What's new

Just had the best shave in years.

I don't know whether the stars aligned, that I truly took my time, or what, but it was the best shave ever.

I didn't shave this morning, full well knowing I was taking a half-day off from work.

Came home, loaded the ole Fatboy set at 8 with a Wilkinson Sword which are rapidly becoming one of my favorite blades, whipped up some MdC and meticulously scritched and scratched at my face. I think part of my success is that I really paid attention to which way my stubble was growing (not quite a full face-mapping, but close).

My entire face is BBS, even my neck. I had one tiny spot of irritation around the corner of my lips, but that's always a trouble spot for me.

I'm starting to wonder if it's true that they really don't make razors like they used to.

I wish I knew. Perhaps it was just the combination. I hadn't tried a Wilkinson in the fatboy until today. They work great in my EJ89 too, though. I think I may have to pick up some more of them and continue this trial.

Every now and then I get a shave experience that amazes me. Granted, I try to use it as a relaxing part of my day, but some days it's just many times better than others!

I can't imagine they can't copy the Fatboy to make a good razor these days. At least I hope not, jeez DE shaving seems to be growing you'd think they'd start reproduction on some of these, we all know Gillette and Schick love to make money.

I can't imagine they can't copy the Fatboy to make a good razor these days. At least I hope not, jeez DE shaving seems to be growing you'd think they'd start reproduction on some of these, we all know Gillette and Schick love to make money.

I'm sure the technology is there, but the cost may not make it worth it.

No longer is there a large DE shaving community (despite this site). And smaller companies probably cannot charge reasonable enough prices to make development/manufacture worthwhile. It's sad. I'd love to buy such a razor from a modern manufacturer just for the sake of it all.

I'm sure the technology is there, but the cost may not make it worth it.

No longer is there a large DE shaving community (despite this site). And smaller companies probably cannot charge reasonable enough prices to make development/manufacture worthwhile. It's sad. I'd love to buy such a razor from a modern manufacturer just for the sake of it all.

I have a line on just what you all are talking about but I don't want to be premature. More later!

Getting that pristine shave is what makes DE shaving so awesome (for me at least)...it's like getting that one perfect tee-off when playing a round of golf!

Gillette and Schick are in the business of razor blades these days, not razors......which is unfortunate.

I had another fantastic shave today.

The only components that stayed the same were the blade, pre/post routine, and my new WTG/XTG/ATG method (basically just making sure I REALLY go WTG first).

Today was DE89 (with Weber Bulldog handle), Mystic Water Lily of the Valley soap, and custom Deruitem brush.

I think that 1) I have found my blade. Previously I thought it was the Gillette Platinum (not 7'oclock), but Wilkinson Sword (Germany) just seems to be smooth and sharp with no irritation. The Plats were smooth and sharp, but I still emerge with some irritation or weepers. Perhaps I should give them another shot before I claim they're not as good as the Wilkies.
and 2) Actually going WTG first pass is of paramount importance.

God my face feels good. I feel like Ron Burgundy, "HEY EVERYONE, COME AND SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK."

Top Bottom