What's new

Just Another Newcomer With Their First Jnat

The Shapton 8k arrived (nice stone) and I used it with my Naniwa 12k to hone two razors sharp enough to shave. The next step will be to take the same two razors to the Nakayama Asagi to see if I can repeat the exercise.

I am hesitant to say that I nailed it, but I just had a remarkedly comfortable shave with three razors honed on the Nakayama Asagi - plus 15 laps on canvas and 25 laps on leather. And I must say that, after making such a large investment in time and money, it sure feels good to hit this milestone.

20201108_221522116_iOS.jpg

What have I learned? A lot:
  • This is truly a journey and I am guessing that most of you have gone through a similar process.
  • Each step in the honing process matters, starting with the initial bevel.
  • Using a loupe to examine/study your work is essential.
  • It helps to read and watch videos, but it really comes down to spending time doing it and trying different ideas.
And a few comments:
  • Jumping from 6k to 12k is tough. The Shapton 8k really helped.
  • Perhaps 15 laps on canvas and 25 on leather is enough.
  • Setting a consistent, even edge on a Gold Dollar is hard. The grinds on the toes and heels tend to have issues. So far, I have powered through with decent results but there is definitely room for improvement.
  • My King 1k/6k combo is OK. Maybe I should upgrade to a Naniwa Chosera 1k sooner.
The journey continues!

I am hesitant to say that I nailed it, but I just had a remarkedly comfortable shave with three razors honed on the Nakayama Asagi - plus 15 laps on canvas and 25 laps on leather. And I must say that, after making such a large investment in time and money, it sure feels good to hit this milestone.

View attachment 1179869

• This is truly a journey and I am guessing that most of you have gone through a similar process.
  • It helps to read and watch videos, but it really comes down to spending time doing it and trying different ideas.
And a few comments:
  • Setting a consistent, even edge on a Gold Dollar is hard. The grinds on the toes and heels tend to have issues. So far, I have powered through with decent results but there is definitely room for improvement.
  • My King 1k/6k combo is OK. Maybe I should upgrade to a Naniwa Chosera 1k sooner.
The journey continues!

I've been stone hopping lately as well.

the only wisdom I have is this:

having a good bevel setting stone and ensuring a complete and thorough bevel set is critical.

camo

View attachment 1179869

And a few comments:
The journey continues!
Very very well said Frank!

Nice to hear you are proressing in your honing journey. It still continues just in smaller steps.

Well done!

It still continues just in smaller steps.

Yes, about small steps! There is rarely a single key to learning a new skill. It's usually about lots and lots of small things that you learn over time through trial and error - but there can be light-bulb moments when those bigger discoveries are made.

After getting the Shapton HR 8000, I went ahead and bought a Naniwa Professional (Chosera) 1000 and a Shapton HR 4000, and used all three stones for the first time yesterday to set bevels on a Gold Dollar P81 and a 4/8 inch oxidized/rusted Erik Anton Berg (EAB) that I bought on eBay for $25 and cleaned up a bit.

The Naniwa Pro 1k is much easier to use and does not clog up like the King 1k. I was able to quickly set reasonably even and consistent bevels on both razors that each passed the cherry tomato test and were able to shave the hair on my cheeks. I was even able to use slight rolling x-strokes on the non-face side of the GD to extend the bevel to the toe and heel. This achievement was very satisfying.

I then had an easy time using the GD on the Shapton 4k, but when I got to the EAB on the Shapton 4k things took a turn for the worse. With only moderate pressure, the EAB produced a continuous black cloud of swarf on the Shapton 4k which I struggled to control, and the edge seemed to be getting duller. While the Naniwa 1k almost told me when it was done, the Shapton 4k just kept charging ahead removing metal and, because I was so focused on the edge, I missed the fact that I was just removing more and more metal from the spine, and I had to make a real effort to pull back the reins, and back off the stone using lighter and lighter pressure until the sharpness returned.

I then went on to the Shapton 8k using some pressure at first but then quickly backing off. The resulting edges are sharp enough to shave my cheeks and pass HHT. This afternoon's project is to finish up both on the Nakayama Asagi and then shave with both.

I think I learned a bunch of lessons:
  1. You need to remove metal to set a bevel and the Naniwa Pro 1k does this exceedingly well.
  2. A good 1k edge should be sharp enough to shave with.
  3. Sharpness does not seem to come from removing metal alone. You also need to smooth out the striations.
  4. Smoothing out striations comes from backing off using a lighter touch.
  5. The Naniwa 1k will let you know when its done.
  6. Beware of the Shapton 4k - it will just keep charging ahead removing as much metal as you let it. You need to take control of this stone.
  7. Until I gain more confidence on the 1k and 4k, I may invest in a roll of 1 mil Kapton tape*.
Not sure if you can see it from this photo, but there is now more wear on the spine of the EAB than I would like.

*I read a thread in which @Steve56 mentions this tape.

20201122_185637336_iOS.jpg

I purchased a second JNAT which I promise to post a photo of shortly. This will be my first JNAT in need of sealing. I have read all of the threads I could find about sealing. Can anyone comment on this plan:
  • I am intrigued by cashew lacquer, but all of the suppliers that I could find are out of stock.
  • Nail polish sounds like a second rate sealer.
  • Earthpaint Mountain Finish is intriguing, but I could not find any first hand testimonials from anyone who has used the product on stones.
  • I have read about people using lacquers and I have a wooden handle shaving brush that is finished with this Minwax lacquer that feels terrific and has held up really well to water, so I am planning to use this same lacquer to seal the stone:
  • My plan is to gently brush the stone with a nylon brush, cover the top of the stone with paper and painter's tape, place the stone upside down on two small pieces of wood, and apply about four thin coats of the lacquer using the aerosol gloss version.
Should be very easy.

+1 on the Kapton tape.

Real shellac flakes make some of the best looking finish I have ever tried. Super blonde and amber 50/50 mix. I been using it for 4 years and never had a problem. Even A-frames Tokyo liked the looks and he used cashew on the stone when he sent it to me.

I purchased a second JNAT which I promise to post a photo of shortly. This will be my first JNAT in need of sealing. I have read all of the threads I could find about sealing. Can anyone comment on this plan:
  • I am intrigued by cashew lacquer, but all of the suppliers that I could find are out of stock.
  • Nail polish sounds like a second rate sealer.
  • Earthpaint Mountain Finish is intriguing, but I could not find any first hand testimonials from anyone who has used the product on stones.
  • I have read about people using lacquers and I have a wooden handle shaving brush that is finished with this Minwax lacquer that feels terrific and has held up really well to water, so I am planning to use this same lacquer to seal the stone:
  • My plan is to gently brush the stone with a nylon brush, cover the top of the stone with paper and painter's tape, place the stone upside down on two small pieces of wood, and apply about four thin coats of the lacquer using the aerosol gloss version.
Should be very easy.

let us know results if you are able..some pics would be greatly appreciated too!

have a good weekend.

camo

Top Bottom