What's new

Just ordered my first expensive razor! (Timeless Ti68 SB)

I've been out of the game for the last decade. I bought into this 11 years ago with a Merkur Futur and 34c HD, but never thought about upgrading until now. I bought what I thought were two razors that would last forever. Turns out they're made from coated Zamack and they're already corroding.

I'm a sucker for titanium, especially in wet conditions, so that narrowed down my options. I want to Buy It For Life, and I've rusted "stainless steels" before. I didn't want to wait on any waiting lists or anything, so I ordered a kit from the Timeless site.

I decided to go with .68 blade gap, after intense deliberation, because I always cut myself with the Futur whenever I turned up its gaps. I also opted for the matte finish, from reading how the little microscopic dimples and divots float soaps across the skin better than "sticky" polished finishes. Also, bead-blasted titanium is just about my favorite thing in the world. I have more than a few flashlights and knives (and fidget spinners) in blasted titanium. Polished Ti always looked weird to me.

I chose the smooth top cap with the solid bar, for its minimalist look, really. I just really admire its clean lines and curves. Oh but then I went with the CROWN handle. And the stand. (Is the stand going to be made from titanium as well? I certainly hope so!)

I've been eyeing both the Feather AS/D2 and the Rockwell 6s (in Black), but I'm also hoping this Timeless will quell that RAD that's been itching recently. I know I don't need them all, especially if I went a decade with just the two razors without ever even thinking about it. I'll probably just trash the Merkurs if this new razor works out, and try to live life with just one razor. (Okay, maybe add the Rockwell 6s (in Black) for backup.)

I've also only had one brush this whole time, so I'm interested in upgrading that too. What's the deal with Paladin Brushes? They're too expensive.

I'm pretty excited about entering Stage 2 of my Wet-Shaving! Hopefully it gets here soon! I can't wait!
That's a beautiful choice and incredible upgrade. You got the best of the best razor that should last forever in that titanium material. You definitely did the right thing: "Buy once, cry once"!
I've done the opposite which is work my way up. I'm wondering if I should've just gone all the way from the beginning. When I add up the money I've spent, it seems more logical. But at the same time it's fun to try them all, LOL!
Enjoy it!

I've been out of the game for the last decade. I bought into this 11 years ago with a Merkur Futur and 34c HD, but never thought about upgrading until now. I bought what I thought were two razors that would last forever. Turns out they're made from coated Zamack and they're already corroding.

I'm a sucker for titanium, especially in wet conditions, so that narrowed down my options. I want to Buy It For Life, and I've rusted "stainless steels" before. I didn't want to wait on any waiting lists or anything, so I ordered a kit from the Timeless site.

I decided to go with .68 blade gap, after intense deliberation, because I always cut myself with the Futur whenever I turned up its gaps. I also opted for the matte finish, from reading how the little microscopic dimples and divots float soaps across the skin better than "sticky" polished finishes. Also, bead-blasted titanium is just about my favorite thing in the world. I have more than a few flashlights and knives (and fidget spinners) in blasted titanium. Polished Ti always looked weird to me.

I chose the smooth top cap with the solid bar, for its minimalist look, really. I just really admire its clean lines and curves. Oh but then I went with the CROWN handle. And the stand. (Is the stand going to be made from titanium as well? I certainly hope so!)

I've been eyeing both the Feather AS/D2 and the Rockwell 6s (in Black), but I'm also hoping this Timeless will quell that RAD that's been itching recently. I know I don't need them all, especially if I went a decade with just the two razors without ever even thinking about it. I'll probably just trash the Merkurs if this new razor works out, and try to live life with just one razor. (Okay, maybe add the Rockwell 6s (in Black) for backup.)

I've also only had one brush this whole time, so I'm interested in upgrading that too. What's the deal with Paladin Brushes? They're too expensive.

I'm pretty excited about entering Stage 2 of my Wet-Shaving! Hopefully it gets here soon! I can't wait!
I have the .68 dual comb (solid bar and open comb in one head) Timeless Titanium razor and love it. A friend with a drill press created a (I think) 3/8" hole in the razor stand for me because I wanted the drainage... I have and like the spiral handle but reading yours and others praise of the crown handle makes me think I'll request it for a birthday present (if I can wait that long). Enjoy your new razor...

Congratulations on your purchase. One of my favorite razors is the Timeless .68 SB in stainless steel. That razor has never disappointed me.

Got my Ti68 Razor! It is nice. It is very nice. The blasted matte finish is especially nice on this Crown Handle. It's not sharp anywhere, yet perfectly grippable. The shave though - um... I guess there's a learning curve. It's a very small margin for holding the angle in a way where it'll actually cut. I had a hard time getting everything, and it took a while longer than usual.

I love its weight, balance, and overall quality. I'm going to stick with this one and hopefully I'll get quicker with it in time.

After I shaved, and without thinking, I disassembled and cleaned/dried it - just because it's too nice not to. I have never done this with any razor before this.

(does anyone know if the stand is also made of titanium?)

20220519_TIMELESS_Ti68.jpg

I believe it is but you should email the company for a definitive answer... A buddy of mine used a 3/8" cobalt drill bit and going slow, put a drainage hole in it for me using a drill press. It's not essential and I'm not recommending anyone else do this but I like the results even though it mars the stand...

