What's new

Just bought my first straight!

Today's shave was not nearly as wonderful as yesterdays. The extra beard growth did make a difference. My face is smooth today, but also more sensitive. The blade didn't feel as smooth as it did yesterday. No nicks or cuts today at least. I am really loving MWF. I only started using it since starting with a straight, but man does it give great lather.

Well, I got two razors in the mail last night, one of which I used this morning. It was a puma special, and wow. This blade cut through the beard like it was nothing. Which let's me know that the blade I had been using needs to see the hone. I do have razor burn though. I am not sure what is causing the razor burn though. Would it be bad angle, or too much pressure?

Tonight when I got home, there was something waiting for me in the mail box. Now so far the razors I have used have been a 4/8, 9/16, and a 5/8. None of them felt like they had any weight at all to them. Well I opened my package, this is what I found.
View attachment 150870View attachment 150871View attachment 150872

This is a 6/8 round point. Not sure of the grind. On the tang it says
George Butler & Co.
Trinity Works
Sheffield
England

This is my first razor that actually feels like it weighs something. The scales are redheart. Based simply off of popping hairs on the back of my hand. This is the sharpest blade I have recieved. I swear a couple hairs were simply scared off.

I got this from Brian at A Razor's Tale.

Brian,
Thank you. This razor looks amazing. The scales are beautiful. My pictures do not do them justice.

I used the 6/8 today. All I can say is wow. Compared to today's shave, I am not sure the other razors were as sharp as they should have been. They all had some slight tugging or pulling. The 6/8 that I used today. Nothing! The razor met beard, and then the beard was simply gone. No effort at all to cut through the beard. I now know that I like big razors. It just feels more natural holding something that I can actually feel the weight of. The thickness of the spine/tang really made a big difference in my grip, and the confidence I had holding it.

I do have a question about my razor. One one side of the tang it reads.
George Butler & Co.
Trinity Works
Sheffield
England

On the other side it says.
No. 0

What does the No. 0 mean?
Also does anyone have an idea of the possible time frame this razor would have been made?

Today I used my 6/8 George Butler, with MWF. Either my shaves are getting quicker, or I am getting better at lathering MWF. I didn't have to relather nearly as much as I have been. Today's shave was absolutley fantastic! My face feels amazingly smooth. There was no irritation or burning afterwards. I am really falling in love with this 6/8. It has a thick spine, and just feels good when I hold it. I am also falling in love with MWF, and face lathering. Before using straights I was a cream, and scuttle user. Since starting straights my scuttle simply soaks my brush while I shower. It's interesting to see how changing the instrument being used to shave, changes what you want to use in regards to soap/cream. Even how you choose to lather that soap/cream up. I am definitely hooked on straights. In fact I haven't even picked up my DE since my first straight shave. Something like three weeks maybe even longer since my last DE shave.

Top Bottom