What's new

just purchased a 1912 gem junior.

What can I expect in comparison to my medium aggressive DE?
Any advice on how to use/angle/pressure, etc?

The angle will be shallower. The Gem instructions actually say to put the cap flat against the face, but most find the best efficiency by going just a bit steeper (i.e. tilt the cap a bit away from the face). Still, overall, the angle will be shallower than with most DEs. The correct angle will be pretty apparent, as you will HEAR when it is right. It will be the sound of buttering toast. The 1912 is a loud razor, and while it may sound rough, it will shave smooth. I find the 1912 to be a medium aggressive razor, but that's by SE standards. I think you'll find it more efficient than your DE, all other things being equal. I find the 1912 will shave me about as close as I can reasonably stand, while still being pretty easy to use.

The Junior is a terrific razor, and you'll get some great shaves once you get it dialed in, which shouldn't take long.

Congrats, you should find the 1912 Junior to be a fine SE.
Did you get a metal handle, or black bakelite (thin or fat)?

All I can do is echo all the above comments, especially the details set forth by Sprang,
Almost all of the Gems are really good razors. On their own merits, they should be far more popular. The lack a broad choice of different blades removes some of their consumeristic appeal, and I seriously think this is why the Gems are not as sought-after. But their lack of popularity has nothing to do with the quality of the shave, which, as others have already said, is about as good as it gets.

Congratulations, that is a very good SE razor. For me it is a medium on the aggressive scale.

I used mine this morning.

The lack a broad choice of different blades removes some of their consumeristic appeal, and I seriously think this is why the Gems are not as sought-after.

This is exactly what drew me to SE shaving, the relief from endlessly searching for The One True Blade that plagues the DE crowd.

It's not a DE - it's a different sort of shaving experience, and difficult to compare. Don't think of it like a DE - approach it as a whole new shaving experience. Spang's advice is spot-on and their isn't much that I can add, other than that there is a learning curve. Give it at least 3 or 4 shaves before you draw any conclusions.

A word of caution: I tried my first SE last summer. Now I have a bunch of them and cannot remember the last time I shaved with a DE. It's a deep rabbit hole. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Top Bottom