What's new

Just bought my first diesel pickup

For a while now I have been saving up to buy a pickup truck. Early in the search I got turned on to diesel trucks. Finally I found one with a rebuilt engine. I has rust rockers and cab corners (not unusual for Illinois). For the price I paid, I was paying for the rebuilt engine and the owner was tossing in the rest of the truck. A bad alternator killed the batteries. I put new ones in only notice that the alternator was only putting out 12v at idle (installed a monitor to be able to see this). New alternator will be in tomorrow (don't want to drive it and ruin 2 more batteries). Bed cover came today and I installed it. I love diesel engines. Loud and fun. Truck puts down 400hp as it sits and is capable of being tuned for more horsepower. It has a 6in lift and off-road wheels and tires. I have a friend who is going to cut out the rusted rockers and weld in new ones for me. Without further ado, here is Ole Black Betty!!!
proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Very nice. I'm going to get a bigger truck soon. My age is telling me that an old Toyota Tacoma is too small and I'm too fat!

There is lots of rocker rust and the bottom of the DS front door is rusting. I can get another door for about $300 and I have a local guy is is going to cut out the rockers and weld new ones in. The previous owner had all of his receipts (over $33k). 7k on the motor rebuilt from a long block with new heads, o-ringed and studded. Basically, I bought a new engine and the guy tossed in the rest of the truck for free. Once the rockers (inner and outer) are welded in and the door replaced that ends the rust issue. For the price I paid, no truck is going to be perfect. The previous owner took care of the expensive issues so I felt that the rust was acceptable (and fixable).

Top Bottom