What's new

Just for fun: Pampered Chef "shaving bowl" "review"

One day I will have something meaningful to say about real shaving gear. Until then:

My current shaving bowl is something I found in my kitchen cupboard. It is a Pampered Chef collapsible silicone/plastic bowl. The white bits are hard plastic, the green section is silicone. It's pretty big for this usage, measuring 8" in diameter at the top, and 4" at the bottom (measured underneath rather than inside the bowl itself). A RazoRock German 37 is included for scale:

tempImageqbnypz.jpg

I like using this for bowl lathering because:
--it is so big I never bump the sides of it with my knuckles or the brush handle
--it has a non-slip ring on the bottom so I barely even have to hold it with my other hand, which is good because I use that to clear the lather out of the brush a few times while lathering to help incorporate all the water equally.
--it is completely silent. Doesn't make any noise if I bump it or move it around while working with it. Bliss.
This makes this bowl way better than the original soup bowl I was using, which was noisy to handle, breakable, and slippery to hold.

Cons of the "Pampered Chef Shave Bowl": it is really big on the counter. And, there is no texture on the surface to help create lather. I tried adding folds of duct tape to see if that would create ridges and didn't like the result. I considered running lines of rubber glue across the bottom, but decided against it. (Shoe Goo dries pretty well and the smell dies away eventually, but that's not a product meant for skin...)

Here's a pic in its collapsed form:
tempImageyVjeWT.jpg

I don't know what this cost, since it was originally a gift.
I enjoy repurposing things like this for hobbies. I wonder if any of you have a similar example?
All that said, I do have my first actual shaving bowl on its way with a Christmas gift order: the silicon shave bowl from Stirling. We will see if it addresses the two shortcomings of this one (size and textured surface). I will follow up with results.
Thanks for reading my first "review!"

For Brits out there Tesco are currently stocking a range of ceramic tableware that's textured with a kind of hammered finish. The cereal bowl looks a good bet at £3.50 a pop. Available in white or pewter grey. The grey version looked like it had a tad more texture to my eyes. I thought about it but I'm a face lather junkie so left it on the shelf!

My salsa bow works well for me, but I am getting a wooden shaving bowl for Xmas / or Birthday (31 Dec).
DSCF2364.JPG

If you need some ridged and texture in the bowl, instead of the tape you could use a soldering iron to lightly dimple the bowl. You could even do cool designs.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
By all means go to the kitchen for a lathering bowl. I use a hammered copper bowl myself. It's a tad small compared to yours, but it does a great job.

Top Bottom