What's new

Just back from Paris...

Ah the City of Light. Romance, cuisine, wine, Joie de Vivre... and Planete Rasoir. Went to Paris with my significant other to have a commitment ceremony just for ourselves. We've been a couple to 10 years, it seemed time to make it more official but we are in our 40s, have both been married, have been caring for kids and my elderly father and decided enough was enough, we would be indulgent and selfish and go to Paris for a ceremony and vacation by ourselves. Neither of us had previously been to Paris and we have a French dog, so it was perfect. I also quietly and not so quietly longed to shop for European shaving products and equipment. She was not surprised and surprisingly supportive, as she always is.

Now to the report card: I give it a solid B. I had high hopes for the trip in regards to finding all manner of scents and soaps but was a little disappointed. Also didn't find a much in the way of equipment, although Planéte Rasoir was amazing and very tempting.

Now for the haul:
IMG_1804 (1).jpeg

So, you see before you examples of most of what was purchased. I did get another MdC scent, Original, and 3 bowls of Monsavon. The Monsavon I am moving into glass jars with flip tops and gaskets to prevent drying out. Just so happens that the jars I have are French as well, La Parfait. Should work perfectly.

The Emerald Water and the Benedictine after shave were both purchased at the L'Artisanat Monastique, a wonderful shop that supports the Monastic missions throughout Europe and Africa. The Emerald water smells interesting and feels good. I've only used it for one shave but my face felt great after a touch and go shave with a razor I was unfamiliar with.

My disappointment came when I couldn't find much of the previously talked about soaps. I couldn't find Pre de Provence, Tadé, and other European shaving products anywhere. I went to multiple pharmacies and multiple grocers without luck. Planéte Rasoir had some things but mostly things that I could get online. They did have the Valobra soft soap which I did not buy but now regret not getting.

Planéte Rasoir was impressive. If you have a chance visit, I would do it without hesitation. They were friendly and knowledgeable and even with the language barrier, my lack of French and the salesperson's broken English, we still were able to enjoy the shaving talk. She tempted me with straight razors, Thiers Issards with NOS blades made especially for the shop and beautiful razors with gorgeous scales that were priced accordingly but I showed some gentlemanly restraint and did not purchase. I am primarily a DE shaver but have recently acquired two straights to attempt to learn the skill. I was also interested in the Plissons but the bride was falling asleep in a comfy chair and I felt like I had kept her in the shop long enough. Also would have liked to get a shave there but time did not allow.

All in all a wonderful trip. The ceremony meant the world and the shopping wasn't bad either. See the picture below for and idea of what the ceremony was like. The photo was made by Pulitzer Prize winning photographer David Turnley, who was walking by and moved by our simple symbolic act at the location of his marriage 30 yrs prior. We were blessed by the three photos he made of us and by the Violinist, Daniel Garlitsky, who the officiant knew and was able to secure at short notice. We didn't know at the time but Daniel is a composer/conductor currently in residence at the Paris Conservatory. We are so blessed.
08CA179C-8493-4765-ACB3-DD8CA871C96D_1_105_c.jpeg

Fun stuff like hearing stories :) and super congrats of course :)

When I lived in a tiny island in the Caribbean I could only find rusty single blade yellow bic that looks like a fun haul and sure the great thing is every time you use that stuff it will bring a flood of memories back !

Congratulations and that is a beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing the story with us, I haven't been to Paris in years.

Reactions: Kix
Yeah I was a little surprised to find the only place you can buy Pre de Provence is in the USA. The company is based in Seattle.

It sounds like you did pretty well anyways though. Best of all you have reason to go back for the Plisson and Thiers Issard. I mean your anniversary… 😉

Nice haul, but that ceremony! Wow. My wife and I recently celebrated our 36th. We eloped at the courthouse and for our 20th we went to the Graceland Chapel in Las Vegas and had an Elvis impersonator remarry us. The picture is absolutely stunning.

Congratulations and thank you for the story. I love Paris - even just walking around and checking things out. I have not been there since the pandemic but I imagine it is not at its best right now. I picked up some Monsavon last time I was there - it cost around $1 in a supermarket. But I need more shaving stuff like I need a hole in my head! Enjoy all your new shave goodies! Can't go wrong with MDC!!!

Congrats.

Another store to visit is Printemps Pour Homme. It is a department store and has an extensive shaving section. In fact, Planete Rasoir seems to have a presence there. When I visite I picked up some MdC and that soap had the Planete Rasoir label on it.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
What a beautiful photo, thanks for sharing! Also I'm pleased to learn about Planéte Rasoir, my spouse and I love Paris and have been fortunate to visit several times. I will definitely make it a point to visit that shop on our next trip.

Congratulations, beautiful picture, nothing beats black and white photography in my opinion. This entry mirrors a thread I was planning later this year--I made a promise to my wife back in 2019 that if we worked to pay extra on our house we could afford a trip to Paris (FR, not TX) someday. The only "pandemic positive" for us was with curtailed dining out, travel, unnecessary expenses, etc., we were able to pay off our home ~8-9 years early last November. For Christmas, I surprised her with a trip to Paris in October to celebrate our 36th anniversary (earned me a "get out of the doghouse free" card for Valentine's and Birthday presents--BONUS!). I'm into vintage gear and was hoping to find a few antique stores in Paris, Planéte Rasoir and other stops on the route (I'm open to pointers or suggestions for those in the know). I'd like to get in a straight razor shave as well, but will see what happens. Congratulations again!

First of congratulation, as a man who himself got married in Paris, I can only applaud. There is nothing like Ile Saint Louis for a perfect moment ... I would guess that the weather did not lend itself to a pic nic by the River ... We did cap our weeding that was a small 10 guess ceremony by a champagne drink in the Opera area as well as dinner at a 13th district institution , Chez Gladines ... As for Men store, there is no lack of cool place, BHV pour hommes is one of them as well in the marais area but well too late for the idea at this point ... cheers to your bride and yourself ...

Top Bottom