What's new

Just got a polished Vector

And all I can say is wow! It's got the maneuverability of an injector, and it's very efficient Its smooth and gorgeous and wonderful. It could easily be my only razor. More to follow when I am not on my phone. Proline B30's provided a smooth perfect chance with no alum sting the first try. It's the most expensive razor I own, and completely worth it to me

Some quick pics and one with thr ATT SE1 for reference
20190401_111327.jpg
20190401_111319.jpg
20190401_111404.jpg
20190401_111358.jpg
20190401_111259.jpg

The end result is the same. The blade feel is the same. That being said, there was no alum sting after the first shave with the Vector. I need to use the SE1 tomorrow and see if i get the same results. I have been using my injectors lately so I cant remember alum sting from the SE1

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Very nice. I too like the smaller heads for maneuverability. Truly one of the benefits of the Injector and AC format blades to my way of thinking.

I went back to my SE1 today. The end results are exactly the same. BBS, no real alum or AS sting, etc. The main difference is the bulk. Even with the Atlas handle the SE1 is still much bulkier doe to the head design. I have a mustache and goatee so i can't speak to ease of shaving there but I imagine the Vector is going to get twenty two thumbs up vs the SE1 in that area. The head is just so much smaller. I took it with me travelling, so I will be using it for the next two weeks exclusively and I make my way from coast to coast. today I have Tampa Bay outside my window, later in the week I go to SC for a few days, then on to San Francisco. The Vector will be my constant companion.

I'm not looking at my Gems wondering how I would use that if i didn't have a mustache. It's a completely different way of thinking because IIRC going ATG there is a bad idea and how would you do a WTG? Anyway, this is my most expensive razor and I honestly think it could be my only one. Except we all know it won't be because I like variety. Oh yea and I have a supply on the way. I do not think it will supplant the Vector though. I love my injectors, but they are not as smooth and efficient as this. Some are efficient, and some are smooth, but none of them combine it as well as the Vector or the SE1.

@rabidus time for a little payback buddy ;) This is better than your SE1 :p. You got me going down this rabbit hole, so batter up :)

@rabidus time for a little payback buddy ;) This is better than your SE1 :p. You got me going down this rabbit hole, so

:thumbsup:

I'll have to take you at your word on that one, nice comparison though!

I don't have any issues with the bulk or maneuverability the SE1, It's a big boy razor, I can wield it just fine. :001_unsur I only shave ATG and I shave my entire beard.

Sounds like the Vector is a winner, but the reasons it may be better, is not an issue for me with the SE1, which is why I never picked one up!

I went back to my SE1 today. The end results are exactly the same. BBS, no real alum or AS sting, etc. The main difference is the bulk. Even with the Atlas handle the SE1 is still much bulkier doe to the head design. I have a mustache and goatee so i can't speak to ease of shaving there but I imagine the Vector is going to get twenty two thumbs up vs the SE1 in that area. The head is just so much smaller. I took it with me travelling, so I will be using it for the next two weeks exclusively and I make my way from coast to coast. today I have Tampa Bay outside my window, later in the week I go to SC for a few days, then on to San Francisco. The Vector will be my constant companion.

I'm not looking at my Gems wondering how I would use that if i didn't have a mustache. It's a completely different way of thinking because IIRC going ATG there is a bad idea and how would you do a WTG? Anyway, this is my most expensive razor and I honestly think it could be my only one. Except we all know it won't be because I like variety. Oh yea and I have a supply on the way. I do not think it will supplant the Vector though. I love my injectors, but they are not as smooth and efficient as this. Some are efficient, and some are smooth, but none of them combine it as well as the Vector or the SE1.

@rabidus time for a little payback buddy ;) This is better than your SE1 :p. You got me going down this rabbit hole, so batter up :)
I shaved with a GEM razor on Sunday and Monday of this week, and I shave every square millimeter of my face. Once I learned how to shave the mustache area with a straight razor, the way to do it was a GEM was immediately obvious. It's not particularly hard, but may require a bit of practice.
I take the GEM blade straight at the philtrum, touch the skin gently, and then pull downwards, adjusting the angle as I go. Same thing under the nostrils. Pull the nose to the opposite side to make as large a flat area as possible, then just go straight at it like you're going to slice yourself, but once it touches gently, start to pull down, immediately adjusting the angle as you go.

It works for me. It's the same method people use with a straight razor. Even the smallest straight razor blade is at least as bulky as a GEM razor head.

:thumbsup:

I'll have to take you at your word on that one, nice comparison though!