Worst shaves of my life, not even exaggerating. After all the raving reviews, I'm bewildered. I never thought I had "sensitive skin" before, but now I do. This razor has my face raw, yet still stubbly as all get out. I can't go over it anymore, my face needs to rest, so I just gave up and it's not even anywhere near as close as I got with the Merkur 34c, I'm just so confused.

I used a Feather Blade, and I applied pressure too. I couldn't get it to cut without putting some pressure on it. I'm not going to give up just yet - going to try a Derby Blade in it before I come to a verdict on this.

Part of me thinks I should've went for the larger gap, so it would actually cut my stubbles off - but if this is leaving me this raw, there's no way I could handle a more aggressive version of this.

Worst shaves of my life, not even exaggerating. After all the raving reviews, I'm bewildered. I never thought I had "sensitive skin" before, but now I do. This razor has my face raw, yet still stubbly as all get out. I can't go over it anymore, my face needs to rest, so I just gave up and it's not even anywhere near as close as I got with the Merkur 34c, I'm just so confused.

I used a Feather Blade, and I applied pressure too. I couldn't get it to cut without putting some pressure on it. I'm not going to give up just yet - going to try a Derby Blade in it before I come to a verdict on this.

Part of me thinks I should've went for the larger gap, so it would actually cut my stubbles off - but if this is leaving me this raw, there's no way I could handle a more aggressive version of this.
Dang, that's crazy! I hope you get it dialed in. I just used my Timeless .95 SS today for the first time and was really impressed. I was expecting it to be really aggressive but it wasn't. Just smooth and easy to remove two days growth.

Keep us updated on your future shaves. I really want to see you get it dialed in.

Maybe I'm pushing too hard since I'm having a hard time holding the narrow angle. Maybe it was the blade, b
Dang, that's crazy! I hope you get it dialed in. I just used my Timeless .95 SS today for the first time and was really impressed. I was expecting it to be really aggressive but it wasn't. Just smooth and easy to remove two days growth.

Keep us updated on your future shaves. I really want to see you get it dialed in.
Maybe I was just pushing too hard, I'm not giving up so easily. At least I didn't get any weepers or nicks. I think I'm just raw from going over my skin too many times, because I keep "missing" like it's not smoothing out the stubble, so I kept raking it across my face trying to get it to cut. I'll report back after tomorrow's attempt with a different blade.

Maybe I was just pushing too hard, I'm not giving up so easily. At least I didn't get any weepers or nicks. I think I'm just raw from going over my skin too many times, because I keep "missing" like it's not smoothing out the stubble, so I kept raking it across my face trying to get it to cut. I'll report back after tomorrow's attempt with a different blade.
This is not good to hear as you should have no problems using a Feather blade with the Ti68. What is your prep like, what soap are you using, and most importantly what angle are you shaving at? Is it shallow or steep? My preference is steep, handle closer to your face. Its just what I've found to work best for me.

Maybe I'm pushing too hard since I'm having a hard time holding the narrow angle. Maybe it was the blade, b

I think it's the blade. It may take trying two or three other brands to find a winner, but by then your technique needed for this razor will probably improve too. You'll succeed, hang in there!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Alright, I don't own any of these Timeless razors yet, so I am going to take a guess here, with my limited experience of DE wet shaving, having owned 3 razors now. Feather blades are the sharpest DE blades in the world, and sometimes, they are far too sharp for certain razors.

I agree with your idea of trying a less sharp blade, but you may want to consider also trying out, a smooth cutting blade. I was having trouble with my Bic blades in my Merkur Futur razor, the blade were tugging my whiskers more then they were cutting them. I finally decided to listen to the global advice on the forum.

I slapped a Gillette Nacet in that baby, and holy cow, what a difference. The razor went from tugging to cutting, and the shave was smooth, what a night and day difference! With my course whiskers, I was able to get 4 solid shaves out of the blade, and a 5th rough shave cause the blade was dull by then.

Imo, you should of went with a the .95 Sb, good thing that Timeless has 30 days and you can exchange it for the .95 Sb or .50 Slim Sb baseplate. I have the .95 Sb & Oc in Ti polished and it is pretty efficient yet smooth. Ymmv. The .95 is way more efficient than merkur 34c and does require to pay attention, but is easy to get a good shave. Like you, the .68 Sb straight bar didn’t work out for me. Good Luck!

Okay, I just had the BEST SHAVE EVER!!! (I tend to over exaggerate and speak in absolutes all too often). Seriously though, I microscoped the Feather Blade I used yesterday under a jeweler's loupe and it had all kinds of jagged edges. Maybe I just got a bad one or something, IDK. I might just get into the habit of closely examining all my blades (under magnification) now.

Today's shave I used an old (Pre-2016) Derby Extra Blade and it was literally the best and smoothest shave of my life. It was great. I got the right gap, or maybe I'm just getting better with my angles, but I'm very pleased with my lifetime heirloom investment.

Sorry for all the drama, but the final verdict is A+. She's a keeper, boys! Grail Razor right here.

SIDE NOTE: This razor does a really great job of silk-screening this blade's graphics onto its Ti-68 SB {matte} BasePlate.

TIMELESS_SILKSCREENED_DERBY.jpg

Perhaps I should coat it with mineral oil or something...

Last edited:
Top Bottom