What's new

Just For Men?

Use the stuff marketed to women, the men's stuff is usually semi-permanent and won't work very well if you have alot of grey hair.

I've looked into the chemical compositions of hair color mixes and there is absolutely no masculine vs. feminine hair color types. New formulas (fine oils basically) are milder on your hair and need to be. Healthy hair is better than the right color. Limit the damage and get both.

That's great advice. And shows it depends on if you're coloring an all gray section while keeping hair color OUT of your normal hair, and it also must match.

Otherwise with no complete Gray sections and interleaved/mixed in gray strands, then what you can do is buy one level lighter to your root color and especially it's tone, such as Ash vs. Warm tone. Ex: If you're Light Ash Brown; but now with mixed Grey strands the you'd just grab a Dark Ash Blonde and add some blue drops to skew it cooler, to AA "Dark"-Blond. This would color your (Even) Grey strands perfectly among your Light Ash Browns without looking flat.

Tip: A left only half the directions time "permanent"(Not smelly ammonia type though) hair color is the same as a demi; but will need to be applied twice as often. This would only tone match your regular hair and leave the interleaved Grey's a bit lighter, for more 3D natural effect. Maybe for summer. And maybe even with your Light Ash Brown hair color if you wanted a more temporary darker match. Because you might do it half time for a demi it wouldn't be flat. But remember following the direction always works best *if* you picked the right color and tone. Up to two months before a redo, with less fading. The demi half-time trick may only be good for trials or if you know you want to go back to Grey in a month and gracefully. However just by NOT using the ammonia types it can fade gracefully.

The reason for men not to do smelly ammonia types (long hair uses for Greys) is typical shorter hair. No matter what you do then new Grey roots are not going to have any retained "permanent" color. The ends become all that is "permanent" AKA to the core. Demi goes part way and not through to the core. This is how Demi can mostly leave your regular hairs alone. Just make them cooler or warmer (it's on their out sides). So nothing is really permanent. Everything fades too; because blue falls out first due to being bigger molecules.

Conclusion: If the daily dab-in with a little brush and then wash out temp stuff(correct color and tone) is not for just a tiny bit of your Grey patch or burns coverage then a modern (No ammonia), and so called "permanent" hair color, like inexpensive Revlon can then let you maintain zero-Grey with a super easy 20m or 25m pre-shower application every month, to two months for medium guy length hair. The 1 month simply because of shorter man cuts and side burns and so that it does not vary (fade or warm up) very much at all. And if you stop there will not be a drastic grow out as with ammonia coloring. On top of that ammonia takes LONGER. To me 10m or 20m doesn't matter much for once a month or even two.

You could do a coloring for the purpose of stopping hair color altogether and in an easy step, back to Grey; but you wouldn't have to do even that when avoiding ammonia; but you just SHOULD NOT do any additional permenant coloring until a month, or better two (mainly ladies) has then past. This way you will not wind up with the perfect shade; but unhealth broken and split hair. This is why I write about matching. You want to match out the gate. Unless you like buzz cuts and most women don't; for them.

Yep buy 1 shade lighter and that's over your non-Grey roots. And not what you were 10 years ago; but today(darker with age till Grey). And if you have no color; but natural Gray anywhere then that's when you'll get the box top color. Just remember; you normally can't go buy the box top color you'd just like to try on. Look at the back or sides for the range and in the same light hold it's before picture up to your natural color. The after color is what you will get. NOT if you are not the before shot! Note the different light levels and changes for that box/brand from your before hair and what it shows it will do. And of course the tone match as well. Lastly, that does not work with hair color dye on your head, only your natural color as the BEFORE picture. It's not that you can't use the same box next time. It is will mix with what is there, therefore ALTER the resulting level and tone. At least a bit, or to a lot.

You are therefore never going to mess up. But you can't change color that is dyed-in without best doing a color remover first (The L'Oreal one, per it's directions) and like hair color itself, it is another hit you really should *not* do until two months later. The LAST thing a guy want's is frissy, split end hair color and/or remover damage. That it why people male and female cut their hair shortest and grow it back. They didn't choose wisely. Which for ladies long hair then could be a year or more. A couple months for guys short hair. Now you can aviod all that!

DON'T TEST anything but the simple skin test for a redness allergy. No guessing with hair color. So no regret. It is NOT intuitive, nor new. Even if it is for you.

So, if you know what Grey you need to fix and pick both the color kit (or powder instead, for tiny bits) and your tone, based on the back, not top of the box then you'll be fine. Simply follow all directions. And if your are intense ash cool toned then be sure to also buy ash or cool toned kit *and* then trust me, you will want to add the blue food color drops o make it AA. And if your hair is warm then don't over add warmth to yours. Nutral will work best. If all Grey 100% then the color and tone will be what you buy; with slight varition for your type of Grey or if it's toned cooler by purple shampoo. But remeber that purple shampoo in dye is like a 1/4 hair color hit. Don't do it every day! And do not try to fix hair dye job with it. It's too much cummulative damages. This is why I've told you how to tend to tone, especaily cooler tone and WHILE you color. If you buy and amend(as needed) a match and you are not damaging your hair it other ways then you'll have no problem with healthly looking hair. But remeber; bad health hair is much worse looking than any color. Do it, retaining healthy hair only or just rock your Grey. No worries or fears. It's easy; but just do not just keep permenant coloring without some months in-between. If you never colored before AND your hair health is perfect then you might get away with removing errant (permenant) color with a lot of protrective oil on first befoe doing it; but that require a CORRECT box color over that. So you'll have to use products to make your hair still look healthy.

With significant Grey's then know, that you know, for sure; that you got the right box kit for you and ask your barber or a pro to double check it, for color and tone for correct outcome.

I'm a lot more Grey now and my wifey likes my Grey beard. LOL. But when it was just my side burns (like I had none against my face) then it sure was nice to match them right out! I can still just shave and do that; should I have an interview perhaps. And I would sometimes also mix enough to do my interleaved greys (the rest of my hair) for 1/2 the time; making them 3D, so not flat and matching tone coolness as well. That's easy with the same color; but you could make the larger part cooler (blue drops) as the any complete Grey need a slight touch or warmth to be hair "Ash" and matched. But that's splitting hairs and fine either way. :)

My wife still loving her long hair; that we do Light AA Brown every two months. Oh the diff between 20 and 25 minutes (after in hair) is any all Grey patch you do for five minutes first and by then have the rest in when 20 minutes is leftover. The imdeiate shower with bit of warm water massage a few minutes before luke warm rinse only till clear. And NEVER skip the included conditioner all per easy directions as that's what kind turns it off and is a better rinse agent, closes the hair shaft and makes it silky smooth. Actually feeling better than un treated. Just make sure your shampoo is color safe. It really matters. Conditioning too, for healthy hair looks and also less hair loss from otherwise more pulling. Be very gentle with wet hair. Yeah I used to think conditioner was for girls, LOL. It's science. And the one you pick matters. There's good mens products and good inexpensive alternatives for everyone. It's a good cleaning vs. conditioning in the balance.

It's all about the right inexpensive kit choice. The science and color aspects may be very complicated; but appling it on your head is dead simple and fast. And can last two months before needing another 25m(max) to match them again. And remember patches and interleved Greys are treated differently. And blue drops to make AA as needed, due to limited selection and value prices. They just lean warmer as too warm is less bad than too cool. However too cool is the easiest to fix. Not too dark or too warm. Simply match well and do not leave anything to fix; for your hairs health.

Top Bottom