What's new

Just got my 1st Fatboy (1961). How do I know it's 1-9 dial is working?

Is there something that is supposed to move when you turn the dial from 1 to 9.

Ive also got a '67 Slim and have the same question about it.

I can never really notice the difference when just turning the dial on my slim, fat boy or super adjustable. I can see the difference in blade gap. So when I get a new razor I insert a blade and try different settings, inspecting the blade gap. This also makes it easier to see a slightly bent safety bar.

I never turn the adjustment dials unless the TTO doors are loose. I read that when I was looking for Gillette adjustables. I've never tried adjusting with the doors closed, because it's supposed to be bad for the razor.

Also: I think the movement in the adjustment is very small to the naked eye. Somewhere out there is a table of blade gaps in different razors and the adjustments were measured in hundredths of millimeters. Here it is: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

Last edited:
I never turn the adjustment dials unless the TTO doors are loose. I read that when I was looking for Gillette adjustables. I've never tried adjusting with the doors closed, because it's supposed to be bad for the razor.

Also: I think the movement in the adjustment is very small to the naked eye. Somewhere out there is a table of blade gaps in different razors and the adjustments were measured in hundredths of millimeters. Here it is: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

Yes, thanks, I forgot to mention loosening the doors.

And yes the variation is slight with each number, but with a blade installed you can see the difference with a few clicks, I usually try 9, 5 and 1. 9 has a decent size gap while 1 should be pretty close. If you check each number it will be hard to distinguish.

There should be a plate on the bottom with 4 small rectangular arms that come up as you go from 1-9. I just got one today too and mine isn't working :angry:

I had the same problem with mine. Soaking it in hot water and dish soap for a day helped to start loosening up the plate (I had to repeat the process a few times). It is probably jammed with years of soap residue.

There should be a plate on the bottom with 4 small rectangular arms that come up as you go from 1-9. I just got one today too and mine isn't working :angry:

So with no blade in it and the doors open are you supposed to see these 4 arms go up and down?

I haven't played with my adjustables for awhile with them open, I'll look when I get home from work, but if I recall correctly I can not seen any major movement with the razor when turning the dial. Remember that the amount of adjustment with each click is very small. I am sure someone will either confirm or correct this statement before I have a chance to check this evening after work.

Also I have had the fortune of not receiving a stuck razor yet (knock on wood), but if it was gunked up wouldn't the dial also be difficult to turn or not turn at all? (that wasn't rhetorical, I would like to know as well).

So with no blade in it and the doors open are you supposed to see these 4 arms go up and down?

Yes, you should see the arms go up and down, but that is sometimes hard to see. Best way IMO to tell if it is working is to check the blade gap on 1, 5 & 9 as mentioned earlier. There is a huge difference in blade gap, even to the naked eye, between 1 and 9, still pretty obvious between 1 and 5 and 5 and 9.

Having used adjustables for a several months now, I can *almost* just glance at the blade gap and tell what number it is at, though I am more anal than most. :wink2:

I just got home and had a Slim (from Stan at Above the Tie) waiting for me in the mail. Perfect, lets look and see if the arms move. I may have seen it move on a couple of the clicks, but I could definitely tell it had moved looking at blade gap.

I was a little worried after stating above I had not ever received a frozen adjustable

Top Bottom