What's new

Just a thought about Zamak

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
You are asking, how long is a piece of string. It really depends on how much you use it and how careful you are. I expect the threaded post is the weak point.
Brass razors last a lot longer.
I only use it on special occasions at the most 3 times a year. The rest of the time I keep wrapped up in a cloth inside a jewellery bag in the back of a drawer in the bedroom. Hopefully it will see me out of my lifetime.

I read somewhere that Jagger now uses a brass screw connected to their zamac cap as does Muhle. Have no idea if that's true or not.
I have read that as well for both Muhle R41 and R89 and Edwin Jagger DE89. My Muhle R41 is a newer and has a number 5 under the cap which means a brass post. I believe a number 4 means the older Zamak post. Don’t know about the others.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There are a few for whom the "seasonal hat" is perfect on their avatar. @Dave himself is definitely one of them. I know that will make no sense in future years unless someone reads it near Halloween...

I have a Merkur "Super Slant" likely made sometime between 1947-1955. It's got a little plating loss, but although it's one of my dream razors I don't use it very often, either. I expect it'll last me a while.

My Fasan Double Slant was a war orphan for sure. Turned up in Bulgaria after a long and probably hard life, with essentially zero plating left on it. I had it CeraKoted and while it doesn't look original it's pretty nice and works OK. It's the absolute loosest razor I've ever used, though. Puts me in mind of transmissions in old pickup trucks. Is that first or third? Who knows. Let the clutch out gently and see what it sounds like...

O.H.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
There are a few for whom the "seasonal hat" is perfect on their avatar. @Dave himself is definitely one of them. I know that will make no sense in future years unless someone reads it near Halloween...

I have a Merkur "Super Slant" likely made sometime between 1947-1955. It's got a little plating loss, but although it's one of my dream razors I don't use it very often, either. I expect it'll last me a while.

My Fasan Double Slant was a war orphan for sure. Turned up in Bulgaria after a long and probably hard life, with essentially zero plating left on it. I had it CeraKoted and while it doesn't look original it's pretty nice and works OK. It's the absolute loosest razor I've ever used, though. Puts me in mind of transmissions in old pickup trucks. Is that first or third? Who knows. Let the clutch out gently and see what it sounds like...

O.H.
I never thought I would see someone post about pot metal razors of that age to me that's just amazing. Thank you for the compliment on my hat 😆. I think yours makes you look like a wizard really nice fit.

I adore my two Merkur Progress razors and really hope the plating lasts for my lifetime.

I use soft water and also apply a drop of silicone lubricant on the thread.
I also have 2 extra top caps in reserve.

Hopefully this'll keep my progress razors going!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My first DE was a Merkur 33 Classic back in 2010. It still looks brand new. After use, I take it apart, spray it with a fine mist of 70% Isopropyl alcohol and wipe it down.

Then put it back in it’s case for It’s next rotation, whenever that is.

I would imagine the main point of failure would be the screw in the top cap. If you keep it clean and dry it in between uses, I would think it should last a good long time.

Top Bottom