What's new

Just found this Gillette fatboy

Hello,

I bought this gillette fatboy yesterday for US$15. I am planning to chrome platting it, not myself of course, so I wanted to disassemble it but from what I've read on this blog the fact that the cap at the bottom is pressed makes it impossible to reassemble it afterwards.

Question: Is there a any place where I can get a new cap or should I bring it to chrome platting without disassemble it?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Doesn't look bad as it is. By the time you finish a plating job you'll have $100 tied up in the thing. :ohmy:

If I were to replate it I'd go for the original nickel finish and skip the chrome.

Last edited:
It looks nice , does look more like a slim , thinner and longer handle and the knurling on the exposure adjuster looks different and flatter than the Fat Boy , I have an E4 Fatboy , I'm curious where you got it , my guess is Ebay - right now there are a ton of FatBoys for sale out there at various price levels - I got mine out there a few years ago and am happy with the shave , it looks in good shape and the gap is pretty equal between numbers - I personally would prefer to buy here and I guess it's best to do a WTB with desired characteristics - the other day someone wanted a mint FB and the post was closed in a couple days - FBs in the FS category don't seem to pop up that often compared to the Bay .

It looks nice , does look more like a slim , thinner and longer handle and the knurling on the exposure adjuster looks different and flatter than the Fat Boy , I have an E4 Fatboy , I'm curious where you got it , my guess is Ebay - right now there are a ton of FatBoys for sale out there at various price levels - I got mine out there a few years ago and am happy with the shave , it looks in good shape and the gap is pretty equal between numbers - I personally would prefer to buy here and I guess it's best to do a WTB with desired characteristics - the other day someone wanted a mint FB and the post was closed in a couple days - FBs in the FS category don't seem to pop up that often compared to the Bay .

I bought it locally, someones was selling it on a facebook group. I am based in Chile.

I recently paid $35 for my Slim, and yours looks in better condition. Great buy! Clean it, shave with it, and then judge whether it is worth putting more money in.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
As mentioned by other esteemed members, give it a spa and then shave with it. I probably
wouldn’t have it replated unless it was an heirloom razor. Use it and enjoy it. Slims are one of Gillette’s best razors IMHO.

Great guy! I also recommend you simply clean it up and enjoy. The original nickel plating is great. It will likely outlast chrome plating!

Top Bottom