What's new

Just pulled the trigger on a Karve

First off so much great intel on this forum, thanks for all of it
well after many months of reading on how great this shaver is I pulled the trigger on a new Karve 3.5 handle B and C plates. It was a close call between this and and a timeless SS 68 but I went this route because of the plate options. I’m hoping I love this set up but it’s a safe bet I will. Any thoughts on plate choices? I like the Rockwell 4 plate, Mergress 3 to 2.5 setting, Fatboy on 5. Now comes the wait oh boy.

You might find the B and C plates too mild for you. I use the Rockwell on plate 4 and I have pretty much settled on the E plate of the Karve. I ordered mine with the C and D plate and after using them I ordered the E and F plates.

Thanks Matt, ok well I can email Christopher and change the plates now. C,D I’m thinking or Would C,E be better?

The extra plates aren't expensive but the shipping to get them after the fact is. Just a thought... if it were me I'd order more than I needed, find the ones I liked best and sell the others on the BST. They tend to sell right away from what I've seen.

Lol I’ll just get em all and end it wow. Seven options is a big plus with this razor but I’ll do three on order. I’m leaning towards CDE or BDE I’ll shoot Christipher an email thanks for the help guys

First off so much great intel on this forum, thanks for all of it
well after many months of reading on how great this shaver is I pulled the trigger on a new Karve 3.5 handle B and C plates. It was a close call between this and and a timeless SS 68 but I went this route because of the plate options. I’m hoping I love this set up but it’s a safe bet I will. Any thoughts on plate choices? I like the Rockwell 4 plate, Mergress 3 to 2.5 setting, Fatboy on 5. Now comes the wait oh boy.
I like milder razors so I went for the B plate and 3 inch handle. Loved the weight and feel of the razor but just couldn't get a close enough shave , had to do a 4th pass. So I sent off for the C and D plates with the inevitable wait, I'm in the U.K. Anyway I had the first shave today with the C and I couldn't be happier! Definitely the best shave since I returned to double edge razors. I have a Fatboy, superspeed, ASD2 and a Merkur 38c but this is the smoothest and most intuitive razor I've tried, no angle issues like the Feather. Just put a Polsilver in and had the best shave of the year! Haven't tried the D yet so I can't speak on that but blown away by the C. Karve diem!

If you like the Rockwell R4 (as I do) then I would recommend you buy C/D/E plates for the Karve. Get more plates than you think you need because you will be waiting a month if you change your mind. The extra plates can be easily sold on B/S/T.

I also came from Gillette adjustable, the Slim, which I liked on 5. I had the Rockwell 6C and used 4 and 5. For the Christopher Bradley Karve, I bought A and C with the handle, and picked up B & D on the BST. For most days, I find C to be just right for great shave without drama. The D plate requires more attention, and soon I plan to shave several days in a row and see how my face likes that. I tend to prefer razors that aren't overly aggressive, so B & C plate guards do the job for my daily shaves before work.

I also came from Gillette adjustable, the Slim, which I liked on 5. I had the Rockwell 6C and used 4 and 5. For the Christopher Bradley Karve, I bought A and C with the handle, and picked up B & D on the BST. For most days, I find C to be just right for great shave without drama. The D plate requires more attention, and soon I plan to shave several days in a row and see how my face likes that. I tend to prefer razors that aren't overly aggressive, so B & C plate guards do the job for my daily shaves before work.

I agree...I really find C to be the "Goldilocks" plate for 1-2 days of stubble. The only time I use the D/E is when I have 3+ days of beard growth. I do find B to still be efficient and it is so comfortable, it allows for a nice mindless shave with an easy-to-find angle. I would compare the B plate to a Rockwell 3. I would say C/D is similar in comfort to Rockwell 4, with D being much more efficient. E is a beast, but I still like to have it in the collection:)

I agree...I really find C to be the "Goldilocks" plate for 1-2 days of stubble. The only time I use the D/E is when I have 3+ days of beard growth. I do find B to still be efficient and it is so comfortable, it allows for a nice mindless shave with an easy-to-find angle. I would compare the B plate to a Rockwell 3. I would say C/D is similar in comfort to Rockwell 4, with D being much more efficient. E is a beast, but I still like to have it in the collection:)

Goldilocks! I like that! And I really enjoy mindless shaves, paying just enough attention to not get bit, but not so focused that I miss the fun. Some shaves need that focus, in order that lips, ears, and nose stay in their proper places!

I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. I took the Timor blade that I had five shaves out of my UK Aristocrat and put it in the Timor with a C plate (I ordered the C and D plate with the 3.5 handle). The razor is heavy - something that I like. It is well made and the blade fits perfectly with no wiggle. The shave was excellent. Close and smooth. Eventually, I will try other blades in it but I am impressed.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Congratulations on the Karve. A razor that has not been on my radar until recently. Please let us know your thoughts after you have used it.

Congrats, @ackvil! I love the C guard for daily shaves, and D is awesome for 2 days' growth, for my face.
And @Charlie R, you are in for a treat! I loved my Fatboy and other vintage razors, but the CB Karve became the main razor. So I only kept my Slim and a pre-War Tech. Lots of advice here, and also check out the Karve Diem thread in the Clubs and Brotherhoods sub forum. The link is here. You can read or search to your heart's content!
And check out this post/thread (Titled the Ultimate Karve Buyer's Guide). It contains an email from Chris Kirchen regarding blade gaps. Gaps aren't everything, but you can read the posts and get an idea of what guard may be more like the razor settings you like.

Would the C or D play re be comparable to a Merkur 33C?

I want to purchase this razor but I'm unsure of what player to get.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I just realized my phone corrected the word razor into "played."

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom