What's new

Just add a little Bourbon

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So you're making up a soup or a saute, even chili or paella. A little splash of Bourbon might push the dish to greatness. If you are a deacon in the Baptist church don't worry the alcohol burns off leaving a nice smoked goodness.

Joke: Why don't you take a Baptist fishing? Because they drink all the beer.:lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So you're making up a soup or a saute, even chili or paella. A little splash of Bourbon might push the dish to greatness. If you are a deacon in the Baptist church don't worry the alcohol burns off leaving a nice smoked goodness.

Joke: Why don't you take a Baptist fishing? Because they drink all the beer.:lol:
What is the difference between Baptists and Methodists? Methodists will say “hi” to each other in the liquor store :lol:

I modified a beef stew recipe and we have used it often. Add about a half pound of sliced summer sausage. Quarter the slices. Also add about a quarter cup of bourbon. I also added some kernel corn. The bourbon all boils off, except for some flavor. It all makes for more interesting beef stew.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What is the difference between Baptists and Methodists? Methodists will say “hi” to each other in the liquor store :lol:
In the movie "A River Runs Through It" the father is a Presbyterian minister. One of his boys has started dating a Methodist girl, and dad isn't happy.
"Methodists are Baptists who can read" he says with disapproval.

Great line ... I may have the denominations mixed up though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

That's why you never invite only one.

As for the bourbon, you really do need to keep it to "a little splash." Bourbon quickly overwhelms. Where a little can be delicious, a little more can make for a bourbon bomb that mutes or muddies other flavors. I've ruined more than one dish with an overly eager, heavy hand.

My "secret ingredient" often is dry vermouth. The botanicals can be mighty great!

A buddy of mine had a girlfriend who was a great cook. The recipe of hers I liked best was broiled salmon with this glaze: soy sauce, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and a splash of bourbon.

Take beef tenderloin and marinate in bourbon for an hour.Also good in cooked apples or sweet potatoes.My mom who is a big no drinker.Said, it was the best cooked apples ever had..

That's why you never invite only one.

As for the bourbon, you really do need to keep it to "a little splash." Bourbon quickly overwhelms. Where a little can be delicious, a little more can make for a bourbon bomb that mutes or muddies other flavors. I've ruined more than one dish with an overly eager, heavy hand.

My "secret ingredient" often is dry vermouth. The botanicals can be mighty great!
Sweet vermouth in cream sauce is outstanding. Same with Sherry. Depending on the a compliments

Top Bottom