What's new

Just ordered my first Simpson!

I wasn't the one shipping and it was rolled into what I paid, but looking at similar listings it appears to have been close to $50. A German vendor charged around $40 for similar DHL performance (it was like three days vs literally next day — that had to have been a fluke). Seems like other times I've paid up to $30 to wait a couple weeks from UK/JPN/GER. I don't really need anything on any sort of time crunch but the superfast delivery took a bit of the sting out of the overall cost.

I bought something from DE about a year and a half ago. They had to switch to FedEx, for whatever reason DHL wasn't available. It only took two days to get to the US, two days to me, but 5 days in quarantine(customs). I understand if this is working right, I should have had it in 4-5 days total. I paid $35, I think it would have been over $60 if they offered anything faster.

The Homer Simpsons Odyssey is over! After almost 2 weeks of waiting, my new Captain 2 Best arrived!

IMG-0634.jpg IMG-0633 (2).jpg

I had a great shave today on so many levels! Here I just want to talk about a side-by-side with two brushes, my custom RV with the Shavemac 2 Band knot and the Simpsons Captain 2 Best.

IMG-0630.jpg

The size of the handles is perfect and almost identical. The RV is made of Bethlehem Olive Wood and feels nicer (lighter and more natural) than the Faux Ivory Resin. Also, the RV is more ergonomic in design...it's a lot more comfortable to grip. The Simpsons grip point is too close to the bottom, especially for such a large, heavyish brush. Of course, I can understand the logic of this design on a small brush like the Chubby, but it feels awkward on the Captain. As far as the knots, it's a virtual tie...with a slight edge going to the softer Simpsons. However, I think it's worth noting that the Shavmac doesn't shed...I've lost a total of one hair since I got it! The Simpsons went into a veritable molt as soon as it touched the water. It lost at least 12 hairs in total during my first shave...and by the looks of it☝️#13 is on its way! Still, I'm much more impressed with the Simpsons softer knot than I am with their handles. In the future, I may ask Rudy to mount a Simpsons knot on a custom handle. Does anyone know if you can buy Simpsons knots by themselves?

That is really a bummer about the shedding, I only lost 3 hairs initially. I hope you didn't use too hot of water. It's such a nice looking knot compared to mine in Best, the shape is different. Mine is plenty soft, it's just not a bulb shape. I guess it's time to send it back and get the Super in a limited color. :devil:

BEB50810-49E8-4D99-9249-F095AA68CDF0.jpeg
I would say mine is a Fan. It took a good while to get accustomed to that handle shape. I bought it for bowl lathering but use it now to face lather. Up until now it lost 3-4 loose hairs.

No, it's the Colonel X2L Best from Amazon ($60). I think they only make it in Best.

I passed my Colonel onto my son-in-law when I switched from bowl to face lathering a decade ago. I like a shorter handle. He is still using it. I have no complaints about any of the 8 Simpson brushes I've owned. At times, I've even ordered direct from Simpson, asking Mark to recommend and pick me out a brush. Even with Shavemac and Thater 2-bands, I still own and use a Simpson Rover and Duke 1 in Best.

The Homer Simpsons Odyssey is over! After almost 2 weeks of waiting, my new Captain 2 Best arrived!

The Simpsons went into a veritable molt as soon as it touched the water. It lost at least 12 hairs in total during my first shave...and by the looks of it☝️#13 is on its way

Not uncommon. I always gave my 3-bands at least week to shake out the loose hairs. 2-band Shavemac, Thaters and Rudys have spoiled us.

Glad to hear the Captain finally arrived.

I've been tempted by this brush lately, mostly for its looks. I typically prefer handles around 50mm in length, but something about the Captain keeps pulling at me.

Glad to hear the Captain finally arrived.

I've been tempted by this brush lately, mostly for its looks. I typically prefer handles around 50mm in length, but something about the Captain keeps pulling at me.
Great knot...and great size, but the handle is heavy and awkward. I'm going to ask Rudy if he can switch handles for me. I have a Zenith handle that I like much better...lighter, more ergonomic, and better-balanced.

IMG-0632.jpg

Ok, Rudy has informed me that’s not going to work, because the knots are different sizes. Also, Simpsons doesn’t sell knots 🙄
Solution to follow…
Meanwhile, anyone interested in purchasing my LIKE NEW Captain 2 for half price and Free Priority Shipping, you can PM me. 😉

Ok, Rudy has informed me that’s not going to work, because the knots are different sizes. Also, Simpsons doesn’t sell knots 🙄
Solution to follow…
Meanwhile, anyone interested in purchasing my LIKE NEW Captain 2 for half price and Free Priority Shipping, you can PM me. 😉
That sucks, but the right decision is just to sell it and recoup what you can IMO. Not worth potentially breaking the handle or screwing up the knot removing it.

That sucks, but the right decision is just to sell it and recoup what you can IMO. Not worth potentially breaking the handle or screwing up the knot removing it.
Good point. That's another thing Rudy said. When you switch knots, you usually have to break the handle on one...and destroy the knot on the other! I would prefer a "kinder, gentler" solution. :)

Considering the reasonable cost of Shavemac knots, maybe get him to make you a matching handle in a different material with a Shavemac Silvertip so you can compare. It's at least as good as Super. :w00t:

I just got my first Simpsons today too. Got a Chubby 1 and a Chubby 2, both with Manchurian knots. Only shaved with one so far but I am really impressed with how they feel. The tips feel very soft and the backbone is good. I think out of the box I like these knots even more than any artisan brush I’ve bought. Maybe I was lucky but they both feel similar.

E67CF5DD-90E1-4437-A8A8-DB33BD9AC44F.jpeg

Top Bottom