What's new

Just bought some Wyzamet Iridium Supers ...

A 250 pack :a11:
Saw it come up on the 'Bay (a rare event) and couldn't resist. Thoughts on whether these are truly any different than a Polsilver?

Wyzamet is a Polish company. The were the original manufacturers of the Polsilver blades. Gillette (PPI) purchased the rights to manufacturer the Polsilver blades at their factory in St. Petersburg, Russia. This is similar to Gillette purchasing the rights to make Wilkinson Sword blades. The Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword blades are similar to, but not necessarily identical to the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades made in Germany by Edgewell. Thus, if the Wyzamet super iridium blades are made in Poland, they are likely similar to the Polsilver blades made in Russia, but they are not necessarily identical as they are made in a different factory.

A 250 pack :a11:
Saw it come up on the 'Bay (a rare event) and couldn't resist. Thoughts on whether these are truly any different than a Polsilver?

If the below tucks are the blades you bought, then yes, I find them superior to the Polsilvers that are readily available. The Wizamets are my favorite blade. They are extremely smooth and can last up to 10 shaves a blade for me. With my thick, fast growing beard, I’ve never had another blade do that.

E1759067-D270-433E-9920-0322DBCFA8B3.jpeg

This is similar to Gillette purchasing the rights to make Wilkinson Sword blades. The Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword blades are similar to, but not necessarily identical to the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades made in Germany by Edgewell.

Gillette own the rights for 'Wilkinson Sword' just in the Indian market, and they make DE blades at two factories one in India & one in China under 'Gillette Wilkinson Sword'. IMO, the MIC is the best modern blade with 'Wilkinson Sword' on it's wrapper and the MIA is a solid middle of the road performer. I'm not very keen on the German made one though, but as ever YMMV.

Last edited:
Rayclem is correct. Wizamet made blades , DE razors and straight razors, including the coveted " Surgeon's Model "..... I've tried the Russian blades, they are excellent, but the Wizamet blades , made in LODZ Poland , were smoother and longer lasting.
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

^ OP here. I agree, about the Polish Polsilvers. I bought one tuck; they are a great blade and smoother than modern Polsilvers. But the 250 I just picked up are NOS Petersburg Iridium Supers, which (I'm pretty sure) predate the modern Petersburg Polsilvers but postdate the Polish Polsilvers. I.e. these:

s-l1600.jpg

Opinion seems to be divided on whether these Petersburg SIs are identical to modern Polsilvers. I figure the packaging is cool and purchasing another 250 polsilvers of any type can't be a bad thing :001_302: If these are = or > modern Polsilvers, I may load up on these and sell off my moderns, because these come in tucks of 10, which I much prefer.

The Wizamet marked Iridiums made in Russia are the same as the Polsilver Super Iridium made in Russia. I have both and have been comparing them in different razors.

The Wizamet marked Iridiums made in Russia are the same as the Polsilver Super Iridium made in Russia. I have both and have been comparing them in different razors.

Yes, and in the archives here on the forum there are various SxS tests reaching the exact same conclusion. I know I did.

Rayclem is correct. Wizamet made blades , DE razors and straight razors, including the coveted " Surgeon's Model "..... I've tried the Russian blades, they are excellent, but the Wizamet blades , made in LODZ Poland , were smoother and longer lasting.View attachment 990807 View attachment 990808 View attachment 990809

Yes sir, I have a large bundle of these Lodz made Wizamet Stainless Blades and agree they are terrific! The Lodz SI blades are also just a stubble hair above the modern version in my opinion. Special blades came out of that factory...

The brown Lodz made Polsilver Stainless are one of the most wonderful blades, indeed. In 2008, when I heard the Lodz plant stopped making them, I went to stores and seeked the last that could be bought. Accumulated quite a stash. Still have some 200. Actually prefer them to the Polsiver Super Iridium.

OP, I have 500 of the ones you bought and I they are same as modern Pols. These are my favorite and everyday go to blades, an excellent blade for sure but not the fabled LODz.
@ivan_101 @malocchio Have you used the Polsilvers in the picture I attached? Malocchio Do they compare well to the ones you have in your stash or nearly the same as modern Pols? I tried but not able to have a direct reference of information about the ones in attached picture.
I am interested in these but at the price point I don't want to pay extra money for probably the same blade as modern polsilvers out of PPI. Appreciate any other information you may like to share. Thanks
Polsilver.jpg

HereticHermit
Yes I have used hundreds of the brown blades. Please notice the model - Polsilver Stainless, not Polsilver Super Iridium. They have nothing in common with the Polsilver Super Iridium made in Russia. Less sharp, but still sharp. Also the longevity is very good.

OP, I have 500 of the ones you bought and I they are same as modern Pols. These are my favorite and everyday go to blades, an excellent blade for sure but not the fabled LODz.
@ivan_101 @malocchio Have you used the Polsilvers in the picture I attached? Malocchio Do they compare well to the ones you have in your stash or nearly the same as modern Pols? I tried but not able to have a direct reference of information about the ones in attached picture.
I am interested in these but at the price point I don't want to pay extra money for probably the same blade as modern polsilvers out of PPI. Appreciate any other information you may like to share. Thanks
View attachment 991387

OP here, not Malocchio, sorry, but while we wait for him here's my 2 cents. I have a few of these Lodz blades. These ones:

polsilver.jpg

I do find them a little smoother / different than current production; that's what got me looking around for "old" Polsilvers in the first place, from which I ended up with the Petersburg Wyzaments, which, apparently, are exactly the same as modern Polsilvers LOL (but cheaper ... a lot cheaper. $0.17 per blade)

Yes , I have used and still use the Russian Polsilver Iridiums.... I like them , a nice sharp blade, but the old Polish Polsilvers are smoother and longer lasting than any other Polsilver I have ever used...I think the blades TOSTIG and SPACE_CADET have are the same ones I have , only in the older box / wrappers. The box I have are from the very last run made in LODZ....Shaving.ie in Ireland "may" have some left, the full box contains 250 blades....

Yes , I have used and still use the Russian Polsilver Iridiums.... I like them , a nice sharp blade, but the old Polish Polsilvers are smoother and longer lasting than any other Polsilver I have ever used...I think the blades TOSTIG and SPACE_CADET have are the same ones I have , only in the older box / wrappers. The box I have are from the very last run made in LODZ....Shaving.ie in Ireland "may" have some left, the full box contains 250 blades....
Tostig bought a new russian production Polsilvers before the latest/modern packing. The 5 blades picture he posted is from remaining NOS stash.
Are these blades less sharp than current Russian Pols? I do have latest Pols but I don’t want a duller blade so I was wondering how the old stock does? Latest Pols give me 5-6 good shaves and my beard type can use Feathers only for 3 shaves before they start to tug. If NOS is any good or better than Russian Pols, I am considering them for even more comfortable shaves. Thoughts?

Top Bottom