What's new

Just bought a pilot metropolitan, need to know daily use ink info. has a fine nib

38... maybe?

There are a lot of variables that could effect this, such as personal writing style and type of paper etc, but I would venture a guess that you could get about 8+ pages per cartridge, so ballpark 38 carts?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Lots of variables there ... writing style, paper absorbency, choice of ink ... but if you plan on writing that much, maybe a converter and bottle of ink will be a better bet ... a lot cheaper for sure.

Lots of variables there ... writing style, paper absorbency, choice of ink ... but if you plan on writing that much, maybe a converter and bottle of ink will be a better bet ... a lot cheaper for sure.

Ink transport would be a issue. Also, I'm from the generation that writes everything in cursive. Paper would be standard business pad .

Ink choice here is a big question - how many pages a day? If it's something that can be done with a single cartridge or fill with a converter, then you can refill every evening.

I would suggest that to start, get one package of cartridges and see how long a single cartridge lasts. It's possible that a single fill would last a full day, then using a converter and filling the pen every evening will be the most economical. Or re-using the empty cartridges while carrying a spare for back-up. Determine how many cartridges a day you need before committing to enough ink for 300 pages.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ink transport would be a issue.
You mean transporting the pen "inked up" rather than "dry"? Generally speaking that will not be an issue as long as you can keep the pen upright (nib pointing to the sky). Even at a partial angle so the nib is the highest part, it need not be totally straight up and down, will work fine. The pen lying on its side is generally okay at least for shorter periods of time.

Of course, one benefit of converters over the cartridge is you can empty out the converter and put the ink back in the bottle if you need to.

Did the pen come with a converter? Normally you get one. Either the sack-type ...

proxy.php

... where you squeeze the two metal prongs together and they compress the rubber sack between them. When the sack expands again, it sucks up ink from the bottle.

Or, the twisty-turn-y kind where you twist the nob on the end and the plunger goes up and down.

proxy.php

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Are you headed out on a big trip soon, or do you have time to buy a box of cartridges and see how long they last for you?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
FYI what bottled inks work well with this pen?

All of them.

Seriously, this pen will work well with most inks. You will find a personal favourite. Right now, I’m digging Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies’ iron gall ink ... but you have to order it from England so ... it won’t arrive by Friday.

I love my Pilot Iroshizuku inks in my Pilot pens! I use mainly F and EF nibs and love the extra wetness provided by these inks. My two favorites are Asa Gao and Kon Peki.

Of you are going the pilot cartridge route I would say you can't go wrong with pilot blue/black. I use that ink a lot and it never lets me down at work

Top Bottom