What's new

Just ordered my first expensive razor! (Timeless Ti68 SB)

Okay, I just had the BEST SHAVE EVER!!! (I tend to over exaggerate and speak in absolutes all too often). Seriously though, I microscoped the Feather Blade I used yesterday under a jeweler's loupe and it had all kinds of jagged edges. Maybe I just got a bad one or something, IDK. I might just get into the habit of closely examining all my blades (under magnification) now.

Today's shave I used an old (Pre-2016) Derby Extra Blade and it was literally the best and smoothest shave of my life. It was great. I got the right gap, or maybe I'm just getting better with my angles, but I'm very pleased with my lifetime heirloom investment.

Sorry for all the drama, but the final verdict is A+. She's a keeper, boys! Grail Razor right here.
I'm glad that you were able to get it figured out. I'm sure it will continue to provide a lifetime of great shaves!

So you are in between riding the cap or the safety bar it would seem, and very specific I might add!! I would suggest more of a steeper angle with the Timeless as that is what I have used for 4yrs now and it seems to be what the majority uses from what I've read...

by steeper, does that mean riding the bar more, or riding the cap more? I just get confused about such things, thanks for the help!

The bar... Steep = handle closer to face riding the bar / Shallow handle away from face riding the cap
$Steep Angle.jpg
$Shallow Angle.jpg

@Smurfsup66 these pictures may help with what @muzichead is referring to.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I too have been confused by shallow angle, vs steep angle. That is until I was forced to figure it out with my Feather AS-D2. That razor forces you to use a shallow angle, otherwise it won't cut. This is because its a really mild razor, with barely any blade reveal. Its nice to see that the Timeless razors are more normal, just as with most DE razors, you use a steep angle. Really good to know!

Good to hear you got it sorted out. One thing I've found is that some razors are very sensitive to shave angle. Best way to find it is to keep trying till you find that sweet spot.

I like this razor so much, I just couldn't wait another day to use it again - so I shaved my head.

This is the first time in my life. I've never shaved to the skin with an actual razor before, and I was scared going into it. This razor made it so easy and clean - not one single weeper! No razor burn, just a clean and smooth scalp.

No, I'm not balding yet, still had a full head of hair. I just did this to try it. So glad I went with this .68 Smooth SB Ti Timeless.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I like this razor so much, I just couldn't wait another day to use it again - so I shaved my head.

This is the first time in my life. I've never shaved to the skin with an actual razor before, and I was scared going into it. This razor made it so easy and clean - not one single weeper! No razor burn, just a clean and smooth scalp.

No, I'm not balding yet, still had a full head of hair. I just did this to try it. So glad I went with this .68 Smooth SB Ti Timeless.

Dude, its so cool to meet another head shaver! I've watched video's of guys shaving their heads, and you can tell their experienced, cause they maintain their blade angle, even though, their head is round, and naturally the angle will change as they go. I just have mad respect for head shavers, cause you guys are the real deal!

I can totally understand that too, I would be scared as well! And you managed to do it, without a single weeper, woohoo! :thumbup: Yes, I am guessing if you went with a .095, it would offer you greater difficulty, and a steeper learning experience. But I am so happy to know that the .68 worked out awesome for you. Its folks like you, and your success stories, who always give me hope.

The next assignment for this exquisite tool will be (overshare coming) slicing off my skin tags! I know, I know, how gross, but it's about time I addressed these epidermis issues. Question, should I use a larger blade gap than the .68 for this job?
If you’re going to do it, do it right. Cold water, SLICK lather, wide blade gap, SHARP blade (Feather? Sure, why not), and aftershave with LOTS of menthol. Maybe some styptic powder.

This is not actual medical advice. Even though I’ve watched hours and hours of medical shows, I’m not really a doctor.

I've done the opposite which is work my way up. I'm wondering if I should've just gone all the way from the beginning. When I add up the money I've spent, it seems more logical. But at the same time it's fun to try them all, LOL!
Enjoy it!

Hands-on learning is always the best way of understanding anything.

I am presently retired, but during my working days, I tried to be exposed to other jobs in my environment. Even though I might not master a particular task the way someone who performs it daily, I feel vindicated even if I can get a average grasp on the task.

Audio is very much an important "rabbit hole" hobby of mine, but I am very hands on and continuously exploring all the various possibilities. These would naturally include non-audiophile approved methods. If you just do things the way that they are done, then you stay inside the box and don't get to learn why things work.

Steve Jobs wrote a book The Journey is the Reward. This is very true. If you don't go out there end experience other products, you never achieve a better understanding.

I believe it is necessary at times to make "parallel" moves, because there are still intrinsic differences in largely similar products. When you are ready to go explore the next level, then your move should be vertical.

...and aftershave with LOTS of menthol.

Menthol is great! We all love the cooling effect of menthol. But... If your face has been scrapped up and is tender and sore, the last thing you want to do is to rub menthol into it.

