What's new

Just discovered soap... Goodbye cream

I have just received a bowl of Penhaligon's BB soap via Vintage Blades and with help from copperhead :)thumbup1:).

I had my first shave this morning using soap and what a product to start with. The lather was sensational, thick and slick and smooth and all those other yummy superlatives you all use to describe top class lather. The resulting shave was also amazing.

I also bought a puck of Jim's own soap from VB (as suggested by copperhead :thumbup:). I whipped up a couple of batches of lather just to test it and guess what? The lather was also amazingly thick and luxurious.

Both soaps gave me much better lather results than any of the creams that I have tried (TOBS, T&H, Penhaligons etc). So I'm either making a dog's breakfast out of the creams or I have a whole pile of cream that I will never use again because I'm a soap convert.

I find I can get a good lather using cream but it is not a dense or substantial as the soap lather. If I use more cream I just get more lighter, less dense lather. I also found the soap lather is slicker and it lubricates the razor head better than the cream lather.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave with BB :biggrin:

Cheers

... So I'm either making a dog's breakfast out of the creams or I have a whole pile of cream that I will never use again because I'm a soap convert.

I find I can get a good lather using cream but it is not a dense or substantial as the soap lather. If I use more cream I just get more lighter, less dense lather. I also found the soap lather is slicker and it lubricates the razor head better than the cream lather.

Cheers

well... unless you'd like to send all of your creams to me...

hang on to 'em for awhile.

I became a soap-only convert a few months ago (Pen's BB was the major culprit, I admit. Wait till you getcherself some English Fern!). And for no good reason (other than I felt sorry for my poor neglected creams) I pulled out a tube of Coate's Superior Rose SC yesterday - it was a fantastic shave! Piles of lather... soft, creamy, wonderful.... To continue the experiment, I went into my tub of Fraser's Polar Ice SC today. A wonderful shave!

I am commited to diversity in my shaving products (and my ADs). Soap. Cream. Super-lather. There is room in my den for all of it!

['Course, the offer is still open - do send me your cast-off creams. I'll even pay postage!]

So I'm either making a dog's breakfast out of the creams or I have a whole pile of cream that I will never use again because I'm a soap convert.

Same happened to me and I tried to use up what I had but most creams ended in the bin eventually. Still have some in my travel bag but that will be replaced by the humble palmolive classic shave stick the next time....

I started out as a cream user but switched to soaps because I found many of the creams I used dried my skin. I still keep a few around, TOBS Avocado for one, as it gives an excellent shave.

Of course, once you shave with BB or EF (or any other fine soap) you are done for. :biggrin:

Same thing happened to me when I picked up a sampler pack from Colleen at TGQ...Desert Ironwood...mmmm

Then, I bought Penhaligon's BB...and yeah, the cream days were over!

That's funny. I've had just the opposite experience. I used soaps exclusively for 20yrs, then tried a cream by CF. I don't use soaps anymore.

Doc.

My poor creams get no attention anymore. Lately (the past two years) I've use soaps 99% of the time... I don't know what it is, but I just like them better.

Doc
I was wondering why? (I have a sample of CF Lime that I will try next week.)

The reason I ask is that I can't get the same lovely thick lather from a cream as I can from a soap. Now I don't have 20 yrs at this more like 20 weeks so I would appreciate your words of wisdom :thumbup1:

Cheers

That's funny. I've had just the opposite experience. I used soaps exclusively for 20yrs, then tried a cream by CF. I don't use soaps anymore.

Doc.

Last edited:
I also converted to soaps b/c I have dry, sensitive skin, and soaps in general seem to work best for me. I don't dry out with a quality soap. Sometimes I don't even need a post-shave treatment (balm or aftershave).

-Andy

Top Bottom