What's new

Just picked up this Sheaffer.now what?

Picked up this gorgeous sheaffer at a antique store for a few dollars....not sure where to get the ink...can you help me out???
$image.jpg

I believe that is what is now known as a Sheaffer school pen. If I'm right, it is the same kind I have - in fact, I have 3 of them left over from the late 50s / early 60s. They were ubiquitous back then and sold for about a buck apiece.

Anyway, if it is what I think it is, it is a cartridge pen and takes standard Sheaffer Classic cartridges which are widely available even today. I get mine at Ben Franklin's, a craft store. They come in a 5 pack for about $4 or $5 a pack. The cartridges can be refilled with a syringe. Just be sure to use fountain pen ink, not calligraphy ink in any fountain pen.

You can always use any fountain pen as a dip pen. Just dip the nib into the Noodler's (or whatever ink you prefer) and write away for nearly a full page before having to re-dip it.

I believe that is what is now known as a Sheaffer school pen. If I'm right, it is the same kind I have - in fact, I have 3 of them left over from the late 50s / early 60s. They were ubiquitous back then and sold for about a buck apiece.

Anyway, if it is what I think it is, it is a cartridge pen and takes standard Sheaffer Classic cartridges which are widely available even today. I get mine at Ben Franklin's, a craft store. They come in a 5 pack for about $4 or $5 a pack. The cartridges can be refilled with a syringe. Just be sure to use fountain pen ink, not calligraphy ink in any fountain pen.

You can always use any fountain pen as a dip pen. Just dip the nib into the Noodler's (or whatever ink you prefer) and write away for nearly a full page before having to re-dip it.
Thank you :) got it for two dollars so not bad then

I've found Sheaffer cartridges (usually only black or blue) at my local Staples office supply store. You can also purchase a converter that will allow you to use bottled ink, but you'll have to shop around online for that. A third option is to grease the threads with some pure silicone grease and fill the pen with an eyedropper. The Sheaffer school pens are surprisingly reliable when filled this way.

They are great starter pens. You go on one of the auction sites and find a Sheaffer aerometric converter or one of the online sites for the newer styled converters. It will take your total cost to $12 or so but then you're set. Because the nib unit has a nipple on it for piercing cartridges I'm not sure it's the best candidate for an eye dropper fill. You'll always have some ink that can't be used.

Top Bottom