the foil off, but if you want more feel free to add a bit of the foaming type. I didn't want to add the liquid soap right to the blades. I just thought the foam would be better.

It gets is clean. They look like they have never been used once it dries.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Also I forgot to mention, when shaving with the 'Lectric shave, it was always before a shower. In my experience, electrics don't need the whiskers softened and hydrating the skin does NOT improve the shave in any way, in fact it hampers it.

In order -

The Panny cleaning station is great - and probably the cheapest to run of the lot between Braun, Philips and Panasonic. You don't need to dry the shaver before putting it in the station - but rinsing it off and running it briefly is always a good idea to at least "drip-dry." This gets rid of 99% of any shaver debris, and reduces most of the excess water so you don't dilute your cleaning solution. The cleaning solution takes care of cleaning, deodorizing and lubricating, with no other effort on your part. You might occasionally want to spray the attached trimmer with an aerosol lubricant like Remington's Shaver Saver. And as noted, the Panasonic is also very easy to clean manually, which I do on the road.

As far as preshaves, there are several I have used and recommend - Freelette, Williams and Aramis Lab Series. You can also use a standard DE preshave like Proraso's, or Jack Black's, or even a shave oil. All of them work (for lubricating the skin and making a shaver glide easier), and all of them are variably messy but rinse or wash off - I use them pre-shower. Basically, the same pre-shave routine I use for a DE shave.

You can use any regular soap or cream, or even the "goo in a can." I don't vary the consistency from what I use for DE shaving - the Arc 5 is a wet/dry shaver, and the cutter speed will automatically accommodate any thickness of lather or beard. Just rinse off the shaver thoroughly before inserting in the cleaning station. I lather with a brush and scuttle, the same as I do for a DE shave. Ovidiu at ShaverCheck has a different take on lather, and it works for him - thinner lather, massaged into the skin. The beauty of an electric wet/dry shaver is that almost any consistency will work, and I encourage anyone to experiment. You'll find that you get a closer, more comfortable shave with lather. With a caveat or two - first, it's easier to press harder shaving wet. Don't do it. You can still get razor burn, you just won't notice it right away. Second, specifically because of the closer shave, you might experience more ingrown hairs eventually - all depending on your skin, beard and technique, and actually razor (rotary or foil). Or you might not. Experiment - everything heals! So just like DE shaving (or actually straight, cart or SE), the kind of shave you get with an electric depends on a few variables, that you can change to see which works best (with the important exception of shaving exclusively dry - no preshave, no water, no soap - which you can do with an electric). Don’t try that with an R41 kiddies.:001_tongu But just as with a blade shave, your shave may be different with a different razor, different prep, different soap, or different post-shave. It's all good, and I encourage anyone to try what they feel comfortable with - understanding that one shave does not make a success or failure of any of the previous.

proxy.php

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

View attachment 1622694
Thank you sir, for the detailed explanation. A question for you, or whomever: I understand that it takes awhile to get used to dry shaving with an electric razor, say, with Lectric shave. Your skin adapts, apparantly. Does switching midway to wet shaving undo this accustomization? In other words, is it accurate to say that I shouldn't alternate between wet and dry shaving?
I have, but when doing it that way, I usually use the foaming hand soap type. There will be foamy soap inside when you take the foil off, but if you want more feel free to add a bit of the foaming type. I didn't want to add the liquid soap right to the blades. I just thought the foam would be better.

