What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Dorco Primes are insanely underrated IMO. Very nice blades.

They are also currently the cheapest 100 blade pack available on Amazon Canada. 100 for under $7USD. I “splurged” a couple of years ago and bought 400. Under $28US for 4-5 years worth of blades. Can’t beat that IMO.

P.S. The standard (ST-301?) Dorcos are garbage IMO. Not in the same league as Primes.
Good to know. These would be GREAT blades to buy and PIF, unlike the 301's LOL!
They are equal to the Derby's I have been used to in the past. Murderous blades.

Good to know. These would be GREAT blades to buy and PIF, unlike the 301's LOL!
They are equal to the Derby's I have been used to in the past. Murderous blades.
Agreed. I think Derbys are a right of passage for most wetshavers. The first 100 pack many bought (me included) was Derby Extras. Not a spectacular blade by any stretch... even for those that love Arko. 😜

FarmerTan

Creepy! I just noticed that I mentioned "301's" in POST NUMBER 301...! Way too creepy! I'll have to figure out a PIF based on this. Maybe force folks to take some 301 blades to get some quality Arko soap?!?

Shaved with the "Dorco Prime" just now. (I just realized that Dorco Prime sounds like a Star Trek planet, desperately in need of Will Riker to lead an away team to save it from an uprising of lesser creatures that are tired of werking in the Dilithium Mines.)

An unbelievable shave. I had no idea what to expect from the Dorco Prime, but it was even better, MUCH better than the Derby Premium.
Honestly, this blade was EASILY as good as a GSB on it's second use, which for me is better than a fresh GSB.
Thank you @BaPh96 for the blades! If I had to rate these blades on one use, in different razors, I'd give the Derby a 9, and the Dorco a 10. I'm shocked, actually.
Just remembered as Mr Scott always said to never tell the captain exactly how long a task will take...Be a Miracle Worker!!

Yup.. those two blades put the others from those two brands to shame. Totally worth the few extra $.
I do believe that my Boreal boar brush is going to take on a similar role as yours, being designated as the old school soap brush.. using it with the Arko rotation and for the proposed Derby event for December. 🤔 I might even get a puck or two of Williams.
My first foray into DE shaving 20 years ago included the Burma-shave brush you showed, great brush for the price. Hopefully I'll find it in the pile of stuff I cleaned out after the divorce from my first wife.

Shaved with the "Dorco Prime" just now. (I just realized that Dorco Prime sounds like a Star Trek planet, desperately in need of Will Riker to lead an away team to save it from an uprising of lesser creatures that are tired of werking in the Dilithium Mines.)
View attachment 1313947
An unbelievable shave. I had no idea what to expect from the Dorco Prime, but it was even better, MUCH better than the Derby Premium.
Honestly, this blade was EASILY as good as a GSB on it's second use, which for me is better than a fresh GSB.
Thank you @BaPh96 for the blades! If I had to rate these blades on one use, in different razors, I'd give the Derby a 9, and the Dorco a 10. I'm shocked, actually.
The brush was used for two passes, and shed pretty bad. Last night was an aberration I guess.

The boring Fatboy *giggle* performed flawlessly. I actually scrubbed it with a toothbrush for the first time since I bought it, before I shaved, with a mild liquid hand soap and an ancient Tepe toothbrush. If you've never used a Tepe, you should. Incredibly soft and almost floss while they brush.

Don't worry @KeenDogg : I'll make sure it's kleaned up nice and purty for the auction in October!
The AS is an awesome one I used for the first time tonight. Bought it yesterday for the princely sum of $1.49 ! Wonderful stuff!
Nice setup.
I'm not familiar with that aftershave. Where did you find it, and how does it smell?

FarmerTan

Nice setup.
I'm not familiar with that aftershave. Where did you find it, and how does it smell?
I found it at an "Ollie's" - an outlet of stuff that doesn't sell. It actually smells a tiny bit lemony, but it has an AWESOME face feel, probably because of the glycerin and aloe?

They also had an unscented (I think?) and a balm that was what I had planned to buy for winter. If I get back to Ollie's I'm gonna get some more to PIF away.

Along with other stuff I've accumulated over the years! (Gotta keep the War Department in my corner when it comes to this "hobby", ya know!)

