What's new

Just curious: do you care about “skin food”?

Is skin food necessary in your splash

• Yes, imperative

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Not really

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I like both, it just depends

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters
i guess I enjoy aftershaves with extra ingredients that nourish skin, but my skin is pretty oily, so I’m fine with old school normal splashes.

It seems to be a major deal breaker for some people.

What do you think?

What's your definition of skin food?
Additives, presumably natural, over and above/in addition to alcohol, water, and fragrance, that potentially nourish and/or condition skin.

Examples: witch hazel, calendula flower, allantoin, vitamins, oils, etc.

Additives, presumably natural, over and above/in addition to alcohol, water, and fragrance, that potentially nourish and/or condition skin.

Examples: witch hazel, calendula flower, allantoin, vitamins, oils, etc.
My second favourite AS is Speick, which is full of natural additives. Tonight I used a classic - Blue Stratos, but I later applied some Nivea 2 phase as Blue Stratos is probably just fragrance and alcohol. So I am definitely in favour of skin food.

Yes on skin food. I can’t see buying water and alcohol plus scent.

Really like Lucky Tiger with a bit of alcohol added to it.

I like the shea butter in Proraso Red AS.
You can just tell It's there after it dries, but it doesn't feel gooey or greasy like some balms.

Reuzel AS has what they call its "T-4 Tonic Blend":
Witch Hazel Extract: Soothes tender skin
Nettle Leaf Extract: Natural astringent
Rosemary Extract: Moisturizing
Horsetail Root Extract: Antioxidant​

"Antioxidant"? Really? I'm not convinced that the outside of my skin can benefit from an antioxidant. Unless they means it prevents rust. Or spontaneous combustion. That must be A Good Thing, right?
I don't know if it all adds up to a species of snake oil, but it feels pretty good, and the scent is tied for first place (with Proraso Red) as my favourite. It has less alcohol than usual too.

Even so, I'd splash on a bit of industrial cleaning solvent and/or rocket fuel, if it smelled nice for a while.

i guess I enjoy aftershaves with extra ingredients that nourish skin, but my skin is pretty oily, so I’m fine with old school normal splashes.

It seems to be a major deal breaker for some people.

What do you think?

From what I've read, AS that strips oils from the skin makes it produce more to compensate. I enjoy the old school experience of mentholated alcoholic AS, but there's only harm to the skin. Nothing good comes of it.

I like having goodies in my AS, yet I also like Fine products. It all really depends on how the AS actually feels on my skin.

I find when I use Geo F Trumper Skin Food after shaving, the cologne doesn't sting anywhere near as much as if I omit that, so I think it's a good thing for my skin.

I use Witch Hazel instead of after shave so..."yes" :)
Try doing a 50/50 mix of your aftershave and witch hazel in a travel bottle. You end up with healthy skin and smell nice. Plus you still have money in your pocket.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I'm over paying 20 bucks for water, alcohol, glycerin, and a fleeting scent. Put some quality ingredients
in there and let me feel like I'm getting some value for my money.

Summer, cheap splash. I don’t rebuy splashes with too much of a good thing that leave my skin sticky. When it’s really cold and I spend a lot of time outside I use a balm occasionally.

The only additive that seems to really mess with me is alum. I avoid it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me just AS unless it's winter and dry air time or if I have a tough shave and feel my skin needs some help. If I do use something it will just be a balm like AFTA, Nivea, Williams 5-1, Duke Cannon. I utterly refuse to call it skin f**d. Greatly dislike that term.

For me just AS unless it's winter and dry air time or if I have a tough shave and feel my skin needs some help. If I do use something it will just be a balm like AFTA, Nivea, Williams 5-1, Duke Cannon. I utterly refuse to call it skin f**d. Greatly dislike that term.
I like your style. I don’t like the term either. And it seems to be universally accepted/adopted.

I picked No because I think skin food is a weird, creepy term. I probably like whatever it is but wouldn't admit it. When I opened the thread "Goodbye Horses" started playing, and a voice said to put the lotion in the basket.

I picked No because I think skin food is a weird, creepy term. I probably like whatever it is but wouldn't admit it. When I opened the thread "Goodbye Horses" started playing, and a voice said to put the lotion in the basket.

I’m flying flying flying over you!!! Ooooh ah oooh!!

Top Bottom