What's new

Just polished this monster of a GEM razor

I paid $5.00 for this GEM Micromatic today and I can't believe the monster sized bakelite handle on this thing. I just polished it and most of the pics are with out a flash because the reflection made it impossible to see the head. That is why the pics are mostly yellow tinted. I find the handle very different and kind of cool. Talk about your Fatboy! :thumbup1:

I thought that might be the case. The box said micromatic but it's probably the wrong box. Actually I just found out that this is the GEM Jr. with a 1912 head.:thumbup:

Your post is a little unclear on the point, but the bakelite-handled GEMs are all GEM Jrs and all use the 1912 head. I believe they are the only 1912s in polished brass, but I could be wrong.

Remember when you shave with one of these that you actually grip it at the narrow neck, between thumb and forefinger. The handle is cradled loosely in the fingers, not gripped. But the fat bakelite handle makes this process easier and more accurate than the stick handles.

That Junior's a great shaver -

+1. One of the best.

I have one that is solid brass, and it can be polished as much as one likes and one need not worry about polishing off any plating. I understand that some of these were gold plated, but mine isn't gold and as it happens, I like the soft look that brass gets when it develops a patina.

I also have a chrome version of this head and that one can be damaged by too much polishing.

Last edited:
I really like my Gem Jr. Mine differs from yours slightly - it's plated and has a maroon handle. I use this razor more than any other in my collection.

Congratulations on a great score.

My Gem Jr is unplated brass and has the brass handle. I thought about making a fat black Delrin handle for it. I'd like to get mine plated to keep it from tarnishing. I've considered clear Dura Coat, but don't know how well it works on brass.
My favorite thing about mine is that it's a close, yet gentle shaver. It's very aggressive at cutting whiskers, but it doesn't cut my face.

Top Bottom