What's new

Just a newbie checkin' in!

Hello! I have been reading these forums for the last couple of months and debating on trying a DE razor. WELL i finally gave in and couldn't be happier with the results. I got a gift card to Amazon for my b-day and decided to start working on a shaving set. Got a Murker 180 long handle, Proraso shaving soap (green container), and a tweezman brush. Was happy to be able to get all of this for $55 with shipping. Then came the wait lol. WELL it arrived today and i quickly showered and got ready for a new experience. I was a little nervous about cutting my face up or the ever present razor burn. I only shave once a week or so because my neck gets chewed up by every razor i have ever tried. Anyway i pulled out the brush and soap and started whipping away to make a decent foam. Will need a little practice at this. Onto the application of the lather. It felt amazing. hot lather being brushed into my weeks worth of beard. i could feel the brush pressing lather into every nook and cranny. After getting on what i felt was acceptable amount of soap i grabbed the razor and prepared for what i thought was about to hurt. I gently glided the razor from my side burn down (WTG)...... "There was no way that took hair off... *** it did... and didnt hurt!". I am still shocked by the lack of friction and ease at which the hair was being removed. Finished one pass WTG, re-lathered, and decided to go ATG. AGAIN preparing for pain or discomfort. None to be had. Finishing my second pass i then touched up a couple of spots where my hair grows funny. Gave a cold rinse and inspected. 2 nicks that i didn't even feel. So here i stood looking at my face that is usually red and burning after thrashing it with a mach 3. I stood in shock and amazement for a moment just to think about why it took me 30 years to try this. After a quick splash of the ole' stand by Aqua Velva and a little after shave balm i knew what must be done. I must get on B&B and give credit where it is due. So thank you guys for giving one old hard headed Polock the confidence to try a DE out. I will never go back. The mach 3 has been put away (can't make myself toss it as i just purchased 5 new cartridges). My face is happy. No razor burn. The 2 tiny nicks are nothing to cry about. And my wife loves the smoothness. Anyway i have typed long enough, i just had to get on here and share my experience with some folks who would understand lol Thanks again and i look forward to diving into B&B.

-The Polock

PS- I was wondering if anyone in the Houston area could share where they go to buy new blades? I just used the Murker blade that came with my razor, but will need new ones soon enough. Have checked walgreens and CVS and didn't see any with the shaving products. Ok fine one more qustion then i swear i'm done. About how long should a blade last? Or does it really just depend on the blade and my hair? Thanks again. Looking forward to responses. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Welcome and enjoy. Walgreens/WalMart/Target should sell blades, and your local Mall bath and body shop should sell shaving stuff, but I would look around and get a blade sampler. It will help you find what works for you. Also a cream/soap sampler. There is lots of product to try.

$iPHONE4S 018.jpgGuess i could add this. Nothing great but it will get me started. ALSO i had to add the Gold bond LOL i know it doesn't necessarily have to do with the shaving part. BUT it is part of the grooming. Any man that has never bonded up the goods before a long day doesn't know what they are missing!

Welcome to the club. I just started about 3 months ago. I love it, too. Glad your maiden voyage was pleasurable. You may have to go on-line for blades. I can't find them in Baton Rouge. As far as how long do they last, different blades, different face, different blade longevity. There are threads on B&B on this topic. You should go to antique shops to look for vintage razors. I just purchased a vintage Gillette Tech and love it.

Ok i will have to check out Amazon again. I did see several blade sampler packs. Thanks for the welcome Barry!

Oh hell yes. A reason to not be absolutely disgruntled when my wife demands an antique shopping day! Thanks for the welcome and good news dpittman lol

Welcome to the club! Your great initial experience kinda makes one wonder if maybe Gillette ought to start all over again, and really get behind good old fashioned DE shaving like it used to be. Too much profit in the cartridges, I guess. As for me, I'm working on my technique, enjoying the results, and spreading the word one friend at a time. Enjoy the forum! Steve

Welcome to B&B. Go ahead and get a blade sampler. If you end up liking the Astra SP blades you can get a 100 pack for under $11.00 on Amazon. Enjoy your journey. I know I am.

WARHAWK

Welcome - it looks like you have some nice gear and you're off to a good start! +1 to Get a blade sampler that includes a pack of Astra SP blades - everyone has their favorite and Astra SP are mine. Have fun!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B. Sounds you you are doing great. I agree with WARHAWK. Get a sample and try them all out. Make sure you don't change too much at once or you won't know which piece is helping vs hurting you.

Welcome! your off to an awesome start, I can relate to you first time anxiety, I took 2 shots of vodka first! no reason, it was easy and has only gotten better, for blades, you may want to follow the usual advice and get a sampler pack, they are best purchased on line for best price, the more you buy, the more you save, I paid $13 delivered free for 100 ASTRA SP blades an have seen them even cheaper!

Well i thought i should come on and add a second day update. I did something today that i have NEVER been able to do in my 14 years of shaving. I woke up and was wanting to shave again but new the awful aftermath that would follow. I have never been able to shave 2 days in a row. I have been lucky to be able to shave ever 3rd day or so. usually just once a week to avoid the pain. Being full of excitement about my pleasant shave yesterday i thought "what the heck!". Hit the shower and got ready for another shave. Well it's done. There was a little irritation around my mustache area and cheeks. But after some clubman and aftershave balm it cleared up. I still cannot believe it! Not only the best shave of my life yesterday but being able to shave the next day is crazy. Wondering if i start shaving everyday will my face adjust and eventually be irritation free. Guess i can try! Thank you again to everyone who welcomed me. Still not sure if i should be excited or afraid of the money i will undoubtedly spend on this new revelation and celebration of MAN.

Top Bottom