What's new

Just discovered this DE

Hello everyone,

I just found this old DE in my grandfathers things. Can anyone identify and help me out with it ? Is it any good ? Its the 2nd DE i have, used a Gillete Sterling till date

Attachments

• $DSC_0853.jpg
    $DSC_0853.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 343
  • $DSC_0855.jpg
    $DSC_0855.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 342
  • $DSC_0857.jpg
    $DSC_0857.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 343
  • $DSC_0847_2.jpg
    $DSC_0847_2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
That was my very first razor 40 years ago. I played with the numbers until the razor broke. I have just returned to a double-edge razor last month. By the way, it is some kind of Gillette. My daddy also used it.

Love and miss that razor. IMO, the short handle version is the best. Clean it up and show it off!

I am working on the cleaning part :D, cant seem to figure out what to do about it, the brown sludge doesnt come off easily :(

I found one in an antique store in its case for 14. I love that razor. Almost mint after I cleaned it. Felt weird the first time using it. It was like holding a hairbrush!

I will try that sir, do you think an ultrasonic cleaner is a good option, we use it at the hospital to clean instruments after surgery. Do you think i should try it for this purpose ?

I'm not sure, I have no experience with that. Medical instruments are normally stainless steel not plated correct? Try the soak first.

on second thought, I think there are replaters who use the ultrasonic method.

Last edited:
alright, shall try it tonight, thanks a lot.

BTW, medical instruments arent always stainless steel, surgical steel is a completely different alloy :)

The way I clean a razor when I get one like this, is to put a little dish soap in a tall glass, then fill it with very hot tap water, then open the silo doors and place the razor head first into the glass, and let it soak at least 1/2 hour. Then take an old toothbrush and a little plain white toothpaste and scrub the head and body softly but vigorously, rinse and repeat till it is as clean as it can get. After all that I polish the silo doors with mothers metal polish, and then sanitize it in alcohol or barbacide. Good luck sir and show us some pictures when it is done!

Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions. They are highly appreciated. Anyways, i couldnt find scrubbing bubbles in India, so i just used some detergent and a toothbrush. Has got most of the scum out, but i still havent been able to polish it to perfection. Also my house was repainted recently, so its got a bit of paint on the handle.

will it be ok to use paint remover on the handle ??

NO!!!! It will turn the handle grey. It would be much better to continue to soak it, maybe peel the paint off.

i would be carefull with the handle, i have one of these razors and some kind of cleaning agent was used on it, parts of the handle are kind of silver now, some hot water and washing up liquid would be the best bet, then polish the head with mass or peek polish, these are the only polish i know that dont damage the nickel plate on razors.$razor 2 012.jpg

Top Bottom