What's new

Just an Idea: Rentals

So I was thinking of asking someone if I could rent a Merkur Vision for trial when I thought 'would it be possible to create some sort of renting service on B&B for high end items?'

I was thinking if 25 people donated four dollars we could buy a Vision and then people could borrow it for a week at a time for the cost of shipping. If enough people wanted to try it we could even just have people ship it around. When not in use a mod could hang on to the equipment for future renters to try before they buy.

This seems like it might work for many high end items that people wouldn't want to buy before trying. We could easily set up rules for maintenance with each rent, or even pay a little extra to have someone clean it up once in awhile.

At first I thought something like this might be a little risky because it would be all too easy to keep the item being rented, but I think after a little time we come to trust each other enough to do this sort of thing.

Possible items that people might rent?

-Razors
-Moss scuttle
-Brushes? (not sure how people would feel about this)
-???

The idea seems to most easily apply to razors because its very sanitary and easy to maintain razors. I put the scuttle because its very popular and against sanitary. Brushes are a little iffier. Maybe we could even talk to classicshaving to get a discount on 'rental' items since it just might encourage people to order the item after trial.

In any case, what does everyone think about this? Just thought it might be a good idea.

Seen the prices of the items which you want to make available for rent I don't think it would work out.

I think the public to which this rental service is directed to are people who will need at least 2 to 4 weeks of trying out the razor etc before they can actually decide whether they like it or not. I have no idea about the prices you had in mind but renting this and shipping it is already easily 20 to 25% of a new purchase.

While I think it's a good proposition I think the practical feasability would be too much hassle for all this.

This is of course only my opinion so don't let this stop you from further intruducing this.

I see what you mean about the price on many items. But on high end items it seems like the math works out. On an item like the vision the cost of shipping would be 4 dollars or so. If someone else wanted to rent it after you, then they would pay the next four dollars (someone eventually pays 8 dollars to recieve it and then send it to the mods when nobody else wants to rent it). Four dollars to try a hundred dollar razor isn't a bad deal.

Taking time into consideration you might be right. Depends on how long need to test the product for.

Even though I think it might be an idea to further investigate, I think it's dangerous from an owner perspective who makes the items available for rent.

Regarding payments I don't see an issue since this works perfectly with the Sampler packs from both Letterk and Scotto. However I may see an issue in the trust aspect that you mention. Even though this community is very nice and open, the typical target audience exists of people who are most likely rather new to the cumminity making them less trusted than the majority of the members of this board.

Suppose someone decides to change username and keep the item. Of course you have the rental proof from f.e. a Paypal payment, however it would be a nightmare if you decide to take extra actions to get items back etc. I didn't even start about possible damage to the items etc.

I agree that the math may work out for the more expensive razors and brushes etc but I think the managability of all this will be at least a partial showstopper for this nice initiative.

Anyway, I'm not here to blow your idea away. I think it's a very good initiative but I'm playing a criticist over here to make sure that everything is taken into account during the definition of such a rental service.

I will sure follow up on this thread since I find it in essence an interesting idea!

Here's my take from a devil's advocate perspective. Razors......buy them and if you don't like it sell it on one of the forums or on ebay. Brushes.......I want to be real comfortable sending one of my brushes to a newbie and the same deal applies as the razors - don't like it, sell it, probably at a minimal loss. Besides, how many rental brushes would have to be bought. One of each size, shape, bristle etc? Creams and soaps are a no brainer as samples are available and most members are happy to provide a bit to a newbie. Don't like them, sell them.
Most of the gentlemen on the forum have other lives and I, for one, wouldn't want one 'keeper of the tester' to spend his time traveling to and from the post office and being responsible for deciding who's next on the list to receive whatever.
That said, keep those ideas coming.

cheers

for what its worth, i would not mind being the "keeper of the tester" if we can get enough people to agree on particular items, i would not mind fronting the $$$ either. keep me updated.

I'd buy into the rental idea. I have wanted to try an Artist Club for a while, but am unwilling (read: too lazy) to bother buying it if there is a large chance I will just turn around and resell it.

Just my $0.02 worth, I don't think I'd involve myself in this for two reasons. One is the logistics that has already been spoken to. The other is that shipping to and from Canada, where I live, is a slightly bigger headache than just mailing it around the continental US. I'm sure you're all tired of my ranting about this and the Nazi-like Canadian Customs and Excise boot patrol, but it is a reality, and they can arbitrarily open a package and determine its value and charge GST on it, EVEN IF the customs declaration says "gift" or "$9 value" or whatever.

Anyway, if I wanted to try a new razor, I would just research it, but it, try it, then sell it if I really didn't like it. That's why there's a "Shaving Mall" forum here, and lots of RAD-inspired buyers looking for a deal.

Again, a couple of pennies - CDN funds of course, YMMV.

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox said:
Just my $0.02 worth, I don't think I'd involve myself in this for two reasons. One is the logistics that has already been spoken to. The other is that shipping to and from Canada, where I live, is a slightly bigger headache than just mailing it around the continental US. I'm sure you're all tired of my ranting about this and the Nazi-like Canadian Customs and Excise boot patrol, but it is a reality, and they can arbitrarily open a package and determine its value and charge GST on it, EVEN IF the customs declaration says "gift" or "$9 value" or whatever.

Anyway, if I wanted to try a new razor, I would just research it, but it, try it, then sell it if I really didn't like it. That's why there's a "Shaving Mall" forum here, and lots of RAD-inspired buyers looking for a deal.

Again, a couple of pennies - CDN funds of course, YMMV.

Peace,

Pierre
Bravo Pierre! I do not understand how they do it, but you are absolutely correct in the CC&E's handling of parcels. "NAFTA, shmafta! Looks like some good kit from which to protect our citizens! Think I'll have to check it out at home!"

Top Bottom