What's new

Just got my first pipe.

Congrats! Beauty of a starter pipe too. I still have my first pipe - a cob - and pull it out on occasion. Nothing like a pipe and a good book on a cool morning.

Congrats! Beauty of a starter pipe too. I still have my first pipe - a cob - and pull it out on occasion. Nothing like a pipe and a good book on a cool morning.
Thank you! What you described sounds like a wonderful way to start your day! I look forward to those mornings.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

You just HAD to say that, didn't you. I pulled out five or six novels about six months ago and have only went through two of them...one in about eight hours at one setting...Michael Crichton's CONGO.

Now what next...Fitzgerald's THIS SIDE OF PARADISE or THE GREAT GASTBY again. Or maybe Wambaugh's THE ONION FIELD (I remember when that really happened), or Ludlum's THE BOURNE SUPREMACY, or Clancy's EXECUTIVE ORDERS again. When you leave some books on the shelf for a few years they are almost like new reading again.

Decisions, decisions....

Yes...a good pipe, a good book....

I may need to look at getting some Hemingway and Robert Ruark ones.

A few years ago on another forum we had a baccy and book PIF. One of us would post up a genre and a variety of tobacco, upon which somebody sent a book and a few samples of tobacco, hence posting his own interests. That was fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Sounds like a great experience! That's the real value of brick and mortar pipe shops with real pipe smokers. They'll treat you right, give you the tips and tools to make a strong start in the hobby, and keep you coming back for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
A few years ago on another forum we had a baccy and book PIF. One of us would post up a genre and a variety of tobacco, upon which somebody sent a book and a few samples of tobacco, hence posting his own interests. That was fun.

That's a really neat idea. The first thing that popped to mind was a Pete and an English blend with one of the Sherlock Holmes books. Or, a dress billiard and Gatsby Luxury Flake with The Great Gatsby.

That's a really neat idea. The first thing that popped to mind was a Pete and an English blend with one of the Sherlock Holmes books. Or, a dress billiard and Gatsby Luxury Flake with The Great Gatsby.
If anybody were to get something like this started i would be super into it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You just HAD to say that, didn't you. I pulled out five or six novels about six months ago and have only went through two of them...one in about eight hours at one setting...Michael Crichton's CONGO.

Now what next...Fitzgerald's THIS SIDE OF PARADISE or THE GREAT GASTBY again. Or maybe Wambaugh's THE ONION FIELD (I remember when that really happened), or Ludlum's THE BOURNE SUPREMACY, or Clancy's EXECUTIVE ORDERS again. When you leave some books on the shelf for a few years they are almost like new reading again.

Decisions, decisions....

Yes...a good pipe, a good book....

I may need to look at getting some Hemingway and Robert Ruark ones.
I'd go This Side of Paradise, because I haven't read it yet.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'd go This Side of Paradise, because I haven't read it yet.

He's a bit "flowery" on the prose in that one, but I think it was his first published book. The Great Gatsby was better.

There is a writer's club in town that I've been thinking about attending that meets once a month. I won several writing competitions in college, and received an English scholarship, but you can't tell it by my writing and spelling now. :biggrin1:

I wonder if they allow pipe smoking at the writer's club meetings.

He's a bit "flowery" on the prose in that one, but I think it was his first published book. The Great Gatsby was better.

There is a writer's club in town that I've been thinking about attending that meets once a month. I won several writing competitions in college, and received an English scholarship, but you can't tell it by my writing and spelling now. :biggrin1:

I wonder if they allow pipe smoking at the writer's club meetings.
I really like Fitzgerald. Gatsby is good, i also really liked thw one about the couple on thw french riviera....was it the bautiful and the damned?

EDIT: nope, its tender is the night. Its been a long time, but i remember loving that one.

I also love 'the sun also rises'. Great literature from the lost generation!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I could read me some Chuck Klosterman: killing yourself to live. Right about now, unfortunately I loaned it to a co worker where I used to work and never got it back.... it's a great book written by an author/essayist as he is often described about rock legends and/or rock artists whatever way you want to label it, and why they become more famous after they die? So he takes a road trip to visit and see these places where all these things took place and along the way some crazy, funny, and holy $#!T stuff happens.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and to derail the thread again (I'm real good at that)...I heard Hemingway used one of these from time to time...a Royal Quiet De Luxe. The numbers on mine show it to be made in 1948. It still works great.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

I might need to put some paper in it and start using it again...maybe I'll get my muse back.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Oh, and to derail the thread again (I'm real good at that)...I heard Hemingway used one of these from time to time...a Royal Quiet De Luxe. The numbers on mine show it to be made in 1948. It still works great.

View attachment 775794

I might need to put some paper in it and start using it again...maybe I'll get my muse back.

That's cool and all... but I'd recommend a fountain pen. :biggrin1:

Congratulations. I fondly remember getting my first pipe. It was in Great Falls, MT in 1982, and was a Dr. Grabow bent. I didn't use the filters. Absolutely no idea where and what happened to it. I think my first pouch of tobacco was Borkum Riff.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Can you still get ribbons?

A local office supply (not a big box) has several different kinds. I'll have to look at the package for what model the one that's in it is. A guy that worked on typewriters there said that one would work as a substitute for the original. It works just fine. I believe they are easily obtained online also.

I drove my granddaughter crazy when I let her use it. I told her to type the numbers from one to five, and to put an exclamation point at the end of a sentence. She had a fit trying to find the number 1 key and the exclamation key. :lol:

I learned which keys to substitute for that on a portable when I was a youngster...my keyboarding class was a semester of typing on a full-sized old manual Royal typewriter in Jr. High.

Where does it plug in and where's the screen?:lol:

The T.V. is in the living room. I think one of the vacuum tubes is going out on it again...gonna have to pull the back off of it and check.

Top Bottom