What's new

Just got my first pipe.

So today I drove out to San Luis Obispo Ca. With my wife, our little girl decided she wanted to stay with her grandma so we came by ourselves which almost rarely happens. My wife went to go look at make up and I figured I'd go take a stroll as it is a beautiful day out here, I was walking and came across a very nice little smoke shop, the shop owner was very nice and of course offered assistance anyway he could.

I started first by looking at all the beautiful pipes and I was so tempted to purchase one of the more "fancy" ones with a fancy price to match but I held back and went for a Crown that was very affordable at $30 and it was relatively smaller than the other beastly sized ones in the glass case, I figured it would be best to start small so this is what I chose to take home.

The owner of the shop then took the pipe and gave it a polish while I chose a dark colored tobacco from the jars he had set up for $5 oz as it smelled absolutely wonderful, he fully packed my pipe and gave me a 20 minute lesson on how to get started which was great. He then asked if I had any of the tools needed for pipe smoking I of course answered "no sir I do not" so he threw in a pack of pipe cleaners, a tamper and some wooden matches free of charge.

The experience all together was great, I really enjoyed myself. He then proceeded to tell me that anytime I'm in town I'm more than welcome to come in with my pipe and try as many of the different tobacccos as I wanted in case I ever wanted to change it up. I also thought it was awesome that there were other guys in there just lounging smoking their pipe or cigar and having deep conversation, one would leave and another would take his spot it was just very cool is what I'm trying to say.

Based on what I seen today my favorite style of pipe is based on the kaywoodie bulldog with a bent tip. Maybe if this pipe smoking lifestyle works out that'll be my upgrade in the future. Thanks for hearing me out guys.
IMG_4620.jpg

Congrats on entering a new lifestyle. If you are like me you will find smoking a pipe to be very relaxing and a great stress reliever. Enjoy!!

Merk61

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks like a nice little pipe to start out with. Nice that you're kinda close to a tobacconist. The cigar/pipe lounges I've been to usually have some nice leather chairs and couches, a big screen T.V., a walk-in humidor for the cigar guys, and some serve alcohol, some don't. Just walk in, sit down, and help solve the world's problems with your fellow smokers.

Since you had an enjoyable experience...do you have any plans on what's next?

Hey guys...I'm just trying to...help. :001_smile

Congrats on entering a new lifestyle. If you are like me you will find smoking a pipe to be very relaxing and a great stress reliever. Enjoy!!

Merk61
Thanks and you know I puffed on the pipe and honestly I was simply enjoying myself it was just great I felt at ease and just comfortable. Plus the tobacco I chose was really nice. My wife was nice enough to go back with me and she treated me to another ounce of tobacco which was really cool of her.

Sounds fantastic! Maybe one day I'll have the chance to visit a place such as that. Nice looking pipe.
Thank you. For my first piece I thought it was proper in size, style and price. I was lucky to have found this place near me, I hope you find one that's great too.

That looks like a nice little pipe to start out with. Nice that you're kinda close to a tobacconist. The cigar/pipe lounges I've been to usually have some nice leather chairs and couches, a big screen T.V., a walk-in humidor for the cigar guys, and some serve alcohol, some don't. Just walk in, sit down, and help solve the world's problems with your fellow smokers.

Since you had an enjoyable experience...do you have any plans on what's next?

Hey guys...I'm just trying to...help. :001_smile
Thank you, the place I went to was certainly very nice, very classy little spot. Sounds like the ones you speak of are large and lounge like? They sound awesome. I think the place I went into served alcohol too because I seen a man with a glass of wine in there. As of right now I'm going to finish the two ounces of tobacco I brought home with me and work on my pipe smoking skills. I will most likely spend a lot of time doing research on this topic as I do with anything that peaks my interest and just enjoy it as best as I possibly can. Certainly I would eventually like to get a meerschaum pipe, they're absolutely beautiful.

Can some one tell me what the difference in smoking quality is between a pipe that does not have a stinger to one that does? Also, extra long stinger? Any help is appreciated.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I believe the stinger was invented to reduce pipe gurgle and / or cool the smoke, but have been found to be marginally effective, if at all. Some stingers are removable and some pipe owners remove them and smoke the pipes without them. I have not found them to be very useful in the few pipes I have that have them and only complicate cleaning the stem. Modern pipes rarely use them if that says anything. YMMV.

