What's new

Just fooling around

Reading this forum got me interested in restoring the brush that my wife gave me. It was the first gift she gave me when we were going out, I guess she was trying to tell something. I have ordered a 20mm Silvertip to restore that brush.

Yesterday was a public holiday the knot has not yet arrived. I was cleaning up my work shop, and came across a small piece of curly maple about the right size for a brush handle. This is not a keeper but I thought I would give making a handle a try. It was done in a drill press with a file, a broken piece of band saw blade and sand paper. I made a mandrel out of a 5/16" bolt with the head cut off. It is drilled out at 22mm, the biggest problem was I took it out of the drill press to look at the shape and was stuck with the shape I had as I couldn't get it to run true after. I used leather die and automotive lacquer for the finish. Although I'm not happy with the shape, it just isn't refined, I think a handle can be made with pretty simple tools. I have about an hour and a half into it.

This was fun but I better quit now, it could easily become an AD.

Nice work and thanks for answering my question.

I just got a drill press (lathes are too much for me) and have been fooling around learning how to make pens.
Ultimately I wanted to try a brush handle but had no idea how to go about shaping it, other than sanding till my hands fell off. :001_smile
I never thought about using a file. DOH

Top Bottom