What's new

Just got my first Gillette Tech!

I just splurged on a postwar Tech in gold with a fat handle, like the one I have now, AND a 1967 Travel Tech in its little snap case with the cardboard "blade" still in the head. I plan to swap the handles and have a nickel head/gold handle Tech, and a gold head/short handle Travel Tech kit that I can button up and toss into my suitcase. Plus I will have 2 backups to my current Tech.

Thanks all,

I still haven’t used the razor yet as I’m considering giving it a quick gentle disinfect wash.

Then the challenge of what ammunition to load for the maiden voyage. I currently have loads of Astra SP, Feathers and Voskhod; and a small amount of Derby’s (no thanks), Merkurs (too dull IMO) and some unbranded supermarket blades.

Thanks,

R

Thanks all,

I still haven’t used the razor yet as I’m considering giving it a quick gentle disinfect wash.

Then the challenge of what ammunition to load for the maiden voyage. I currently have loads of Astra SP, Feathers and Voskhod; and a small amount of Derby’s (no thanks), Merkurs (too dull IMO) and some unbranded supermarket blades.

Thanks,

R
Bolzano and Voskhod are the best for me, with Astra, Nacets and a couple other are just as comfortable, but give a shave less on average per blade. Never cared for Feather, Derby or Merkur blades. Techs are the one razor that I purposely by every one I find that is affordable.

I've pretty much used Feathers in my Tech since I got it, following the advice here of "mild razor, sharp blade." It seems to work for me. In fact it did just now with a shave on a 36-hour beard: vrery smooth and clean-feeling afterward.

I just used my new acquisition, another postwar fat-handled Tech in champagne gold with the Gillette logo incised into the cap. With a Derby blade, it provided a comfortable and yet close shave.

"Although it's been said many times, many ways . . .

Merry Tech-shaving to you!"

Never been bitten by the Tech. Been bitten by most of the other razors I own. Still, it shaves close enough. As I get older I have less inclination to really aggressive razors. The New Long Comb is aggressive in comparison, I have been bitten by it. Operator error with all the 'bites' but anyways, the Tech is idiot proof or close to it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks all,

Thanks,

R
The Kai is my preferred blade in my Techs. :)

Soak it in Dawn dish soap in warm water. Use a toothbrush to scrub the soapy water onto the razor. Rinse, load a blade, & be prepared to be amazed!

The tech is the one razor I keep going back to no matter what . I have had many far more expensive razors and yet the tech remains. My favorite blades are Gillette Silver Blue, feather and Kai’s. Advantage goes to the Kai.

I just used my favorite razor, a 1962 Tech tonight with an Astra Stainless.
They’re a perfect match, got a fabulous shave. Techs are the best.... I like the ball end handled ones the most..... 50s and 60s era.
The ball end tech is my favorite tech as well. Of the 7 techs that I have 5 of them are ball end techs. 2 of my Techs are prewar. 3 are late 40s and the last 2 are 1954 date codes. And Astra SS blades are one of my favorite blades. Though Gillette Silver Blues are my top blade

So GR5233, I have read the prewar Techs are more aggressive. Some say they are the best Tech. I have the newer type Techs. Have you noticed any difference with yours?

My most recent acquisition is a Travel Tech in a little flexible plastic gold case, with a packet of Gillette Super Stainless blades included. I didn't think I'd like it as a shaver -- I bought it to get the unused head, and planned to put it on another, fatter handle. But my shave with it and a Shark blade on the little handle this morning was excellent.

The seller said it was a 1967, but it turns out it's a K4 -- 1965.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My most recent acquisition is a Travel Tech in a little flexible plastic gold case, with a packet of Gillette Super Stainless blades included. I didn't think I'd like it as a shaver -- I bought it to get the unused head, and planned to put it on another, fatter handle. But my shave with it and a Shark blade on the little handle this morning was excellent.

The seller said it was a 1967, but it turns out it's a K4 -- 1965.
That's awesome. I've always wondered what those short handles shaved like, but like anything, I figure you get used to it. Congrats my friend!

Top Bottom