What's new

Just bought today...

Hello,

I have been debating over which 1st good razor to buy. Currently only have a gold dollar.

After considering several things that I have read, this is what I decided on. First off, I wanted a German razor, so I narrowed my search to Boker, Dovo, and finally Aust. I really wanted the boker elite carbon 3.0. But, after doing a lot of reading, it seems that it's partular grind enables the blade to flex while shaving. Research showed me that it might not be the best shave for heavy stubble. My old barber once told me that shaving my type of beard is like shaving nails off of concrete!

Then I looked more into the dovo Bismark. The are several positive, yet also many negative reviews. So, I looked into Ralph Aust. It seems they, at least the one I chose within my budget, may work for me.

I would like your opinions on this razor.

URL unfurl="true"]https://maggardrazors.com/account/orders/710939ff719da5c5882b5492[/URL]

I, during my research, often found the term "shoulderless" or something like that. I didn't really know what that meant, and how it affects, well, everything, so I avoided those.

Please give me your opinions on the one I selected. Yes, went with Maggard's as well, as I believe his reputation for providing shave ready razors speaks for itself.

I am very interested to know the plusses and minuses of the one I selected.

Fire away, and give me your honest thoughts on this purchase.

Thanks,

Viper

You have linked to a page that requires a login. Presumably it is your wishlist? You might want to screenshot it, or just list your selection.

On second thoughts, you have already purchased it. In which case, I'd suggest just shaving with it...

I haver a Ralf Aust and I like it. The workmanship and steel are good. The way it shaves is up to you.
Agreed. Ralf Aust is a great pick. Order directly from Ralf Aust and you can get it customized.
And his razors come shave ready. Just strop 'em and go. But it appears that have already bought
a razor so, maybe you can make a Ralf Aust your third one...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I only have one Ralf Aust (reviewed here) and it is a fine shaver. This model may be beyond your budget. All Ralf Aust SR's are made from the same steel and mostly come save-ready, but not always.

IMG_20211102_124955.jpg
Ralf measures his SR's from the top of the spine wear, not the top of the spine. My 6/8 is actually very close to a 7/8.

Generally I prefer SR's with a stabiliser (like my RA) although my most favoured SR, a Gold Dollar W59, is without stabiliser. The theory behind having a stabiliser is to give some extra stiffness to the blade while shaving. Due to the position of a stabiliser, this extra stiffness is most pronounced at the heel and gets less as you approach the toe.

You done good, I believe. The toe on these aren't fully sharpened. Did you specify which colour horn you wanted?

Was not able, from what I could see, to select a horn color. It noted that all horn scales are a bit different though... I am hoping it is dark, but, I am most concerned about the shave.

Since I bought from Maggard's, won't the entire edge be professionally honed? I was not aware that the toe is not completely sharpened. Can someone make some suggestions if this is the case?

Also, bought a leather strop from sharpeningsupplies.com. Wanted to start off right.

I am concerned though about the toe not being fully sharpened. If this is the case, what supplies should I get to make it so. I have been planning on getting the Naniwa 12K as my first stone.

Also, I have read that if you get a new razor that is properly honed, you should really never have to use anything but a strop. Can someone please comment on this? Of course there are cases where you chip the edge, etc, but barring that, is the information I have read correct?

Please inform me on these issues please.

Thanks,
Viper

Also, I have a God Dollar model I forget as I cannot find the receipt at this moment. I've been using that, and practicing my technique, which is something I will address in a moment.

I have noticed that, even after stropping on a 4 sided diamond pasted leather strop, that it just isn't sharp enough for me. Let me explain. I have no problem going wtg, but, due to my technique, or lack thereof, I am unable to shave xtg, as I don't seem to be able to make my skin flat enough for that. Advice here would be helpful. So, after wtg, I shave atg, and the razor struggles, and I have to push much harder than I think I should have to. I've even stropped with crox, then the 4 sided diamond pasted strop, and then on plain leather. Just doesn't seem sharp enough for me, or, is it normal for how I am doing this (skipping the xtg step) for the razor to have trouble atg? Any help/advice here appreciated.

I am attaching a pic of the Gold Dollar I have. If someone knows the model number, please let me know. Also, like an a**, I forget from whom I bought it from, though it was a razor website, and not ebay or anything like that.

Any advice from anybody on technique, or sharpness, or further equipment to purchase, please let me know.

