What's new

Just gotten an GEM 1912 SE..

Pay attention to post-shave blade prep. Many of the blades from the drugstore (like the Treet, which I like) are not coated and will rust after the first use. I started an inquiry thread on this topic a day or two ago and got may good thoughts - check it out under razor blades.

Everyone is right-one about the starting angle. The grip will also be different as mentioned. The handles on these razors are small and short by today's standards as many men were smaller and shorter in 1912 than we are today. These are not whole hand power grip razors. Concentrate, go slow, be sensitive to the feedback, and you will be amazed.

My first SE shave was with a Gem Featherweight. It was a perfect BBS two pass shave with some buffing. No nicks, weepers, or irritation. And this was after a year on the Futur and turning my face into hamburger. I will be shaving for the first time with a 1912 Damaskeene this morning. Perhaps it will be another great shave, perhaps it won't. But I will stay with the same technique everyone here suggests. Best wishes with your journey into SE shaving!

You've been using a DE for a while so don't get too wrapped up in changing. I found the 1912 just sort of finds its angle by design and it's not like going from an electric to a straight. Good blades, light pressure and soon you'll come to really like the amplified sound of popping whiskers!

More thoughts after shaving with a 1912 Damaskeene (the model before yours) for the first time this morning. I think it is helpful to remember the historical context of when these razors were made and marketed to men. It came at a time when most men shaved just a couple of times a week at the most with straight razors. These "new" razors were designed to make the transition from a straight razor to a new and more expensive blade and shaving system (sound's eerily familiar, doesn't it?). When I shave with a new-to-me SE, I think about what it would be like to shave with a straight - go slow, watch the angle: the steeper the angle the deeped the cut, etc. It's really not that different from shaving with a new DE, and as others have posted, the initial angle in built in for you.

Best wishes on your new shaving experience!

Top Bottom