I don't have any issues with the bulk or maneuverability the SE1, It's a big boy razor, I can wield it just fine. :001_unsur I only shave ATG and I shave my entire beard.

Sounds like the Vector is a winner, but the reasons it may be better, is not an issue for me with the SE1, which is why I never picked one up!
Touche' I am by no means getting rid of my SE1, I love the razor, and sometimes I want the heft. That being said, it does hold used lather a bit better ;)

I love the razor, and sometimes I want the heft.

The heft is what I like about the SE1, 113 grams with the Atlas handle, I prefer 3" handles. I had the aluminum General and it was good with 3" SS handle, weighed around 90 grams. I liked the EL Jefe blem even more with a 3" SS handle, about 90 grams also, I still have it. The SE1 Atlas hit the nail on the head, it has mojo. The SE1 Kronos is a tad too long and slightly heavier.

For me, the weight differences between the above mentioned razors determined how long BBS will last. Simply using all three back to back, the heavier SE1 lasts the longest. It could be the scalloped safety bar on the SE1, maybe it's stretching my skin better than the others. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I do know I probably wouldn't be using AC razors if it wasn't for the Schick Proline blade.

Congratulation for the new gear, how was your experience with it, I'm using Parker 24C Razor its kinda heavy, how's the wait turns for you?

I've decided I wont do aluminum razors anymore. The anodizing drags on my skin, even with the slickest of lathers. I'm probably going to ditch my Starling v2, even though I love everything else about the razor, because of this. It's just an annoying suction feeling. If it doesn't bring me joy, it's gone :)

rabidus, I prefer 3 inch handles as well, but that dimpled Timeless handle just feels right on the SE1. It balances well. It looks pretty stellar too. I haven't tried any other blades in these except the Prolines. I had some feathers in my feather AC a while back but it's not a good
comparison. I only use those (or a twin in my L) in my injectors. They are night and day different there. I haven't noticed any difference on the duration of the BBS between these two. They are both exceptional razors.

I've never used a parker 24 before so I cannot compare. My expereice sa far, if you couldn't tell, has been superlative.

So I've been using only the Vector for over a week now non stop. It's easily my favorite razor. Honestly, I travel a lot of take a razor for a week or more so I have gotten to know most intimately. The ATT SE1 is second at the moment and then probably injectors, the rest is after that. The thing is, they just do what they do easily and low effort and good results. Does it last as long as an r41? No, but it's still 10-12 hours which is way more than good enough and it's easy. My wife would love it if my razor collection shrunk, but i've learned not to give up other stuff too early. You wind up with regret :)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've decided I wont do aluminum razors anymore. The anodizing drags on my skin, even with the slickest of lathers. I'm probably going to ditch my Starling v2, even though I love everything else about the razor, because of this. It's just an annoying suction feeling.

Is the finish smooth? The pictures I've seen make it look like it's bead blasted. I guess it's a case of ymmv with aluminum. I have the RazoRock Hawk V2 and like how it doesn't drag. I had a Supply Injector and returned it because it tended to grab on my skin too much and I found it way too heavy. It's the only stainless razor I've tried so not sure if the drag is par for the course with stainless or not or if it's more dependent on the finish. I would think the smoother, more polished the better.

There is something to be said for chrome plating in my opinion. I still think it's about the best for glide. There must have been a reason Gillette decided to chrome so many of their DE's over the years. It wasn't like they were trying to make it look more like stainless steel.

Is the finish smooth? The pictures I've seen make it look like it's bead blasted. I guess it's a case of ymmv with aluminum. I have the RazoRock Hawk V2 and like how it doesn't drag. I had a Supply Injector and returned it because it tended to grab on my skin too much and I found it way too heavy. It's the only stainless razor I've tried so not sure if the drag is par for the course with stainless or not or if it's more dependent on the finish. I would think the smoother, more polished the better.

There is something to be said for chrome plating in my opinion. I still think it's about the best for glide. There must have been a reason Gillette decided to chrome so many of their DE's over the years. It wasn't like they were trying to make it look more like stainless steel.
I have the Supply and the RazoRock Black Hawk v2, but I don't feel that either one drags on my skin. I get great shaves from both. The Supply is certainly much heavier, and I find it doesn't provide much audible or tactile feedback, but the results are comparable. I have other stainless razors and have not noticed any drag from them either. I had been looking for a stainless AC razor (because I think I prefer a little more heft than the Hawk), but my most recent addition, an MMOC, has been so outstanding that I may stop there for a while.

Top Bottom