FarmerTan

Well, after reading a bit further back I see there will be a"Derby" December? I'll need some Derby soap then. Maybe if I ask nicely the love of my life will buy me some as an early Christmas gift?

I'm just now posting about my shave from Friday night:
IMG_20210903_201957954.jpg
IMG_20210903_202026135.jpg

This was a 7 o'clock blade. It was a gift from one of you Gents, and it was loose, in a well wax dotted paper wrapper! That brush needs to be retired! An actual CLUMP of hair came out of the knot while swirling it on the vintage Old Spice puck given me by @Tanuki . I tried an experiment: I poured Dollar General? Store brand "Brut" on the puck. The Old Spice scent is long gone, but that tallowy goodness remains. I THINK the idea to try it came to me from @Eclipse Red Ring , but don't hold me to it. Turned out EXCELLENT! The smell was WONDERFUL, if you love Brut. This El cheapo AS from the Dollar Store has a short lasting, but DIVINE smell, truly. So I let it soak in for as long as it took the AS to disappear, then moistened the brush and face lathered. Then after the shave I poured more AS in it to soak in. This AS uses white lightening for it's alcohol, and actually melts nose hairs on initial application, so I thought it was expendable for the experiment. Wonderful decision on my part!

The blade was surprisingly good! I'd say a "top of the middle tier blade" really.

I'm about to give up on that brush. I am seriously thinking of rinsing it well, drying it even weller, and spray painting it gold and turning it into a trophy of sorts that we could turn into a pass around "award" for boneheaded ideas like mine, that the winner would have to hold on to until another "winner" came along.
What say all you all's?
Edit: that Krona has become my most favoritest TTO razor. And no doubt why I achieved the BBS-est shave ever. Seriously.

FarmerTan

A couple of nice shaves to report on!

My "homebrewed" El Cheapo Dollar Store fake BRUT shaving soap is still doing well, as is that 7 o'clock blade!

Today's shave is the only one werth talkin' about. Why? Why is anything I find werthy of talkin' about werth listening to?

That subjeckt is for another day, but here is what stood out enough to write about:

I was running late for my doctor's appointment, so I grabbed the "brush that won't die" that hangs from a nail in the nice bathroom. (Yeah, the War Department ain't happy about it much.)

Anyway, washed my incredibly handsome face and let the washcloth rest on the beard area for about a minute. Wet the brush a little. It had a BUNCH of dried up suds on it. No kiddin': I put it directly to my face and started rubbing. No kiddin' again: it smelled like BRUT! Get this: dry it had NO scent, wet it was BRUT! True story doggone! And lather? EXPLODED!

I really was RUSHED for time, so I only did a one pass shave. And it could have been closer and more thorough. But that just means I can do it again sooner, right?

And, get this: not one bristle was lost!

Followed it up with my own invention that @Ad Astra is too chicken to invest in: vintage Avon Tribute with bergamot essential oil mixed in! We are running out of Summer daze up here in Michigan, so I have to use it while I still can!

That's it for the latest installment. I'm hoping my friend @shavefan will pop in and say how jealous he is of my great knowledge of scents. I guess y'all could say I have a "sense" for scents.

That's what my Dad always told me, I was a "Smart Feller"....... Of course, he talked fast and mumbled sometimes... He MIGHT have referred to me as "Fort Smeller?"

Nah, that wasn't it...

FarmerTan

Gettin' ready for winter, just like Grampa used to have to, by putting up enough wood for burning.
IMG_20211110_161158989.jpg
It's fuller than it was last year at this time, and I still have LOTS of seasoned stuff outside, waiting to go in the shed when there is room.

This is not OBVIOUSLY a post about shaving. I will do one soon, I kinda promise, about my shave, and fragrance choice for the day my only begotten child got married, but I have just STILL been so emotional about the whole thing. You see, I am the woman in my lovely bride and my marriage!

This stuff outside is 90% her doing! LOL, being a homesteader with a bad heart and lungs suck!IMG_20211110_161121694.jpg
Here is a picture or two of why I wonder how I ever believed in evolution!IMG_20211110_140807351.jpg
Ants is amazin' animals!

FarmerTan

I finally got around to shaving today! We went to a wedding reception, and had a great time. And I actually used that brush that just won't die. And guess what? It didn't even shed a single bristle!

