What's new

Just getting started...

Buy a pack of Varsity fountain pens. Why? Because people always want to borrow one and bear down on it like a Bic Clic. Hand them the disposable pen, not the good one.

Ended up getting off the boat for awhile today to pick up some supplies and stopped into an office max...long story short they had a few Cross Bailey fountain pens so I left with one to play with until my I get home and get my hands on the Lamy I ordered. First impressions having never touched a fountain pen before....it writes much smoother and easier than I expected, and trying to write with no pressure is an odd experience. Like trying to learn how to use a de all over again! Haha Also, this one has a medium nib and it’s making me wish I would have ordered the Lamy with a fine. All in all though, I’m excited and pleased! I also picked up a couple different journals to try different papers. I have a Rhodia on the way also, I’ve read that is high quality paper so I can’t wait to play with that also!

B619E825-0884-4535-B6B8-27566BF78BF8.jpeg

Ended up getting off the boat for awhile today to pick up some supplies and stopped into an office max...long story short they had a few Cross Bailey fountain pens so I left with one to play with until my I get home and get my hands on the Lamy I ordered. First impressions having never touched a fountain pen before....it writes much smoother and easier than I expected, and trying to write with no pressure is an odd experience. Like trying to learn how to use a de all over again! Haha Also, this one has a medium nib and it’s making me wish I would have ordered the Lamy with a fine. All in all though, I’m excited and pleased! I also picked up a couple different journals to try different papers. I have a Rhodia on the way also, I’ve read that is high quality paper so I can’t wait to play with that also!

View attachment 936836

Nice FP. Enjoy

Very nice looking pen! So another thing you'll notice, not everyone's "medium" is the same. There is no standard all the companies use to define medium vs fine, etc.. The biggest difference is between Japanese and Western nibs, but even between different Western companies, there will be differences in line thickness. So the Lamy medium could have a finer line than that Cross medium. The other plus side, the Lamy has swappable nibs, so you can pick up just a fine nib for it if you still want a finer line. Paper is definitely something to keep in mind a lot more now, I'm a fan of Rhodia notebooks and planners, and Clairefontaine stationary for letter writing. The only notebooks I have tried that were recommended for fountain pens that I wasn't overly thrilled with was leuchtturm1917 notebooks. The paper in them just didn't hold up as well to fountain pens ink as others in the same price range do.

If you are looking for paper to practice on, get a Composition notebook, but get the ones made in Brazil. The paper is FP friendly, and during back to school sales you can get them dirt cheap!!! You have picked up a couple of good pens, enjoy the journey!!!

Tom

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Very informative thread! Hey, I’m a Nib now! Santa dropped one of these beauties in my stocking yesterday.

3BDAAF7B-4C2E-4126-9BE8-C75A3D9B4BA9.jpeg

845DFA61-824D-4A86-BB39-06701715495A.jpeg

All day I’ve been looking for excuses to write stuff. It is so much fun to use, even with the stocker black ink cartridge. The fine point is great for taking notes and such, but a little narrow for thank you cards. So I’m already thinking I need to get the black Metro with a medium nib. And then, wouldn’t nice dark blue ink look a classier than plain black ink? Or forest green for Christmas? Is this how the Nib AD begins?

All day I’ve been looking for excuses to write stuff. It is so much fun to use, even with the stocker black ink cartridge. The fine point is great for taking notes and such, but a little narrow for thank you cards. So I’m already thinking I need to get the black Metro with a medium nib. And then, wouldn’t nice dark blue ink look a classier than plain black ink? Or forest green for Christmas? Is this how the Nib AD begins?
That all is *exactly* how Nib AD starts. Starting look for excuses to write, combined with wanting different nib sizes with different inks.

Also, welcome aboard!

Nice score in the stocking stuffer!

I just made the switch from black ink to blue/black in my cross and am enjoying the change of color more than I thought I would. I need to find a converter for it...a nice dark blue in this and black in the Lamy. Lol

I tried a Lamy Safari, but I was never quite satisfied with the smoothness of the fine nib. Now, 99% of the time I reach for my handy, black plastic shortie fountain pen, a Kaweco Sport Classic. Fine nib, the best I have ever had, except for my grail pen, a sterling silver Montegrappa Reminiscence.

Top Bottom