Menthol is an irritant to raw skin, it is referred to as a counterirritant. It is very strong in aftershave. Which is why you can feel it after an incredibly smooth shave.

I understand how everyone enjoys and looks forward to that burn after shaving. All well and good. But, do yourself and your face a favor, not after a rough shave. Just use some cold water and pat your face dry.

After a good shave, I will leave my face and hands wet. I will pour a small amount of good ole Aqua Velva into my palm, mix it around and splash my face.

After about ten to fifteen seconds I can feel the menthol through unbroken skin. I leave it on for about thirty seconds and then splash more water on my face. I then pat my face a bit with a soft towel. I just finished shaving and using Aqua Velva. I like to step outside in the cold air for a minute or two to complete the effect!

Also, if your face is still irritated from an earlier shave, best to use a shaving cream/soap/gel without menthol in it. Nivia is a good alternative.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Menthol is great! We all love the cooling effect of menthol. But... If your face has been scrapped up and is tender and sore, the last thing you want to do is to rub menthol into it.

Menthol is an irritant to raw skin, it is referred to as a counterirritant. It is very strong in aftershave. Which is why you can feel it after an incredibly smooth shave.

I understand how everyone enjoys and looks forward to that burn after shaving. All well and good. But, do yourself and your face a favor, not after a rough shave. Just use some cold water and pat your face dry.

After a good shave, I will leave my face and hands wet. I will pour a small amount of good ole Aqua Velva into my palm, mix it around and splash my face.

After about ten to fifteen seconds I can feel the menthol through unbroken skin. I leave it on for about thirty seconds and then splash more water on my face. I then pat my face a bit with a soft towel. I just finished shaving and using Aqua Velva. I like to step outside in the cold air for a minute or two to complete the effect!

Also, if your face is still irritated from an earlier shave, best to use a shaving cream/soap/gel without menthol in it. Nivia is a good alternative.

I am a menthol junkie, so its no surprise that I enjoy menthol. I too love the cooling effect it has on my skin, bring the ice to my face, so I may chill. 🥶 It even surprised me too, when I liked the smell of raw menthol. Which of course, you only smell, if you have the menthol crystals to grind into lather, aftershave, witch hazel, or whatever your trying to mentholate.

I can also agree that if you cut up your face pretty bad with nicks and weepers, a straight mentholated aftershave splash, is not really the best thing for your face. If you have damaged your skin, the best thing for it, is an aftershave balm. But what you may not realize is, they make aftershave balms with menthol in it. So you get the health benefits of a balm to heal your skin, and the soothing coolness from the menthol.

In that regard, I can't recommend my most favorite aftershave balm more, for just that reason. And what is that aftershave you ask? Well, I am so glad you asked! 😁 Its none other, then Duke Cannon's Ice Cold Mentholated Aftershave Balm woohoo! :thumbup:

proxy.php

Just for reference on how good this stuff is. One of my shaves, I went back to the DARK SIDE, in order to do some science testing. So yes, I went back to using my Panasonic Arc 4 electric shaver for 1 shave only. Everybody gasps! 🤯 And yes, as it turns out, DE shaving is better, know why? That electric shaver irritated my skin so bad, I had blotchy redness everywhere, and it took forever to get me to a BBS shave with it. Yes, the pain was real!

But after a generous application of Duke Cannon's Ice Cold Mentholated Aftershave Balm, it was able to sooth my skin instantly, and by doing so, it stopped the pain I was feeling. Within minutes, the aftershave also healed my skin, and by the next day, you would never have known that I had damaged my skin. Also, in fairness, I also applied a lotion to my face before I had gone to bed that night, to re-moisturize my skin.

In the words of the Mandalorian....................

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

I can also agree that if you cut up your face pretty bad with nicks and weepers, a straight mentholated aftershave splash, is not really the best thing for your face. If you have damaged your skin, the best thing for it, is an aftershave balm. But what you may not realize is, they make aftershave balms with menthol in it. So you get the health benefits of a balm to heal your skin, and the soothing coolness from the menthol.

I'll check it out. I see they have it at Walgreens and a few other places. If I can't get it locally, I will order some from Amazon or Walmart after the holidays are over.

Menthol is a strange bird. It can be cooling and it can be irritating. They put it in cough drops to sooth a sore throat. But menthol is also a local anesthetic, so it could be doing both.

Worst shaves of my life, not even exaggerating. After all the raving reviews, I'm bewildered. I never thought I had "sensitive skin" before, but now I do. This razor has my face raw, yet still stubbly as all get out. I can't go over it anymore, my face needs to rest, so I just gave up and it's not even anywhere near as close as I got with the Merkur 34c, I'm just so confused.

The same thing happened to me last month with a Muhle Rocca. I had used the bade in three different razors and attributed the gawd awful shave to the razor. Later, I was thinking and I realized that I might have been shaving with the Rocca and the bad blade.

For some reason it didn't occur to me at the time. After I retrieved the razor and used a different blade, everything changed for the better.

Top Bottom