What's new

Just ordered a slant bar and a 10 pack of Feathers

Heh, looking to torture myself. Wondering if anyone uses this config? I can always fall back on my Merkurs if they are too rough for the slant, and use the Feathers in my 1904 open comb, that razor is an easy shave.

The Slant-Feather combo works the best for me.:biggrin:
Great BBS shaves every time.
Just take it easy, no pressure and you should be fine.
Let us know how it goes.

chefchris said:
The Slant-Feather combo works the best for me.:biggrin:
Great BBS shaves every time.
Just take it easy, no pressure and you should be fine.
Let us know how it goes.

Sound advice, a light touch should see you ok. There's a lot of mysticism surrounding the Slant Bar and the Feather blade, don't let it put you off.

Thanks! I am glad to see I haven't crossed into uncharted territory. I ordered some proraso to go with it too, so even if I do skin myself, I won't feel it until later that day.

I should add, of course, that I'd find it hard to believe that this combo is any scarier than some of the scary sharp straight razors honed by Lynn Abrams that I use on a daily basis.

I like the mystique concerning the Slant as well as the Feathers.

The Slant always raised eyebrows, but is a tame razor.

The Feathers are always presumed to be able to split atoms.

Use a light touch and you will be fine.

-joedy

I am yet to understand the stigma associated with feathers... i'm new to wet shaving (about 7 wet shaves under my belt) and have not even come close to nicking myself with one.

Mick said:
I am yet to understand the stigma associated with feathers... i'm new to wet shaving (about 7 wet shaves under my belt) and have not even come close to nicking myself with one.
Mick,
I don't think there is a stigma, but more of a tendency for a large number of the little sisters to run about reciting what they have read or heard elsewhere. It's just like "...the HD is the best razor for beginners," or "...the Wee Scot is a great shaving brush," etc, etc, ad nauseum.

guenron said:
Mick,
I don't think there is a stigma, but more of a tendency for a large number of the little sisters to run about reciting what they have read or heard elsewhere. It's just like "...the HD is the best razor for beginners," or "...the Wee Scot is a great shaving brush," etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Not to exactly pick a nit here, but what razor WOULD you recommend instead? I don't see what other new razors out there would be a much better recommendation myself. No comments on that brush from me though... Back on topic: Feathers are just razor blades - nothing to be frightened about. Either they work for you or they don't, but they are not going to leap out of your razor and attack your jugular or anything. :biggrin:

Dennis

Russell,

If you are used to shaving with a straight, then this combo should be fine for your purposes. Just remember to ' go easy'.

Marty

Mike02 said:
Not to exactly pick a nit here, but what razor WOULD you recommend instead? I don't see what other new razors out there would be a much better recommendation myself. No comments on that brush from me though... Back on topic: Feathers are just razor blades - nothing to be frightened about. Either they work for you or they don't, but they are not going to leap out of your razor and attack your jugular or anything. :biggrin:

Dennis
It really depends upon the individual shaver. If it is the occassional shaver, i.e. two or three times a week, it probably doesn't matter. For the more hirsute, with a tough beard, nominally a Progress or Futur. Give them a tool that can get the job done well without struggling to overcome the limitations of the milder fixed razor head.
I always wince when I read the musings of those that advise against an adjustable, "...because you'll fiddle with it." Well, I can only say advise once and then look back and say it was a good way to protect the gene pool.:lol:

guenron said:
It really depends upon the individual shaver. If it is the occassional shaver, i.e. two or three times a week, it probably doesn't matter. For the more hirsute, with a tough beard, nominally a Progress or Futur. Give them a tool that can get the job done well without struggling to overcome the limitations of the milder fixed razor head.
I always wince when I read the musings of those that advise against an adjustable, "...because you'll fiddle with it." Well, I can only say advise once and then look back and say it was a good way to protect the gene pool.:lol:

Hmmm... Interesting. My experience leads me to disagree, but I have not been doing this as long as you either. I have found my best shaves to be with very mild razors like a Gillette Tech, a Gillette Adjustable on about 4 or so, and Super Speeds which are all, I think agreed, pretty mild razors. I would consider the HD to be less mild than these listed above. I do not think in good conscience that I would recommend the Futur. It was my firstDE razor and it is indeed a great shaving razor. However it is also quite slippery to hold when wet which I have found to be quite dangerous, if not to me but certainly to the blade and/or razor if dropped when wet and slippery from lather. I found the adjustment very stiff and having to hold the head to adjust it (with the blade in no less) is just silly, not to mention the blade change design which is just poor design. I feel these shortcomings outweigh the fine shaving qualities of the razor that it indeed gives, especially for someone new at this.

Dennis

russellnyc said:
Thanks! I am glad to see I haven't crossed into uncharted territory. I ordered some proraso to go with it too, so even if I do skin myself, I won't feel it until later that day.

you won't be sorry with proraso+feather+slant

I just did the same thing (ordered a slant and some feathers). As I pointed out in another thread, there is such a huge demand for these things that even if you don't like it, you know you can sell it to another one of us yahoos!

Mike02 said:
nothing to be frightened about. Either they work for you or they don't, but they are not going to leap out of your razor and attack your jugular or anything. :biggrin:

Dennis

Depends on how much coffee I drink before hand. :lol:

russellnyc said:
Heh, looking to torture myself. Wondering if anyone uses this config? I can always fall back on my Merkurs if they are too rough for the slant, and use the Feathers in my 1904 open comb, that razor is an easy shave.

I too, ordered a slant today from Cottonblossom....still on sale for $25.00. Should be here early next week. I already have the Feathers, so we'll see how it goes.:blink:

I've been posting this elsewhere, but as a follow up, the slant bar continues to astound me. I'm still using the merkur platinum that came with it, so I can't comment on the feather combo yet, but I have consistently gotten the best shaves of my life with this razor. It has even supplanted some of my favorite straight razors for the coveted number one slot. With this razor, I have had about 5 shaves of perfect BBS in 3 passes using proraso. I can't recommend it highly enough to the careful and skilled DE user.

russellnyc said:
I've been posting this elsewhere, but as a follow up, the slant bar continues to astound me. I'm still using the merkur platinum that came with it, so I can't comment on the feather combo yet, but I have consistently gotten the best shaves of my life with this razor. It has even supplanted some of my favorite straight razors for the coveted number one slot. With this razor, I have had about 5 shaves of perfect BBS in 3 passes using proraso. I can't recommend it highly enough to the careful and skilled DE user.

Excellent news Russell...

Top Bottom