What's new

Just had a job interview. Need opinions.

Well I finally got the call today and I was offered the job!!! HR already sent me the written offer to sign. They gave me everything I asked for and I start the 23rd of this month. Can't wait to start! Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice.
Congrats! Well done on the interview, sounds like the company has a great culture

It's not advised to talk money unless your a actually being offered the position.
I respectfully disagree. While it shouldn't be the first thing out of either the candidate or employer's mouth it is something that should be discussed during the first "real" interview. By real I mean not generic screening interview with HR just to make sure you have a pulse but the first time meeting with the hiring manager.

If the interviewer doesn't bring it up I believe the interviewee should, tactfully of course but compensation is the significant reason we go to work so its not an area there should be any ambiguity. And while it might be more comfortable to dance around the issue with soft phrases like "your compensation will be commensurate with your education & experience". Ya, thats nice but doesn't accomplish anything. If you're being interviewed and are asked "what are your salary expectations" for starters be educated. Look at sites like glassdoor, indeed, etc., if you belong to a professional society they might have market data, etc. Then be self-assured in your response (but not arrogant) and say something along the lines of "based on my x years of experience, the positive impact I've had in previous roles I believe $xxx,xxx to be fair but I'm also looking to join an organization where I'll be valued, respected and be able to make an impact". When negotiating salary be certain to look at everything. Whats the guaranteed pay, what's at risk though individual vs group or company performance, vehicle or education allowance. Non-cash items like parking, gym or social club memberships, etc.

Oh, be gracious in giving notice at the old job. Be positive. Tell co-workers and bosses how much you appreciated their support. Say it even if you don't mean every word. Leave a good final impression.

You betcha,

Give WRITTEN notice to leave/quit.

Well I finally got the call today and I was offered the job!!! HR already sent me the written offer to sign. They gave me everything I asked for and I start the 23rd of this month. Can't wait to start! Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice.
happy-dance-.gif

You betcha,

Give WRITTEN notice to leave/quit.

+100000
Good luck!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Well done with landing the new position. I hope that it all works out well for the future.

Top Bottom