What's new

Just checking in...

So, I've posted a few times in the past few months to share my experiences (code word for mistakes) over the last nine months of DE shaving. Somewhere along the way, I thought it would be a grand idea to make a custom shave soap by mixing a puck of Williams and some normal goat's milk soap. (Yep, shredded them both down, melted them in a double boiler, mixed 'em together and put it in a bowl). Short story - not a good idea. For some reason, it would irritate the begeezes out of my skin. I would have to wait 2 to 3 days for my skin to settle down so I could shave again. I chalked it up to the Derby razors. Unfortunately for me, I didn't figure out the problem until I tired of using the "soap" and switched to an herbal cream (for the first pass) and plain Williams puck (2nd pass). Now, there's absolutely zero irritation and I get a nice smooth shave with the Derby's.

Did both soaps work well for you by themselves? It's possible you messed them up when you tried melting them. Tallow soaps don't take too kindly to melting. Grating and mixing alone works very well for combining soaps.

I admire your ambition! It is cool to hear from those who like to experiment and try things. Keep it up, brother!

Did both soaps work well for you by themselves? It's possible you messed them up when you tried melting them. Tallow soaps don't take too kindly to melting. Grating and mixing alone works very well for combining soaps.
Actually, Williams worked well before and works well now (I had an extra puck). The other was just a regular bar of goat's milk soap that I had never used before as a shaving soap. Now that spring is here, I'm hoping to have a few extra bucks to try a puck of Mamma Bear, one of the 3 T's, or another well respected shave soap just to know the difference. I'll keep experimenting, it's just in my nature. I've even thought of trying to cook up my own aftershave splash/soother, especially after reading about a Bay Rum recipe somewhere on here. But....that might be a bit to ambitious.

I like mixing and experimenting too. I've combined a few different soaps using various methods. The only soap I've dared to try to melt is Van Der Hagen (VDH).

Top Bottom