What's new

Just got my Merkur HD, need some advice

I'm new to wetshaving and just need some advice before getting started. Here are some questions I have:

1. Should I throw out the razor balade that came with the HD? I heard people said that blade wasn't good, why is that?

2. Any recommendations on shaving cream? The only one I could find was Proraso. I live in Canada and can't seem to find any of the shaving creams that ppl on here use like Geo F Trumper and Taylor of old bond street.

3. Any advice on shaving techniques? How do I get the hair underneath the nose?

First of all welcome to B&B!

With regards to your questions...

1. Yes...throw that blade away. You can't tell the condition of the blade and its just not worth it...blades are inexpensive.

2. QED is where you will be able to find alot of the products which we talk about here. The site isn't the most user friendly but you can always contact Charles and he can help you out.

3. The head on the HD is not as large as the Futur and Vision so you shouldn't have problems getting that area. There is alot of info on this forum...talk a look around. Everyone is here to help.

It's not worth risking nicks and cuts with the factory blade. It's been moving around in the box. Toss it and use a fresh one.

Ditto on axeing the blade - it isn't worth it.

You can beg freebies from the various vendors, though Taylors doesn't give them out any more. There is also some handsome genius here who offers lots of samples - check out the trading forum.... :rolleyes:

Two more questions:

1. How long does 1 Merkur blade (using both sides) last for on avg?

2. Is there any way to prevent the inevatable nicks and cuts as a beginner?

Jimmy025 said:
Two more questions:

1. How long does 1 Merkur blade (using both sides) last for on avg?

2. Is there any way to prevent the inevatable nicks and cuts as a beginner?

It varies by individual, but most here change the blade after a week of shaves whether it needs it or not. For a few cents, why risk it?

Take your time and learn good prep. That is your best defense. That and a careful eye on razor angle, and you'll go far. Read the FAQ and ask lots of questions. Good luck.

Just one more question:

1. Does it matter what side of the blade goes into the razor? I have merkur blades but both sides look identical.

Jimmy025 said:
Just one more question:

1. Does it matter what side of the blade goes into the razor? I have merkur blades but both sides look identical.

Just as long as the long edge of the blade is parallel to the long edge of the razor you'll be good to go.:wink2:

slcsteve said:
Just as long as the long edge of the blade is parallel to the long edge of the razor you'll be good to go.:wink2:

Sorry, I am really not getting this. My Merkur didn't come with instructions. My blade doesn't have a long edge or does it? Does it matter which way u put the blade into the razor?

Jimmy025 said:
Sorry, I am really not getting this. My Merkur didn't come with instructions. My blade doesn't have a long edge or does it? Does it matter which way u put the blade into the razor?

If you can get the blade in and tightemn in down you have put the blade in properly. I think you are asking if there is an UP or DOWN side to a blade. There is not. Once the blade is installed you can shave with either side. Most people try to switch the side they shave with when they rinse to keep the blade wear even. I personally do not worry too much about this however because after a few shaves you will have probably used the two sides equally without even trying.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy025 said:
... I live in Canada and can't seem to find any of the shaving creams that ppl on here use ...

A "I live in Canada" post and I missed it? I must be slipping. Jimmy, if you don't mind me asking, where in Canada do you live (it is a fairly big place after all)?

If you are looking for some of the fairly-good-but-not-that-expensive stuff (like KMF, Arko, Proraso, etc) I would suggest checking out "ethnic grocery stores" (for lack of a better term... Arko = Turkish, Proraso = Itallian) or looking at a *.* SuperStore (Real Canadian SuperStore, Atlantic SuperStore, etc) for KMF. For higher-end stuff you might consider looking at holt Renfrew (if there is one where you live) or a cigar shop (many of them have a little shave-related section).

If you happen to be in/near Ottawa you should check out Menessentials... actually, you should check them out no matter where you live. Note: ME has a .ca site and a .com site and with the recent up-swing in the Canadian $ products are less expensive on the .com version of the site.

There are other stores as well, I'm sure... With a little work you may be amazed at what you can find.

NMMB said:
A "I live in Canada" post and I missed it? I must be slipping. Jimmy, if you don't mind me asking, where in Canada do you live (it is a fairly big place after all)?

If you are looking for some of the fairly-good-but-not-that-expensive stuff (like KMF, Arko, Proraso, etc) I would suggest checking out "ethnic grocery stores" (for lack of a better term... Arko = Turkish, Proraso = Itallian) or looking at a *.* SuperStore (Real Canadian SuperStore, Atlantic SuperStore, etc) for KMF. For higher-end stuff you might consider looking at holt Renfrew (if there is one where you live) or a cigar shop (many of them have a little shave-related section).

If you happen to be in/near Ottawa you should check out Menessentials... actually, you should check them out no matter where you live. Note: ME has a .ca site and a .com site and with the recent up-swing in the Canadian $ products are less expensive on the .com version of the site.

There are other stores as well, I'm sure... With a little work you may be amazed at what you can find.

Thanks for the info. I live in the toronto area. I know where to get Proraso but do you know of any stores that sell Taylor or Trumper. BTW, the sens stink. goleafsgo.

Jimmy025 said:
Thanks for the info. I live in the toronto area. I know where to get Proraso but do you know of any stores that sell Taylor or Trumper. BTW, the sens stink. goleafsgo.

I don't know about getting Taylors in TO, but you can always order it from QED or if you prefer to order from a Canadian shop then you can order from Juliet's Day Spa. As for Trumpers, well, I was speaking with them a while back and they have only 2 retailers in Canada, one of which is in Toronto. The store is called "B SLEUTH & STATESMAN INC" and is located at "130 KING STREET W. EXCHANGE TOWER" ("STREET LEVEL ,YORK STREET ENTRANCE"). I don't know anything about this place, but I've heard that it is a little expensive... if you decide to check the place out, please let us know what it is like.

As for the hockey comment... well, I would like to take a moment to extend my most sincere condolences... Apparently the dirty air in Toronto has made you retarded. :biggrin:

NMMB said:
As for the hockey comment... well, I would like to take a moment to extend my most sincere condolences... Apparently the dirty air in Toronto has made you retarded. :biggrin:

But doesn't that air sometimes readch as far as Eastern Ontario? :eek: :biggrin:

Um, yeah, I'm smug. I live in Alberta where, you know, clean air is NORMAL.

And, although we have two hockey teams that can't seem to win the Stanley Cup, at least they can BOTH make it to the finals.

Leafs, Senators - whatever. God bless you guys, we just love the comic relief out here. And it never stops.

:lol: :lol:

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox said:
...God bless you guys, we just love the comic relief out here. And it never stops...

Comic relief, eh? Is that what you get when you vote for clowns like Klein and Harper? :w00t:

NMMB said:
Comic relief, eh? Is that what you get when you vote for clowns like Klein and Harper? :w00t:

Firstly, yeah Klein is our fault. Collectively I mean. While I didn't vote for him, I sadly have to admit that, yes, he's ours.

As for Harper, collectively speaking, he's as much your fault as mine, maybe even more.

And, I didn't vote conservative federally either. I'm a bit left winbg that way.

Anyway, I find it interesting that, when faced with an insult about your air quality and your hockey teams, you choose to talk about politics. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Maybe I'd do the same if I lived in Ontario.

Peace,

Pierre

Top Bottom