What's new

Just finished my first straight shave

It was what I expected: terrible.

I used a Friedr Baurmann & Söhne 6/8. I bought it from Ambrose, who was nice enough to hone it on several stones and answer all my questions.

I did not cut myself nor did I see any blood, so I was successful in that area. I did, however, get irritation under my chin and on my lip. I could not shave my upper lip to save my life.

I did not get a close shave, as is to be expected. I did two WTG passes.

I'll go back and read over Joel's tutorials and watch his video on mantic59's YouTube channel. My only question is this: to those of you who where glasses, how do you stretch your skin on your cheeks? My glasses are in the way and taking them off is not an option.

I really am looking forward to my next shave. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until my TM strop gets here :frown:

How were you at shaving your cheeks? The cheek area is the easiest to shave. You should do that well before you move on to other parts of your face. The chin area and upper lip are particularly difficult for most people. Don't worry shaving them perfectly for now.

The shaves get better with time, I shaved with this one before I sent it off. I re stropped and disinfected it first of course.

For checks make weird faces and pull the skin or hair near the side burn with the opposite hand.

For me the mustache and chin area are the hardest still.

I actually have trouble mainly with my neck. It's just not shaped for shaving I guess... I find that if you shave diagonally upward from the corner of your moth to your nose you can shave in a virtually straight line for most of your mustache area without having to alter you stroke--just a thought. For the chin, if you pull your jaw in as far as you can (your chin should end up like a double chin if you go far enough, thus lowering your chin) and then grab your neck right below it and pull down, shave where you can, then push your chin out and pull your lower lip in (thus tightening your chin) you can shave that entire area straight without having to go around the curve of your chin. I'm sorry if that was worded in a really confusing manner...:tongue_sm

<to those of you who where glasses, how do you stretch your skin on your cheeks? My glasses are in the way and taking them off is not an option.>

Taking off glasses would not be an option for me either. I never stretch my skin with my fingers. To the extent I need to stretch my skin, I tilt my head and make faces. I have a goatee so I cannot help you on above the lip and the chin, but I do great on cheeks and neck.

Sounds like you did great for the first str8t shave. To some extent your skin adapts for any new shaving method.

You could probably get another shave or two out of a newly honed razor without stropping. What do you think, Ambrose? Or you could strop it, gently, on the back of a belt or a piece of news print or something.

Is it normal that after my two WTG passes it looks almost as I did not shave?

When I get my strop, which side should I use first and which should I use second? I'm getting a TM latigo/cotton strop.

Thanks.

Is it normal that after my two WTG passes it looks almost as I did not shave?

When I get my strop, which side should I use first and which should I use second? I'm getting a TM latigo/cotton strop.

Thanks.
You need to adjust your technique. Unless you have a thick beard and a shadow is normal for you, your face should not look like that.

It's always cotton then leather.

My only question is this: to those of you who where glasses, how do you stretch your skin on your cheeks? My glasses are in the way and taking them off is not an option.

Try reaching your free hand over the top of your head and pulling the skin right above your sideburns up while opening your mouth.

Your shaves will get better. Just hang in there.

<Is it normal that after my two WTG passes it looks almost as I did not shave? >

Well, "first time" with a straight, and "almost" like you did not shave. That is probably within a standard deviation of "normal." I think the mistake I made when starting out was to go back over the same spots too many times, which was irritating. And I think a natural inclination if you think you are not getting results is to "press down harder," when you do not really want to "press down" at all. You got through your first shave with no blood and its sound like not too much irritation and it sounds like you shaved at least some whiskers. You know your razor is good because you got it from Ambrose.

Your technique will naturally improve, and I suspect your technique is already better than most. You are much better off with a shave that is not so close than with a closer shave and a roughed up face. I find that when in doubt going slower and lighter rather than faster and harder is nearly always the way to go. You sound like you are on the right track and asking the right questions to me.

Very nice strop, BTW. Cotton side first as TstebinsB said, although I do not know that it is necessary to bother with the cotton side at all. Take stropping slow and concentrate, too. You do not want to hurt that beautiful strop. I have no idea of why it would be easy to do, but it sure is, to in mid stroking go the wrong way on a strop when you are starting out and that is not a good thing on a strop as nice as yours!

Very nice strop, BTW. Cotton side first as TstebinsB said, although I do not know that it is necessary to bother with the cotton side at all. Take stropping slow and concentrate, too. You do not want to hurt that beautiful strop. I have no idea of why it would be easy to do, but it sure is, to in mid stroking go the wrong way on a strop when you are starting out and that is not a good thing on a strop as nice as yours!

Good points. I made sure to get a practice strop for $7 more. I'll be using that until I get my technique down.

Top Bottom