Thanks,
Viper

Attachments

• GoldDollar.jpg
    GoldDollar.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 5
Actually, just looked for pics of it online, and it seems to be labeled Beginner Straight Razor, model 208.

EDIT: Vast difference in cost compared to the Ralf Aust I just purchased.

Balsa Strop! Went down the same rabbit hole you are doing now. Set Bevel with 1k, then went 3k, 6k, & 12K stones. Leather stropped, with and without paste. I would get an ok shave. Nothing great. Reading here lead me to Balsa Strop with diamond paste. Hobby Lobby has some Balsa wood to make strops, call first Michaels was out. Made strops this morning 14k, 50k, and 100k diamond paste balsa strops. I tried it on my DIXIE MANUFACTURING - Union City, GA Blue Steel was the first to get the balsa strops before morning shave. Great shave! Spent some time stropping the other razors. Wish i had done that 2 weeks ago, but was way to excited about getting into straight razors.

Was not able, from what I could see, to select a horn color. It noted that all horn scales are a bit different though... I am hoping it is dark, but, I am most concerned about the shave.

Since I bought from Maggard's, won't the entire edge be professionally honed? I was not aware that the toe is not completely sharpened. Can someone make some suggestions if this is the case?

Also, bought a leather strop from sharpeningsupplies.com. Wanted to start off right.

I am concerned though about the toe not being fully sharpened. If this is the case, what supplies should I get to make it so. I have been planning on getting the Naniwa 12K as my first stone.

Also, I have read that if you get a new razor that is properly honed, you should really never have to use anything but a strop. Can someone please comment on this? Of course there are cases where you chip the edge, etc, but barring that, is the information I have read correct?

Please inform me on these issues please.

Thanks,
Viper
I am sorry to alarm you, this is pretty recent information from somebody who just bought one of these. There is a 45 degree section ground into the toe that isn't sharpened. I asked the poster to confirm this. I don't think you would want that sharpened.

On some of the listings, Maggards says to contact them if you have a preference for horn colour. I would contact them immediately about all your questions, they are very responsive.

Thank you for the info. Can you explain to me the difference between a diamond pasted leather strop, and a diamond pasted balsa strop? What does the balsa do that makes it better/more effective than a pasted leather strop? I am using 3 micron, 1 micron, .5 micron, and .25 micron diamond pastes. Will those be sufficient if I switched to
I am sorry to alarm you, this is pretty recent information from somebody who just bought one of these. There is a 45 degree section ground into the toe that isn't sharpened. I asked the poster to confirm this. I don't think you would want that sharpened.

On some of the listings, Maggards says to contact them if you have a preference for horn colour. I would contact them immediately about all your questions, they are very responsive.
I am having trouble visualizing what actually the part of the razor is 45 degreesw ground into the toe. The reason I bought that style of blade, as opposed to rounded toe, is that I have been having difficulty defining the line between my cheek and mustache. I was thinking that a squared off toe would make that easier.

EDIT: Maggard's already shipped the razor. So, I guess I will have to wait and see.

It's a square point, but it's slightly rounded off right at the point. It will be plenty precise but you'll be less likely to stab your ear with it.
Thank you. I am very careful actually. Go very slowly around the ears. Precision for the mustache line is what I am after.

I am having trouble visualizing what actually the part of the razor is 45 degreesw ground into the toe. The reason I bought that style of blade, as opposed to rounded toe, is that I have been having difficulty defining the line between my cheek and mustache. I was thinking that a squared off toe would make that easier.
There is a thread called "just ordered an Aust," will add it if I can find it. Don't worry, the 45 is only taking the point out of the toe. It's only moves the edge a bevel width back from the tip.

Edit: I shave my upper lip under my moustache, even with a rounded tip it's no problem.

Last edited:
Yes.
Beautiful, but maybe next. Just a little out of my budget right now.

Also, I wanted to add something. I just finished reading Slash's Pasted Balsa tutorial. I will give this a try. I must admit I made a horrendous mistake with my 4 sided leather strop. I actually SLATHERED a coating of the pastes on the leather! Stupid me.

I see from the balsa strop guide, you should use a tiny amount, and even thin it out with alcohol based spray sanitizer if you wish.

My "leather strop" literally is coated with paste, probably enough for pasting balsa 100 times or more.

Well, live and learn...

Top Bottom