It gets is clean. They look like they have never been used once it dries.
Smart move. Agreed! Although because I don't have liquid hand soap, hopefully applying the soap directly to the blade rather than the foil is unnecessary.
Also I forgot to mention, when shaving with the 'Lectric shave, it was always before a shower. In my experience, electrics don't need the whiskers softened and hydrating the skin does NOT improve the shave in any way, in fact it hampers it.
Thank you sir. Very useful.
If not using real lather, Lectric Shave rocks before the shower.
Agreed. The trouble is if I shave before a shower, it's not quite as close as shaving in the shower with a proper cream.
In order -

The Panny cleaning station is great - and probably the cheapest to run of the lot between Braun, Philips and Panasonic. You don't need to dry the shaver before putting it in the station - but rinsing it off and running it briefly is always a good idea to at least "drip-dry." This gets rid of 99% of any shaver debris, and reduces most of the excess water so you don't dilute your cleaning solution. The cleaning solution takes care of cleaning, deodorizing and lubricating, with no other effort on your part. You might occasionally want to spray the attached trimmer with an aerosol lubricant like Remington's Shaver Saver. And as noted, the Panasonic is also very easy to clean manually, which I do on the road.

As far as preshaves, there are several I have used and recommend - Freelette, Williams and Aramis Lab Series. You can also use a standard DE preshave like Proraso's, or Jack Black's, or even a shave oil. All of them work (for lubricating the skin and making a shaver glide easier), and all of them are variably messy but rinse or wash off - I use them pre-shower. Basically, the same pre-shave routine I use for a DE shave.

You can use any regular soap or cream, or even the "goo in a can." I don't vary the consistency from what I use for DE shaving - the Arc 5 is a wet/dry shaver, and the cutter speed will automatically accommodate any thickness of lather or beard. Just rinse off the shaver thoroughly before inserting in the cleaning station. I lather with a brush and scuttle, the same as I do for a DE shave. Ovidiu at ShaverCheck has a different take on lather, and it works for him - thinner lather, massaged into the skin. The beauty of an electric wet/dry shaver is that almost any consistency will work, and I encourage anyone to experiment. You'll find that you get a closer, more comfortable shave with lather. With a caveat or two - first, it's easier to press harder shaving wet. Don't do it. You can still get razor burn, you just won't notice it right away. Second, specifically because of the closer shave, you might experience more ingrown hairs eventually - all depending on your skin, beard and technique, and actually razor (rotary or foil). Or you might not. Experiment - everything heals! So just like DE shaving (or actually straight, cart or SE), the kind of shave you get with an electric depends on a few variables, that you can change to see which works best (with the important exception of shaving exclusively dry - no preshave, no water, no soap - which you can do with an electric). Don’t try that with an R41 kiddies.:001_tongu But just as with a blade shave, your shave may be different with a different razor, different prep, different soap, or different post-shave. It's all good, and I encourage anyone to try what they feel comfortable with - understanding that one shave does not make a success or failure of any of the previous.

proxy.php
That was an awesome write up. Thank you sincerely. What is "panny"? Panasonic? And, that is a great idea about running it outside of the water for a bit, to get rid of the water. I will do that tomorrow.

I too have discovered, and read through, article after article on Shavercheck. Ovidiu is definitely very far down the rabbit hole. In seriousness, I admire his methodical nature, and his devotion to helping others. Reading his articles convinced me not to spend $400 on an Arc6, and get a more reasonable Arc 5 for $150. Not worth the price difference!

What most challenging is determining how slow I have to shave. I find that when I shave in short strokes, that cover the same area multiple times, my shave is closer - just like with DE shaving. I still have to find that sweet spot of how much to shave. Some days I am BBS, others DFS, and the only difference is whether I took an extra 5 minutes to go over spots from a different angle. I'll get there I hope!

Thank you sir, for the detailed explanation. A question for you, or whomever: I understand that it takes awhile to get used to dry shaving with an electric razor, say, with Lectric shave. Your skin adapts, apparantly. Does switching midway to wet shaving undo this accustomization? In other words, is it accurate to say that I shouldn't alternate between wet and dry shaving?

Smart move. Agreed! Although because I don't have liquid hand soap, hopefully applying the soap directly to the blade rather than the foil is unnecessary.

Thank you sir. Very useful.

Agreed. The trouble is if I shave before a shower, it's not quite as close as shaving in the shower with a proper cream.

That was an awesome write up. Thank you sincerely. What is "panny"? Panasonic? And, that is a great idea about running it outside of the water for a bit, to get rid of the water. I will do that tomorrow.