I believe the stinger was invented to reduce pipe gurgle and / or cool the smoke, but have been found to be marginally effective, if at all. Some stingers are removable and some pipe owners remove them and smoke the pipes without them. I have not found them to be very useful in the few pipes I have that have them and only complicate cleaning the stem. Modern pipes rarely use them if that says anything. YMMV.
Ahh okay, good to know. I did notice a lot of the vintage pipes had them but wasn't sure if they were still used today. I know some do have them but are removable and the older ones look like they aren't. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

Any pipe I have with a stinger, I smoke with them removed. They were supposed to reduce moisture in the smoke I believe. But mostly they make a condensation point and make it impossible to get a pipe cleaner through the stem. The draw is improved nicely after they are removed as well. If it is a permanent stinger I doubt I would bother with removing it but if they can come out I always take them out.

Also congrats on the first pipe! Looks nice!

Any pipe I have with a stinger, I smoke with them removed. They were supposed to reduce moisture in the smoke I believe. But mostly they make a condensation point and make it impossible to get a pipe cleaner through the stem. The draw is improved nicely after they are removed as well. If it is a permanent stinger I doubt I would bother with removing it but if they can come out I always take them out.

Also congrats on the first pipe! Looks nice!
Thank you amigo! Just wanted some info on this so I can make a proper decision when buying in the future. There's just so much more to learn now and that is where most my excitement comes from.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sounds like the ones you speak of are large and lounge like? They sound awesome. I think the place I went into served alcohol too because I seen a man with a glass of wine in there.

I've only been to a few shops, but I think I may have kinda seen the range of the styles. Been to a Mom and Pop shop that had a counter with a few jars of house blends, a small walk-in humidor for cigars, a little rack of different quality pipes, and a back room where they did the house blending of the jarred tobacco for sale.

Was in that one about two years ago, and I remember going in there in the '70s to pick up a cigar. The guy working there was very helpful..he made me a pretty good match for Escudo.

Home | Ted's Pipe Shop | Tulsa Cigars, Pipes & Pipe Tobacco

Then a little bit bigger shop that also had about five leather chairs around a coffee table, along with some end tables with ashtrays in the front part of the shop by the counter and had a bit bigger selection of pipes, along with a bit bigger walk-in humidor and a flat screen T.V. on the wall.

And then a bit bigger shop that had a kinda sorta small front space with the counter and several racks of house blends on the wall, and then in another room behind that was the smoking lounge with leather chairs, big screen T.V., computers, etc. But you had to have a membership to use the lounge. I only got a tour of the lounge when I was there.

newtobaccopouch

I kinda like the Mom and Pop stores...I have a leather couch at home (but I really like my cloth Lazy Boy recliner) along with a T.V. If I want to have some scotch, a beer, or something I don't have to worry about driving home or getting a cab.

I think I'm going to do some exploring in the Dallas area for some lounges though...just to help solve the world's problems.

I've only been to a few shops, but I think I may have kinda seen the range of the styles. Been to a Mom and Pop shop that had a counter with a few jars of house blends, a small walk-in humidor for cigars, a little rack of different quality pipes, and a back room where they did the house blending of the jarred tobacco for sale.

Was in that one about two years ago, and I remember going in there in the '70s to pick up a cigar. The guy working there was very helpful..he made me a pretty good match for Escudo.

Home | Ted's Pipe Shop | Tulsa Cigars, Pipes & Pipe Tobacco

Then a little bit bigger shop that also had about five leather chairs around a coffee table, along with some end tables with ashtrays in the front part of the shop by the counter and had a bit bigger selection of pipes, along with a bit bigger walk-in humidor and a flat screen T.V. on the wall.

And then a bit bigger shop that had a kinda sorta small front space with the counter and several racks of house blends on the wall, and then in another room behind that was the smoking lounge with leather chairs, big screen T.V., computers, etc. But you had to have a membership to use the lounge. I only got a tour of the lounge when I was there.

newtobaccopouch

I kinda like the Mom and Pop stores...I have a leather couch at home (but I really like my cloth Lazy Boy recliner) along with a T.V. If I want to have some scotch, a beer, or something I don't have to worry about driving home or getting a cab.

I think I'm going to do some exploring in the Dallas area for some lounges though...just to help solve the world's problems.
Well I must say, that smoking lounge is really nice looking. I wouldn't mind sitting there solving world issues for a day....or at least discussing them with someone for awhile as well. That sounds like a fantastic voyage my good sir, I really hope you find something special out there. I am honestly not too sure how many tobaccian shops I have around me as I never previously looked for them but it's time I opened my eyes and do some exploring of my own, because it's half the fun.

Top Bottom