What's new

Just found a nice bottle in the back of a closet...

I did a lot of overseas business travel during the late '90's and used to use up whatever currency I had left over when leaving wherever I was, by buying high end booze in the duty free stores. At the time, I was working my way though a self designed course on single malts and went though quite a bit of the stuff. Around 2003 I stopped drinking after a serious illness (not alcohol related) and had stopped traveling on business. We moved to a new house around three years ago and only took unopened bottles with us. I didn't pay much attention to our inventory at the time and some of it was put in the back of a closet. I was looking for something in there earlier today and came across an untouched bottle, in it's container, as follows: Balvenie 1966 Vintage Cask 30 year old, Cask #1906, bottle No.81 of 216. I'm back to imbibing again, so this piqued my interest. Did some searching on line and discovered that these bottles have been auctioned off for as much as 2,600 Pounds. It was bottled in 1997 and I probably bought it shortly after that - really can't remember. Finding it made my day - will save it for a special occasion (hopefully not my wake).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Balvenie 1966 Vintage Cask 30 year old, Cask #1906, bottle No.81 of 216.

Oh no! Terribly bad news for you ... it was recently announced that that cask was actually contaminated with some exceptionally toxic materials ... so toxic that it's illegal to even just pour it down the drain to get rid of it.

On the plus side, I am a certified toxic waste disposal expert, and as a special favour to my B&B brother (you), I am willing to waive my normal disposal fee for you if you send me the unopened bottle for proper disposal.

I did a lot of overseas business travel during the late '90's and used to use up whatever currency I had left over when leaving wherever I was, by buying high end booze in the duty free stores. At the time, I was working my way though a self designed course on single malts and went though quite a bit of the stuff. Around 2003 I stopped drinking after a serious illness (not alcohol related) and had stopped traveling on business. We moved to a new house around three years ago and only took unopened bottles with us. I didn't pay much attention to our inventory at the time and some of it was put in the back of a closet. I was looking for something in there earlier today and came across an untouched bottle, in it's container, as follows: Balvenie 1966 Vintage Cask 30 year old, Cask #1906, bottle No.81 of 216. I'm back to imbibing again, so this piqued my interest. Did some searching on line and discovered that these bottles have been auctioned off for as much as 2,600 Pounds. It was bottled in 1997 and I probably bought it shortly after that - really can't remember. Finding it made my day - will save it for a special occasion (hopefully not my wake).

Please remember that unlike wine, whisky/whiskey does not continue to mature in bottle. Thus, it will be no better today or next year than it was when it was first bottled. The value of the bottle is because this was from a single cask that had been maturing for 30 years. Generally, older casks like that are reserved for addition to blended Scotch. The the barrel character of a 30 year single malt might be too pungent for your taste. For example, I prefer Highland Park 12 yr to their 18 year bottle. The 18 year is too woody for my liking. I cannot imaging what a 30 year Scotch would taste like.

That reminds me of an incident that happened with the company where I worked. I was visiting a friend when he mentioned that a neighbor had just retired from the company I worked at and he had literally hundreds of bottles of expensive liquor and wines and that he was trying to sell them which, of course, was unlawful. I found out the name of the neighbor and knew he was a merchandise buyer. It appears that he received many gifts over the years and stored them in his basement. We took a trip to his house and I saw literally boxes of single malt scotches and other products such as Johnny Walker Black, cognacs, etc. When the retired buyer saw me went into a state of shock.

1593304946683.jpeg

Let’s see the goods!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What a great find!

The only 30-year old Scotch I've ever tried was excellent stuff, but not the sort of thing that I would buy. It just isn't my thing. Well, at least, it's not enough my thing to pay the price they command. I'd gladly have more of offered, mind you, but it would probably go dead in the bottle before I finished it.

If it were my bottle, I'd either give it to a friend who would properly love it (likely with a condition that we both start and finish the bottle together) or let the collectors have at it.

If it were my love, though, well, I'm sure y'all would love seeing the photo in the R.I.P thread!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I went to a church yard sale yesterday and I found 3 bottles of booze for only 1 dollar a piece. And last night I drank some wine from one bottle, and it was really good. The 2nd bottle is champagne , and the 3rd is Creme de Menthe. This isn’t a real find, but it is just as good.

I went to a church yard sale yesterday and I found 3 bottles of booze for only 1 dollar a piece. And last night I drank some wine from one bottle, and it was really good. The 2nd bottle is champagne , and the 3rd is Creme de Menthe. This isn’t a real find, but it is just as good.
Sounds like my kind of church!

Please remember that unlike wine, whisky/whiskey does not continue to mature in bottle. Thus, it will be no better today or next year than it was when it was first bottled. The value of the bottle is because this was from a single cask that had been maturing for 30 years. Generally, older casks like that are reserved for addition to blended Scotch. The the barrel character of a 30 year single malt might be too pungent for your taste. For example, I prefer Highland Park 12 yr to their 18 year bottle. The 18 year is too woody for my liking. I cannot imaging what a 30 year Scotch would taste like.
Not necessarily true, age and oxidation will continue to evolve spirits in glass. It is a different effect, but can be significant. It often rounds off sharp corners and makes things smoother.

Top Bottom