What's new

Just bought today...

Just wanted to add, looked at all of the Boker's on Maggard's, and, tbh, the only one I could afford is the carbon elite. These things are expensive, at least to me...

If you are serious, you might want to look at European options right now and get an order in. I hate to tell you how much cheaper German razors are right now direct from Germany. You may have to do some leg work to find what you want though...

I wasn't going to wade into the balsa strop part, but as for your leather strop with paste in it, you can put a hard backer behind it while stropping. Probably something harder than balsa since the leather has some give like the balsa itself.

I was only intending to link to one that I bought that was a square toe. The Aust and other Boker I got were equally well honed but happened to be round points.

If you are serious, you might want to look at European options right now and get an order in. I hate to tell you how much cheaper German razors are right now direct from Germany. You may have to do some leg work to find what you want though...

I wasn't going to wade into the balsa strop part, but as for your leather strop with paste in it, you can put a hard backer behind it while stropping. Probably something harder than balsa since the leather has some give like the balsa itself.
Hey, thanks for the advice. I believe I found a site that does this. I'll attach a pic of what I bought. The price was right...

Hey congratulations, but I had found you several Bokers for $200 if you had asked before ordering! :devil:

You can never too many razors though…

There are several 6/8 at theinvisibleedge.co.uk, one wood two carbon that are $200. Don't know about other sizes, maybe you can score a big 7/8"!

There are several 6/8 at theinvisibleedge.co.uk, one wood two carbon that are $200. Don't know about other sizes, maybe you can score a big 7/8"!
Thank You, site has been bookmarked!

Since I don't have the money for this particular one right now, but hopefully may have in the future, here is what I would really like!

Thanks again,
Viper

EDIT: I see the link takes you to the page of all Damascus Razors. I would like the very first one listed;

BOKER DAMASCUS RAZOR WITH CURLY BIRCH SCALES​

Unfortunately, the cost may prove prohibitive any time in my lifetime! But, one can dream...

You might also consider this

There was, last week, a damascus, but I can't find it. The Euro pricing is a bit confusing, but you can basically consider those prices as dollars total. None of those are over $200 including shipping.

Ah Koraat! They have a damascus worth a look at least.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What you ordered will be great! It is common practice to mute the toe on square point razors but not universal. Usually one does mute the tip for a beginner. That toe will getcha really bad in a lapse of concentration. A muted toe, properly done, will not negatively effect your shave.

You would have been delighted with the Bismarck, too. My favorite "good" razor of recent manufacture.

Your leather strop with paste is not a new idea. Pasted leather strops have been around for a hundred years, and for a hundred years they have been delivering so-so results, but an improvement over really crude edges and so until a generation or so ago, many shavers were delighted with pasted leather edges. Beat the crap out of the old barber hone or the 8k Norton. However, compared to the current state of the art, pretty sucky. A year or so ago I made a youtube where I saved up a bunch of whiskers and zooped them right off in a single pass, with the crudest Gold Dollar model, the 66, finished with pasted balsa. It's around somewhere, I have posted it on the board a bunch of times. The balsa is just magic, if you prep it correctly and use it correctly. Correctly meaning according to The Method in every detail, with zero divergence from the One True Path: no substitutions, omissions, changes, or additions. Of particular importance with your GD is starting with a good edge. The balsa will not make a mediocre edge into a science fiction sharp edge. It will take a good 1µ edge or 12k edge, skillfully done, and make it so. You have to have a good edge to begin with, to get the kind of results that hardcore users of The Method brag about. IIRC you hit it with 3µ paste on leather. That is a serious downgrade in shaveworthiness from say a 12k Naniwa edge, which is a very popular and standard finisher. So you may have to tune up that razor a bit on maybe 1µ lapping film on acrylic, according to The Method. Get it treetopping well off the film first, and then the balsa progression will amaze you.

Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade
It's all in there. Read all the sub threads, end to end. I know, it's a lot, but The Method has evolved a lot from initial conception and you don't want to miss out on something good.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am a convert to the “Method” and have used it for the past four years with great success. It is easily learned and produces an extremely fine edge as long as the instructions are precisely followed. It also eliminates having to dress stones. As far as dressing your leather strop goes, that is a good way to ruin it because you will never be able to get the dressing out of it.

Top Bottom