I also used the experimental soap: real old Old Spice that had lost it's scent that I have been adding Dollar General Store brand "Brut" clone aftershave to give it a WONDERFUL scent.

More details tomorrow. It's time for this Cinderella to take off his one remaining slipper and go to bed. I did not get this incredibly handsome in the face by missing my beauty sleep!

FarmerTan

My only begotten man child got married a few months ago, and it just so happened that I had just purchased a NOS razor kit for next to nothing from the 'Bay. It is from the year and Quarter that my folks had gotten married, so I thought it was fitting.

My son and his bride asked me to perform the ceremony months ago. What an honor. I mostly behaved. He hasn't posted the video yet, so I'm not sure if I did or not, to be honest. Here's a picture of the shave kit, if I can find it:
IMG_20210909_140509343.jpg

It even had a toothbrush, but I didn't want to use it that day, in case it had an Illness baked into it from 65+ years that my body ain't immune to, and I'd miss the festivities. Because, let's face it folks, a party ain't a party unless I'm there.

I'm posting this, as late as it is, because my friend @sarimento1 sent me a generous sample of Green Irish Tweed cologne, that I saved for the wedding.

He felt sorry for me. I started a thread, months ago, asking for good homages (fancy werd for copy!) of the GIT, and sarimento decided I should have the real thing!

I should apologize for my weird shenanigans here on B&B, I know, but I yam what I yam, and that's all that I yam. So thank you all for putting up with me. And thank you sarimento for making certain that if I wasn't the best LOOKING man at the wedding, at least I was the best SMELLING one!

It's fun having a son, but it's twice as nice having a son and a DIL, (Daughter in Love!)...

He learned ONE thing from his ol' man: he married UP.

My cup runneth over, truly.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My only begotten man child got married a few months ago, and it just so happened that I had just purchased a NOS razor kit for next to nothing from the 'Bay. It is from the year and Quarter that my folks had gotten married, so I thought it was fitting.

My son and his bride asked me to perform the ceremony months ago. What an honor. I mostly behaved. He hasn't posted the video yet, so I'm not sure if I did or not, to be honest. Here's a picture of the shave kit, if I can find it:View attachment 1373488
It even had a toothbrush, but I didn't want to use it that day, in case it had an Illness baked into it from 65+ years that my body ain't immune to, and I'd miss the festivities. Because, let's face it folks, a party ain't a party unless I'm there.

I'm posting this, as late as it is, because my friend @sarimento1 sent me a generous sample of Green Irish Tweed cologne, that I saved for the wedding.

He felt sorry for me. I started a thread, months ago, asking for good homages (fancy werd for copy!) of the GIT, and sarimento decided I should have the real thing!

I should apologize for my weird shenanigans here on B&B, I know, but I yam what I yam, and that's all that I yam. So thank you all for putting up with me. And thank you sarimento for making certain that if I wasn't the best LOOKING man at the wedding, at least I was the best SMELLING one!

It's fun having a son, but it's twice as nice having a son and a DIL, (Daughter in Love!)...

He learned ONE thing from his ol' man: he married UP.

My cup runneth over, truly.
You ever consider adopting. I'd be the 53 year old son that found his way in life but would be happy to have ebay finds. LOL

That is a cool gift. I'm sure he loved it and will cherish it always.

FarmerTan

This is the zaniest, whackiest, madcap type of an idea I've ever read on the forums. Well done.
And yet, I find it completely normal.

Welcome to my nightmare, to quote Alice Cooper, lol.

I went to a funeral last night of a friend, teacher, lawyer..... Reconnected with several old friends.... Talked their ears off, those poor folks....

I even talked past the point of them being comfortable, and I didn't care.
THAT is what it is to be me.

And to be my friend. You poor people.

Sorry for your loss. I find this very relatable. Sometimes I start thinking to myself “Would you just shut up already!” I usually ignore myself though. We don’t always get along well. :facep:
And yet, I find it completely normal.

Welcome to my nightmare, to quote Alice Cooper, lol.

I went to a funeral last night of a friend, teacher, lawyer..... Reconnected with several old friends.... Talked their ears off, those poor folks....

I even talked past the point of them being comfortable, and I didn't care.
THAT is what it is to be me.

And to be my friend. You poor people.

Top Bottom