What's new

Just finished my first SR shave.

As the title says, I just finished my first SR shave and it really wasn't too bad.

I didn't do much more prep than I normally do with my DE's. All I do is splash hot water on my face, tonight I just did it a little longer. I lathered up the soap and only applied it to one side because I read somewhere that the other side might dry out, and it probably would have.

I chose the Erik Anton Berg because I just like the way it looks.

I started out on my right cheek, it felt very awkward and it was tugging quite a bit, so I adjusted the angle and it got better. I definitely need to practice and watch some more videos.

When I finished, it felt like I still had about a day's growth left, I started with about a weeks worth, but I had no blood or irritation so overall I would consider it not bad for my first shave.

I finished it off with a re-branded Hoffritz slant that I picked up today.

20190201_220126.jpg

:a14:I like the way it looks to. It's called a "shoulderless" design and are the most beautiful, graceful, type to my eyes. Easier to hone as well.

Congratulations on your first. :a4:

Thanks guys. The E A Berg was my first straight razor, although I've picked up a few since, I think it will always be one of my favorites.

I'm happy that it went as well as it did, I was a little apprehensive. The road ahead for me may be a little bumpier than most because I'm getting arthritis in my hands but that's not going to stop me. I'm always up for a challenge.

The big thing from the very beginning (and I wish someone had told me) is slicing or scything strokes. Call it a sliding cut maybe. Figure it out really early and you find that you get closer, more comfortable shaves, and your edge lasts much longer. Sounds like you'll get cut, but no. Less pressure, shallow angle. And use both hands. I resisted. Don't.

The big thing from the very beginning (and I wish someone had told me) is slicing or scything strokes. Call it a sliding cut maybe. Figure it out really early and you find that you get closer, more comfortable shaves, and your edge lasts much longer. Sounds like you'll get cut, but no. Less pressure, shallow angle. And use both hands. I resisted. Don't.

Ok thanks.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well you certainly picked a classy razor to start with and an excellent soap to boot. Congratulations on a great start. Some people are naturals at straight shaving.

Well done, your a better man than I am.

Ha! I don't know about that .

Well you certainly picked a classy razor to start with and an excellent soap to boot. Congratulations on a great start. Some people are naturals at straight shaving.

Thanks, for me it's the tools that make it interesting.

Well, I don't think I'm a natural, but it is getting better.

Thanks for the support Gentlemen, it really helps me stay focused.

Tonight I had my third shave which was better than my second and that was better than my first. So I believe I'm going in the right direction and still no blood or irritation. I'm still using one of my DEs to finish with, I expect I will for a while. Here's a picture of my second shave, I haven't taken a picture of tonight's yet.

20190203_170541.jpg

Thanks for the support Gentlemen, it really helps me stay focused.

Tonight I had my third shave which was better than my second and that was better than my first. So I believe I'm going in the right direction and still no blood or irritation. I'm still using one of my DEs to finish with, I expect I will for a while. Here's a picture of my second shave, I haven't taken a picture of tonight's yet.

View attachment 950623
The DE looks like a Barbasol Floating Head. If so, one that's in amazing condition.

Here's shave 4. Getting better.
2019-02-12 19.45.38.jpg

And here's #5 from last night. Best shave so far, I completed one pass WTG and one ATG (first time) with the SE and one pass ATG with the DE just to clean up a few missed spots. Closest shave yet and still no blood or irritation. Why did I wait so long to try this?
2019-02-12 19.58.57.jpg

Top Bottom