What's new

Just help me decide and I'll do it.

Birthday present pick-a-brush poll... which one?

• 23mm Silvertip Shavemac

• 25mm Silvertip Shavemac

• 24mm Silvertip Saville Row

• 26mm Silvertip Saville Row

Results are only viewable after voting.
Birthday present. Nice Brush. Creams and soaps.

I'm using a Vulfix 405 (22mm) right now and I just do not appreciate it: floppy, hard to make soap lather, prickly and extremely loose knot. Is 24mm good or should I go up to 26mm for my first nice brush?

If you have any other suggestions, let 'er rip, though from what I've read thus far, I'm pretty much sticking with Shavemac or Saville Row. I also assume I'm getting a Bambino pretty soon also, so factor that one in.

And sorry, I know there's a couple of these posts right now, but my parents just called and want to do something nice, meaning they'll have to order soon.

Thanks guys!

(oh, and anybody ever use this? I'm extremely tempted, though the long handle seems to not be so favored by people here.

Seriously-- "I'm pretty much sticking with Shavemac or Saville Row."

The CH1, while it has many supporters, does not sound like the brush I want. I've read again and again about this thing and it just doesn't spark me.

Time and time again I see post after post about SR's and Shavemac's being the best value out there. From how people describe the knots and bristle ends, they just sound right. Were I to buy into the Simpson line, I'd probably go for one of the upper eschelon models and those are mega $$$. Plus, call me crazy, but I appreciate sticking with the little guy-- you always seem to get a better deal with the underdogs and their support is usually first class.

Have any input on the difference between SR and Shavemac, Ian? I was going to get the SM, but then Joel came out with that damn review of the 3824. Bastard.:001_tt2:

I'm heading in the same direction - major birthday coming up in August and I have ever so subtly provided crystal clear, written instructions for a Shavemac 23 silver tip and a Kent BK4. Then there's all the stuff that I will buy for myself because, what the hell, I deserve it!

I'm heading in the same direction - major birthday coming up in August and I have ever so subtly provided crystal clear, written instructions for a Shavemac 23 silver tip and a Kent BK4. Then there's all the stuff that I will buy for myself because, what the hell, I deserve it!

So how'd you decide on the Shavemac?

Since my Bk 4 arrived my other brushes don't get used very often. Direct from kent with a discount code provides the best value in brushes IMO. Great lather and quite soft on the face. May not be perfect, but IMHO comes very close. I haven't tried every brush, but it equals or exceed most at a very reasonable cost.:drool: Just my effort to muddy the water. Regards, Bradley:biggrin:

So how'd you decide on the Shavemac?

The reviews and comments on this site were pretty compelling. Then I played around on the Shavemac web site in the custom made section. Finally scooted an email to Bernd Bloss and got an email back from him recommending the 23 knot.

I settled on the Kent BK4 after posting a similar request to yours on the site a few weeks ago. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21279

Oh, ... and Happy Birthday

I agree some can stray off-topic, but that's what you're coming here for - others' opinions. No need to get sarcastic. You're getting more than you paid for.

J

It was a joke. Please take it as such. Hence the " ;) "

I appreciate the opinions. I really do. But this is something that I've been going over for months (at least in the back of my head) and I've narrowed it down to really those two companies. My question is more along the lines of "hey, if you have both, which would you pick and why?" I know these come up all the time and ultimately I'm just going to have to dive in, but I just wanted a little bit of guidance as I'm pretty new to this and there's a lot of great knowledge here.

Most brush experts on this forum believe that Shavemac=SR. It is thought that SR is a rebranded Shavemac. So your decision then becomes: Do I want a custom design? and, Large or small knot? My taste would lead me to a SR 3722, since I don't have an SR. You can't make a bad decision with the brushes listed in yur first post. Alot of us are enablers and are in need of a 12 step program for BAD (brush aquistion disorder). Regards, Bradley

I voted for a 23mm Shavemac, since I have one and it is my favorite brush and two, the larger brushes might be too large. The larger brushes can use up quite a bit of cream to build a decent lather as well as be harder to load up with soap in a container due to the size.

I'd say SM or SR in a 22-23 mm knot, you could go up to a 24, but that is as big as I would go for the first brush of these brands.

You can always get a 26-30mm knot later on. :biggrin:

I voted for a 23mm Shavemac, since I have one and it is my favorite brush and two, the larger brushes might be too large. The larger brushes can use up quite a bit of cream to build a decent lather as well as be harder to load up with soap in a container due to the size.

I'd say SM or SR in a 22-23 mm knot, you could go up to a 24, but that is as big as I would go for the first brush of these brands.

You can always get a 26-30mm knot later on. :biggrin:

I agree with the recommendation for a smaller brush, especially if you use soaps a lot - I have an SR 22mm and its a terrific brush for all types of soaps, creams, sticks, etc.

As per the majority, an order was sent off to Bernd this morning for a 23mm silvertip with the "tulip" handle in tortoiseshell with a stand. :biggrin:

Can't wait. Let's hope there's no Fish and Wildlife charge on there..... ugh.

Thanks for all your help everybody! Sometimes you just need a kick in the rear to go in one direction or the other.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Seriously-- "I'm pretty much sticking with Shavemac or Saville Row."

The CH1, while it has many supporters, does not sound like the brush I want. I've read again and again about this thing and it just doesn't spark me.

Time and time again I see post after post about SR's and Shavemac's being the best value out there. From how people describe the knots and bristle ends, they just sound right. Were I to buy into the Simpson line, I'd probably go for one of the upper eschelon models and those are mega $$$. Plus, call me crazy, but I appreciate sticking with the little guy-- you always seem to get a better deal with the underdogs and their support is usually first class.

Have any input on the difference between SR and Shavemac, Ian? I was going to get the SM, but then Joel came out with that damn review of the 3824. Bastard.:001_tt2:

Sounds like you put a lot of thought into narrowing it down, so that's fine. As to the difference between the two left, I really can't speak with any experience, so I'm not going to pretend to know and maybe steer you wrong. But generally, my preference now is leaning toward the smaller sizes (and that is similar to the bulk of voting, but ... TEHO) :w00t:

Well, sorry I can't be of much help here. My favorite brush is a Kent BK12, and I'm sure you don't even want to think about it. :rolleyes:

But, I don't have a bit of trouble loading it with soap or cream from a tub....

And, since I already have enough soaps and creams to last well beyond my expected lifetime, I'm happy to enjoy the indulgence rather than worrying about running out...:wink:

Top Bottom