I too have discovered, and read through, article after article on Shavercheck. Ovidiu is definitely very far down the rabbit hole. In seriousness, I admire his methodical nature, and his devotion to helping others. Reading his articles convinced me not to spend $400 on an Arc6, and get a more reasonable Arc 5 for $150. Not worth the price difference!

What most challenging is determining how slow I have to shave. I find that when I shave in short strokes, that cover the same area multiple times, my shave is closer - just like with DE shaving. I still have to find that sweet spot of how much to shave. Some days I am BBS, others DFS, and the only difference is whether I took an extra 5 minutes to go over spots from a different angle. I'll get there I hope!
Sorry - "Panny" = Panasonic. DE, SE, BBS, DFS, ATG, YMMV, AS, GFT, CFG, NO - we get used to using the secret abbreviations on B&B (there, did it again! :001_tongu).

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Getting much, much better at this. Both dry and wet. It helps that I love the smell of Lectric Shave. Definitely not an over in two minutes process. The work I have done mapping my beard makes it much easier!

I understand that it takes awhile to get used to dry shaving with an electric razor, say, with Lectric shave. Your skin adapts, apparantly. Does switching midway to wet shaving undo this accustomization? In other words, is it accurate to say that I shouldn't alternate between wet and dry shaving?

This is the same question I have - I've been shaving cartridge again for some months, and I suppose that means my skin has to adapt all over again for the electric?

Thanks!
Leo

Generally true, but I alternate routinely between different electrics (and between foil and rotary), as well as different DE razors (and blades). I usually stick with one electric for a month or so, but I alternate DEs daily (unless using an electric). Probably because I've done it for so long (and perhaps wet ehaving as well), it usually just takes a couple of electric shaves to get back in the saddle, and depending (foil-to-foil or rotary-to-rotary), not even that. It, as they say, depends....:biggrin1:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
This is the same question I have - I've been shaving cartridge again for some months, and I suppose that means my skin has to adapt all over again for the electric?

Thanks!
Leo

Generally true, but I alternate routinely between different electrics (and between foil and rotary), as well as different DE razors (and blades). I usually stick with one electric for a month or so, but I alternate DEs daily (unless using an electric). Probably because I've done it for so long (and perhaps wet ehaving as well), it usually just takes a couple of electric shaves to get back in the saddle, and depending (foil-to-foil or rotary-to-rotary), not even that. It, as they say, depends....:biggrin1:

I guess I can stick exclusively with pre shower Lectric Shaves for a couple of weeks, to see if they get better. I don't know how well I will do if things don't start to improve after the first week!

Although the shaves are more socially acceptable then real close, I still don't go against the grain as my skin doesn't agree with that, even after being adapted to my electric. So I am amazed the shaves are still real good (I look clean shaven) despite not going against the grain. I am so relieved to find this out, as I love my Braun Series 9.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Thanks!
Leo

I guess I can stick exclusively with pre shower Lectric Shaves for a couple of weeks, to see if they get better. I don't know how well I will do if things don't start to improve after the first week!

Update:

After only 2 days of shaving dry with Lectric Shave, my skin was getting a bit irritated. Switching back to the shower, that's definitely better.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I would try to electric shave in the shower but it's hard to trim around my goatee. I hope your irritation goes away fast :001_smile
That is exactly what I have done, and am switching back to. Certainly easier and faster than DE shaving, and very nearly as close as my most efficient razor.

Regardless if you use a pre-shave or not it takes a couple of weeks consistently using the electric shaver to become accustomed to using it. When I first started using a screen type shaver from a Phillips rotary shaver, around 1973, I had some issues with irritation due to razor drag, especially in humid atmospheric conditions. Back then I used a dry pre-shave powder on my face. I tried the Williams Lectric shave and didn’t like it. There are stick type pre-shave powders available on Amazon. However, since having central air conditioning I can shave dry before taking a shower with no problems. Also, it takes a while to learn how much or little pressure is required on different parts of your face with an electric shaver.

Top Bottom