What's new

Just Discovered My Favorite Safety Razor Is Older Than I Am

All my safety razors belonged to my Dad first. They're all Gillettes. The older Super Speed comes from 1948 to 1950. It has the notched center bar. But the one I prefer is from 1967...or so I thought. I double checked today. It has a K, so it's from 1965. So I wasn't one when it was made, I wasn't even a thought, yet (except in the mind of God...He knows all). So my favorite of the bunch is older than I am. (I also have from Dad two adjustables that I have not dated and a Gem SE.)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All my safety razors belonged to my Dad first. They're all Gillettes. The older Super Speed comes from 1948 to 1950. It has the notched center bar. But the one I prefer is from 1967...or so I thought. I double checked today. It has a K, so it's from 1965. So I wasn't one when it was made, I wasn't even a thought, yet (except in the mind of God...He knows all). So my favorite of the bunch is older than I am. (I also have from Dad two adjustables that I have not dated and a Gem SE.)
This is SUCH a blessing my friend! I wish I had some of my dad's stuff!

The Gillette adjustable, either slim or fatboy, were engineering marvels for their time, and IMHO, have not been improved upon after half a century. PROOF: many are still in use, such as my 1967 Slim adjustable. I started double edge shaving with that model in 1967, came back to it recently. Nothing better, though Edwin Jaegger and Merkur, are excellent alternatives. Technique is of primary importance. No need for plastic throw-aways. Just saying.....

Nice. I'm not sure how I stumbled into the safety razor arena as neither my dad or grandpa used them. I wish they had so I could have had a hand-me-down or two. They both used cartridge razors....oh well. Glad you found a favorite razor. The older Gillettes are fantastic. I have a few pre war Techs and a couple of Super Speeds that I like and use on occasion.

Congrats! You are very lucky to have your dad's gear. I remember my dad using DE´s but on the recent years he mainly used carts, so those DE´s were gone for good. But recently, going through my late dad´s stuff, I found a Trac II travel razor, made in Italy by Tonal, I believe he stopped using it when the Trac II carts dissappeared from the supermarkets. After that I found a non travel handle on the bay and got it to complement. It´s a very special thing to use that shaving gear.

IMG_20210429_132428_155.jpg

Cheers

Vintage Gillette's are great razors. I wish I had my Dad's, but sadly it's long gone.

I have a Tech, a flare tip SS (1954 TV Special), a 1951-52 black tip SS, a 1965 Slim Adjustable, and a 1959 Fatboy.

I had a couple of Fat Boys and a Slim (K). Still have and use the Slim. I prefer the looks and heft of the Fat Boy, but the Slim shaved better for me. My best shaving vintage Gillette is a NEW long comb.

So cool to have your Dad's stuff! My Dad hated everything about DE shaving and thought carts and canned foam were the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's pretty sure he tossed his DE razors in the garbage.

I have one DE that's older than me - a '65 Schick Krona - and one that was made in my birth year and quarter - a T2 Gillette Black Handle Super Speed.

My earliest memory of my father shaving (I must have been around 3 years old) was with a Fatboy. I remember admiring it in the medicine cabinet, it looked so purposeful and a bit mysterious, but it wasn't until recent years that I identified it as a Fatboy.

The Gillette adjustable, either slim or fatboy, were engineering marvels for their time, and IMHO, have not been improved upon after half a century. PROOF: many are still in use, such as my 1967 Slim adjustable.....

I haven't used the adjustables, yet.

Great post, thanks for sharing! As others have shared, it's so good having some of your dad's gear, whether you remember it, or not. Congratulations!

And yes, vintage Gillette's are terrific!

My two regular-size Techs are both postwars, probably from before my date of appearance on the world's stage. And the NEW Short Comb is older still, 1930s.

Top Bottom